No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing with the IFA's is alot has to do with the relationships they have with the organizations. SO it may take a few years for them to start being able to get top IFA's to sign. I just don't want to see them regularly trading away the IFA money. Before the trades the Marlins still had 1.75 million to spend. So if they tried to acquire some they could have very easily been in the same range as the Rangers are now.

You may be right on Smith I just thought last year was the first time he had any time in the majors so I figured he still had one or two options left.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
      The thing with the IFA's is alot has to do with the relationships they have with the organizations. SO it may take a few years for them to start being able to get top IFA's to sign. I just don't want to see them regularly trading away the IFA money. Before the trades the Marlins still had 1.75 million to spend. So if they tried to acquire some they could have very easily been in the same range as the Rangers are now.

You may be right on Smith I just thought last year was the first time he had any time in the majors so I figured he still had one or two options left.
      I think Smith and Cooper have 1 option left(could be wrong). Telis and Nicolino are out of options

Ya but he is signing for 2.5-2.75(which is why Texas is trading for more cash now) so Miami would have had to trade for another million and miss out on 3 guys for a maybe?

Exactly right about IFA 2019 will be the earliest we will start getting top guys which is why I said we should try for Martinez or other Cubans in 2018. Denbo and Blakeley have the relationships but the 2018 guys are already "signed". Would love to see Blakeley use his contacts to get Puason in 2019(he had him signed for the Braves at 14 so)

As long as we use ALL of our money every year I won't complain. I prefer 1 or 2 Top Guys but as long as add talent instead of sitting on $$ I am happy
      Last edited by tjfla; 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Telis is useless. Guy couldn't hit himself out of a wet paper bag. Nicolino should be our long guy in the pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
          Telis is useless. Guy couldn't hit himself out of a wet paper bag. Nicolino should be our long guy in the pen.
          Ya Telis is the absolute worst. The rare 0 tool player. He had promise at one point but id be cool with dumping him. Nicolino was always a guy even when his K rate dropped who i thought could be a real nice innings eater because his walk rate is still super low but man he's been bad. In the minors he could at least go deep into games because he was efficient with his pitches but him in the majors is just hard to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Ya Telis is the absolute worst. The rare 0 tool player. He had promise at one point but id be cool with dumping him. Nicolino was always a guy even when his K rate dropped who i thought could be a real nice innings eater because his walk rate is still super low but man he's been bad. In the minors he could at least go deep into games because he was efficient with his pitches but him in the majors is just hard to watch.
            This coming from the guy who was President of his Fan Club in 2016. He can be a decent AAA C option but nothing special.

Comment

• Nicolino is useless. I'd rather have Despaigne as a long guy. If you waive Nicolino I'd be stunned if he didn't pass waivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                This coming from the guy who was President of his Fan Club in 2016. He can be a decent AAA C option but nothing special.
                Ya believe it or not I can be wrong about a player and admit it. Shocking, I know. I just wish i could be 100% right about everything like you.

Comment

• Who's the back-up C if not Telis? Chad Wallach? I'm no Telis fan, but he's better than Wallach don't you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    Nicolino is useless. I'd rather have Despaigne as a long guy. If you waive Nicolino I'd be stunned if he didn't pass waivers.
                    Well they can pretty much keep everyone so I'm not sure this discussion even matters?

Straily, Urena, pick 3 of Conley/C. Smith/J. Garcia/Despaigne/Nicolino

Ziegler, Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Wittgren, E. Hernandez, and the 2 losers above in the bullpen

-If Garcia is starting in AAA for innings, then Ellington or O'Grady makes the team
                    -If Chen is somehow healthy and/or they sign a veteran innings eater, I'm pretty sure no sleep is lost for whatever one-two guys get dropped/optioned, which is probably just optioning J. Garcia and Despaigne

I mean, it ain't pretty but who cares?

Just get to Alcantara, Peters, Richards, Gallen, Brigham, I'll drop Andy Beltre's name so I don't get yelled at, and probably another guy or two when the next waive of trades happen. August could be fun watching all the kids.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    Who's the back-up C if not Telis? Chad Wallach? I'm no Telis fan, but he's better than Wallach don't you think?
                    Yea Wallach. Who cares who wins though? Just play good defense and help the pitchers grow.

Comment

Who's the back-up C if not Telis? Chad Wallach? I'm no Telis fan, but he's better than Wallach don't you think?
                      I dont think either are good but I think id like to see Wallach as the backup C just to see what we have and maybe just use Telis as like the first guy off the bench as a pinch hitter when our pitchers dont go deep if we are scared of losing him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of Jarlin, has he even pitched thus far in the spring? I love the idea of him starting but i see it likely he starts the year in AAA if we really want to try him as a starter.

I think Conley is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the rotation too at least to start the year so long as he isnt a trainwreck in the spring. I think it will be Straily, Urena, Conley, Smith, and Despaigne with Nicolino as the long guy in the pen unless he shows something in spring. Then Hernandez as a bullpen guy just because we dont want to lose him.

Comment

I dont think either are good but I think id like to see Wallach as the backup C just to see what we have and maybe just use Telis as like the first guy off the bench as a pinch hitter when our pitchers dont go deep if we are scared of losing him.
                        Realmuto, Wallach
                        Bour, Cooper
                        Castro
                        Rojas, Riddle
                        Prado
                        Dietrich
                        Maybin
                        Ortega, Van Slyke

Not sure where they can put Telis (as they really do need to carry two OF even if not Ortega/SVS) assuming they are carrying 8 RP. I guess they could probably hide a pitcher in AAA as they only need a 5th SP 4-5 times before the middle of may and they can probably make some smart call ups to juggle for a few weeks.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of Jarlin, has he even pitched thus far in the spring? I love the idea of him starting but i see it likely he starts the year in AAA if we really want to try him as a starter.

I think Conley is pretty much guaranteed a spot in the rotation too at least to start the year so long as he isnt a trainwreck in the spring. I think it will be Straily, Urena, Conley, Smith, and Despaigne with Nicolino as the long guy in the pen unless he shows something in spring. Then Hernandez as a bullpen guy just because we dont want to lose him.
                          Telis was terrible off the bench last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Telis was terrible off the bench last year.
                            I know. I think he sucks. USed to think he had potential but he clearly is bad. I was just saying from the standpoint of the team not wanting to lose him for nothing as he is out of options.

- - - - - - - - - -

Any updates on when the hell Chen is going to do anything and what the deal is with Prado?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Well they can pretty much keep everyone so I'm not sure this discussion even matters?

Straily, Urena, pick 3 of Conley/C. Smith/J. Garcia/Despaigne/Nicolino

Ziegler, Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Wittgren, E. Hernandez, and the 2 losers above in the bullpen

-If Garcia is starting in AAA for innings, then Ellington or O'Grady makes the team
                              -If Chen is somehow healthy and/or they sign a veteran innings eater, I'm pretty sure no sleep is lost for whatever one-two guys get dropped/optioned, which is probably just optioning J. Garcia and Despaigne

I mean, it ain't pretty but who cares?

Just get to Alcantara, Peters, Richards, Gallen, Brigham, I'll drop Andy Beltre's name so I don't get yelled at, and probably another guy or two when the next waive of trades happen. August could be fun watching all the kids.

- - - - - - - - - -

Yea Wallach. Who cares who wins though? Just play good defense and help the pitchers grow.
                              Ellington and O'Grady have to make the team over Nicolino I would think. If Ellington can't make the team out of Spring this year, I'm not sure what we have.

Comment

Ellington and O'Grady have to make the team over Nicolino I would think. If Ellington can't make the team out of Spring this year, I'm not sure what we have.
                                I think Nicolino has no options left so thats why he would make it over them. Usually injuries kind of settle these things for themselves by the end of spring though aside from 1-2 roster spots.

Locks to be on the opening day roster-

C- JT
                                1b- Bour
                                2b- Castro
                                SS- Rojas
                                3b- Depending how much they care about service time I would consider Anderson to be a lock, but for the sake of discussion i wont consider him a lock because i think its a good chance they go the service time route.
                                LF- Dietrich
                                CF- Maybin
                                RF- Van Slyke/Cooper

Bench-
                                Wallach/Telis
                                Van Slyke/Cooper other guy

SP's- Straily, Urena, Conley, Caleb Smith,
                                RP's- Ziegler, Tazawa, Bearclaw, Wittgren, Steckenrider, Nicolino (think they wont lose him for nothing especially with the roster we have)

Then you have the guys who will be on the roster so long as they are healthy by opening day- Prado, Riddle, Chen.
                                then you have the rule 5 guys who i think we will keep at least 1 of, likely Hernandez given the reviews coming out of camp.

If you include the injured guys (which we'll see but I think Prado will be ready and I think Riddle will be ready either opening day or shortly after), thats 22 guys or so already so we're really talking about 3 roster spots and maybe 4 because Chen is a complete wild card.

The weird thing that will play itself out is that we have a lot of pitchers who could potentially fill a spot in the bullpen or take the last rotation spot but there are a lot of things that are going to go into the decision aside from pure ability like the rule 5 guys needing to make it to stay in the organization, not wanting to start the service time of guys like Alcantara/Peters, and wanting to keep starters getting starters level workloads like they might want to do with Jarlin in AAA.

Ultimately though I think injuries/ineffectiveness will make just about all the decisions for themselves though.

- - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone have a list of the guys in camp who need to be on the roster opening day or we will either lose them or risk losing them? Off the top of my head I have Nicolino, Telis, Hernandez, and Graves? Am i missing anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                                X