Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    That wouldn't be a horrible return. There are some pieces to like. You're not getting that elite guy, but at least you're getting multiple prospects that could be impact players. I'd still rather one of the big named prospects, but I never really expected them to get that, so if they're set on moving Yelich, I could get on board with that return.
    Exactly. Like said hadn't heard anything about Yelich to Milwaukee but makes alot of sense if Milwaukee wants him. U get Brinson who has power and u have an OF of Martinez/Sierra/Brinson with Brian Miller as 4th OF in 2020. Then add 2 more arms in Burnes and Ortiz who are a year away but are legit #2/#3 guys. With 4th guy we can either go with another arm like Freddy Peralta or more likely a Isan Diaz or Dubon to play 2B for us. True Brinson isn't elite but is Top 20 Guy with power and size,could be another Stanton with lower BA

Then if they want Castro or Straily u see what they will give up and make even a bigger deal. SF said to want one of their OF,maybe a 3way? SF gets a Milwaukee OF,they get Castro or Straily and Miami gets Chris Shaw from SF and another arm from Milwaukee

Its not a bad deal at all IF that is the offer(No clue cause buddy hasn't texted me back yet) but I also feel like we should be added the most amount of talent as we can before 2020 no matter what position. Trade Yelich,JT,Straily,Ziegler,Tazawa,Bearclaw,Bour,Cas tro and suck for 2/3 years

- - - - - - - - - -

As far as Jeter not mentioning IFA all u need to know about it is this

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-int...ez/c-264941028

When was the last time we were even mentioned as a Favorite for an IFA guy?

People don't realize that the IFA market is set like 2 years in advance-guys for 2018 have been "signed" since LY already. Give them another year and u will see the Marlins back heavy in the IFA market. Denbo is big into IFA and believes its important
    Last edited by tjfla; 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Exactly. Like said hadn't heard anything about Yelich to Milwaukee but makes alot of sense if Milwaukee wants him. U get Brinson who has power and u have an OF of Martinez/Sierra/Brinson with Brian Miller as 4th OF in 2020. Then add 2 more arms in Burnes and Ortiz who are a year away but are legit #2/#3 guys. With 4th guy we can either go with another arm like Freddy Peralta or more likely a Isan Diaz or Dubon to play 2B for us. True Brinson isn't elite but is Top 20 Guy with power and size,could be another Stanton with lower BA

Then if they want Castro or Straily u see what they will give up and make even a bigger deal. SF said to want one of their OF,maybe a 3way? SF gets a Milwaukee OF,they get Castro or Straily and Miami gets Chris Shaw from SF and another arm from Milwaukee

Its not a bad deal at all IF that is the offer(No clue cause buddy hasn't texted me back yet) but I also feel like we should be added the most amount of talent as we can before 2020 no matter what position. Trade Yelich,JT,Straily,Ziegler,Tazawa,Bearclaw,Bour,Cas tro and suck for 2/3 years

- - - - - - - - - -

As far as Jeter not mentioning IFA all u need to know about it is this

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-int...ez/c-264941028

When was the last time we were even mentioned as a Favorite for an IFA guy?

People don't realize that the IFA market is set like 2 years in advance-guys for 2018 have been "signed" since LY already. Give them another year and u will see the Marlins back heavy in the IFA market. Denbo is big into IFA and believes its important
      I mean that's a great sign if we're regarded as having serious interest on a guy already.

It wouldn't be that difficult for him to say that publicly though (that we'll spend more on the draft/IFA).

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        I live 10 minutes from the stadium and have lived in south florida my entire life (aside from 4 years at FSU), im pretty sure i have a grasp on the issues. the major reason for low attendance was not Loria. Im not claiming some people didnt go because of him. But it is not to the point where we could bring back the same exact team and all of a sudden have this instant major increase in attendance. That's simply wrong. No team in this market draws crowds consistently without being a winner. Even the heat the last few years havent drawn exceedingly well post-lebron when the teams have been average at best. I'd know because i've had season tickets every year since Shaq's first year. I had dolphins season tickets from around 1998-2006 and saw the same thing. It's not a Loria issue, its a market issue with sports teams.

Again, im not saying there arent fans who sit there now and say that they would be going consistently if they just brought back the same team. I'm saying that if this team was still the same mediocre team we've been essentially since 2003, they wouldnt actually have gone and the overall attendance increase would be negligible. The increase in the amount of people who would be going more now would be offset by the lack of overall interest in yet another under .500 team.

- - - - - - - - - -

honest question for maddawg cause im genuinely interested- if we brought back the same exact team except obviously Loria is no longer the owner, what do you think our attendance is?
        Attendance would have increased by 25% I believe....which is still not great, but this year will be much worse....wait and see.

And mind you, that you are thinking this reboot will work.....what if it doesn't ? With Michael Hill around I'd almost guarantee it won't....so in 3 years and things aren't working out....maybe 1 top 100 prospect and still a farm ranked in the bottom ⅓ in MLB....what do you tell the fans then ? The ones that have been subjected to 2 or 3 or more seasons of 100+ losses....

Just because it worked for the Royals & Cubs doesn't mean it will for the Marlins

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
          Attendance would have increased by 25% I believe....which is still not great, but this year will be much worse....wait and see.

And mind you, that you are thinking this reboot will work.....what if it doesn't ? With Michael Hill around I'd almost guarantee it won't....so in 3 years and things aren't working out....maybe 1 top 100 prospect and still a farm ranked in the bottom ⅓ in MLB....what do you tell the fans then ? The ones that have been subjected to 2 or 3 or more seasons of 100+ losses....

Just because it worked for the Royals & Cubs doesn't mean it will for the Marlins
          True, there are no guarantees, but your scenario is kind of apocalyptic that in 2020 - after no doubt two seasons they probably don't get to 70 wins so they will have good draft capital - they are still not going to have any good longterm talent. To have absolutely nothing in 2+ seasons with what they just acquired, what they will acquire shipping out the rest of the team (especially with Yelich/Realmuto if that happens), the picks they will have, and the rumored INT spending like that guy Martinez mentioned above, is probably beyond a worst case practical scenario. That's just not a probable reality. Everyone eventually hits on players in the crapshoot which is 16-22 year old player evaluations.

But, assuming hey it just doesn't work out on whatever level that means and it looks like they really bombed this transition with there being no legitimate core in place in 2 years, there is flat out not much you can tell the fans besides "we suck" and ceremonially fire the entire front office to cast blame.

This is why it all comes down to winning. They just need to win consistently for a few years with a stable core of players, and that'll start changing attitudes. Unfortunately for them, year 1 is not going to have much momentum thanks to Loria underspending for year, and the team having been built longterm around Fernandez. I think it was always going to be unreasonable for them to come in and right the ship right away when Straily, Urena, Conley, D. Peters, and Nicolino is your in house starting rotation.

Comment

lol @ attendance being increased by 25% simply by loria being gone. We had around 20,000 a game last year. Youre saying we'd get 25,000 immediately with the same exact bad team and that is flat out laughable.

If it doesnt work, so be it. The process to me is much more important than the result. rebuild the right way, that everyone knows is the right way in modern day baseball, and let the chips fall where they may. The flip side is having that same mediocre team we've had for literally 15 or however many straight years.

Also, to think we would go through this whole rebuild and only have "maybe 1 top 100 prospect" is kind of ridiculous considering we already have 2-3 in year 1. And it's not just the Royals & Cubs. It has now worked (worked in this case meaning building a great farm system through a rebuild) for the Royals, Cubs, Braves, White Sox, Phillies are in the process, Astros, Padres, and nationals to an extent (although they've had a lot more free agent signings than the rest of them. With that said, no one is guaranteeing this process will work and that a top farm system will result in a consistent contender. Simply put, the process is the more important thing, especially in a small market where payroll structure is so important to being able to field said consistent contender.

I am also not michael hill's biggest fan, but making him out to be some homeless vagabond that everyone loves to shit on is kind of unfair as well. Again, give him time just like we should give the new ownership time to prove that it is different than under loria. There is so much noise out there about how truly meddlesome Loria has been, especially in recent years. If we had anything close to a contender i'd be fine with your opinion and just agree to disagree, i just am so sick of this constant whining about breaking up a truly bad team with no shot at contending.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            There is not "so much wrong" in what I said. Like it or not, that's how the ownership group is already perceived by South Florida.

How am I ignoring what Jeter is saying or doing? I've not heard him mention the draft or IFA, and I've seen him not be involved when trading the franchise player (not being at the meetings), and say he sees no need to talk to the players that are left on the team, all while they're all wanting trades out because they don't see a direction for the franchise, just like the rest of South Florida right now.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree - this town is a bunch of bandwagon fans, and only supports a winner, and won't support a loser - a lot of which has to do with how many people move here from other places - they're fans of other teams, and people that do live here have been hurt time after time by firesales, so there's been no incentive thus far to support the team on a consistent basis.

And I'll agree, they deserve a chance to show that they're different than Loria (I agree that the draft will be telling), my point in that post was just to point out the issues I've seen/had thus far. And I realize that Loria's tenure probably has me jaded in the negative, but when all you have to do to be liked is be "not Loria", tripping over yourselves time after time right out of the gates doesn't look good. Trust me, I'm hopeful that it'll all work out.
            Ill be honest, im cool with just disagreeing. My major beef was things like saying Jeter hasnt mentioned IFA and the draft (he has and has also implied its importance) and saying things like we got peanuts in return for Stanton (we got a top 100 prospect who could skyrocket up those rankings by next year, a SS our new GM who signed him loves, and 300 million in future salary relief for a small market team), but im honestly exhausted and am cool with just agreeing to disagree rather than get into these same convos again.

And btw, I agree the PR has been flat out terrible. That is part of the reason why i think all these moves that are the right moves for the future of the team are being so poorly received. I just think the overall importance of this rebuild trumps any PR messes this front office has created for itself. I also think in time the ownership group will learn the fan base and the intricacies of owning a team and how you should interact with a fan base.

Comment

• My problem isn't even with Michael Hill himself. It's the fact that I just can't imagine a scenario where Jeter, Sherman, Denbo and company come in here take a look at what's here and tell everyone that they have a different plan, we recognize the faults of the previous administration, were taking this in a different direction, and the guy that's going to execute this plan as General Manager is the same guy that was General Manager before. That leads me to believe they don't have a plan. I just don't understand how you invest over a billion dollars and you don't have your own guy at General Manager.

And fish16 will say that Denbo is the guy. Then why isn't he the GM? What is he being protected from?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                My problem isn't even with Michael Hill himself. It's the fact that I just can't imagine a scenario where Jeter, Sherman, Denbo and company come in here take a look at what's here and tell everyone that they have a different plan, we recognize the faults of the previous administration, were taking this in a different direction, and the guy that's going to execute this plan as General Manager is the same guy that was General Manager before. That leads me to believe they don't have a plan. I just don't understand how you invest over a billion dollars and you don't have your own guy at General Manager.

And fish16 will say that Denbo is the guy. Then why isn't he the GM? What is he being protected from?
                Denbo's specialty is player development so I think that's why. They want to let him work with guys on the farm. but i definitely understand the Michael hill hate, because his record these last few years has been awful, and i certainly think the new ownership should have gone a different direction (mostly for PR reasons), but I really dont think people understand the level to which this previous ownership meddled in baseball decisions. I'm willing to give him 1 more year to evaluate what we've done thus far because I think the moves we've made will be really nice in retrospect, and because I think very few even good GM's could have performed well with the dysfunction and meddlesomeness of the previous ownership group.

I also like that we are essentially letting the baseball guys only make the baseball moves (a novel concept, i know). sherman is just here because he invested the money, but he is not gonna be involved with the baseball moves, and Jeter is the de facto guy in charge of baseball moves, but I also like his willingness to admit he's not the guy doing the minutiae of trade talks and baseball decisions.

- - - - - - - - - -

On a sidenote, if we're gonna trade Yelich to an NL east rival, the more i think about it the more i think the phillies line up better than the braves. I think we have a huge lack of hitting prospects (specifically infielders) and they have a bunch of them, on top of some really good pitching. I'd love to get out hands on JP Crawford. I think he is the next Lindor type guy. Superstar.

Comment

My problem isn't even with Michael Hill himself. It's the fact that I just can't imagine a scenario where Jeter, Sherman, Denbo and company come in here take a look at what's here and tell everyone that they have a different plan, we recognize the faults of the previous administration, were taking this in a different direction, and the guy that's going to execute this plan as General Manager is the same guy that was General Manager before. That leads me to believe they don't have a plan. I just don't understand how you invest over a billion dollars and you don't have your own guy at General Manager.

Is it beyond plausibility that they interviewed Hill, he said the right things, acknowledged the failures, pointed out X% of them was due to Loria or whoever, I can show I wanted X versus Y in old correspondence and was overruled, etc. so that there is at least the picture of real accountability and the problem with the organization is not solely due to Hill. Also, I can paint a real good picture that the Marlins would have an amazing MLB team if Fernandez didn't die and Chen didn't get hurt, and but for those two things, didn't Hill do a pretty good job (yes I know the guys were drafted prior to his ascension to the top of the mountain but he was still around then, players were developed, and they acquired other players).

Then, assuming you buy that or not, does Hill have continuity value to the organization? They can't overnight replace every minor league manager, weight trainer, scout, various operational people. This is probably dozens of people, if not over a hundred. Doesn't Hill bring some value here as part of a regime change being able to steer the ship during the changes happening above his head and speaking intelligently to Jeter as to various aspects of the baseball operation, people, and even business issues?

Then, let's also think Samson was one of the highest paid executives in baseball which is insane, does Hill himself have a high priced guaranteed contract where firing him costs a few million bucks, versus him being completely competent to run the day to day operations as the GM along with Denbo and a quickly revamping scouting department. Is someone else going to be that much better here and bring that much more value? It's hard to say.

I'm not saying I agree with keeping Hill. I can appreciate a scorched earth approach and lobbing stones at the prior regime whether it is fair or not as that is good PR for sure. I would be fine with him gone for sure.

I'm just saying for the sake of debate, Hill was dealt a really shitty hand and some of you are coming in so hot that this is the worst thing that has ever happened. No one knows what happened with Loria behind closed doors, but it sure seems to me reading between the lines he meddled quite a bit.

Maybe I'm the asshole and I am too sympathetic to him, but my finger is solely pointed to the person at the top. He's gone. I'm happy.

If they blow these trades and the 2018 draft pick is another 17 year old kid immediately getting a tommy john when there is an advanced college pitcher available that has 95% of the ceiling and twice the floor, I'll be first in line to get Hill fired - assuming he is the one actually responsible for those moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Is it beyond plausibility that they interviewed Hill, he said the right things, acknowledged the failures, pointed out X% of them was due to Loria or whoever, I can show I wanted X versus Y in old correspondence and was overruled, etc. so that there is at least the picture of real accountability and the problem with the organization is not solely due to Hill. Also, I can paint a real good picture that the Marlins would have an amazing MLB team if Fernandez didn't die and Chen didn't get hurt, and but for those two things, didn't Hill do a pretty good job (yes I know the guys were drafted prior to his ascension to the top of the mountain but he was still around then, players were developed, and they acquired other players).

Then, assuming you buy that or not, does Hill have continuity value to the organization? They can't overnight replace every minor league manager, weight trainer, scout, various operational people. This is probably dozens of people, if not over a hundred. Doesn't Hill bring some value here as part of a regime change being able to steer the ship during the changes happening above his head and speaking intelligently to Jeter as to various aspects of the baseball operation, people, and even business issues?

Then, let's also think Samson was one of the highest paid executives in baseball which is insane, does Hill himself have a high priced guaranteed contract where firing him costs a few million bucks, versus him being completely competent to run the day to day operations as the GM along with Denbo and a quickly revamping scouting department. Is someone else going to be that much better here and bring that much more value? It's hard to say.

I'm not saying I agree with keeping Hill. I can appreciate a scorched earth approach and lobbing stones at the prior regime whether it is fair or not as that is good PR for sure. I would be fine with him gone for sure.

I'm just saying for the sake of debate, Hill was dealt a really shitty hand and some of you are coming in so hot that this is the worst thing that has ever happened. No one knows what happened with Loria behind closed doors, but it sure seems to me reading between the lines he meddled quite a bit.

Maybe I'm the asshole and I am too sympathetic to him, but my finger is solely pointed to the person at the top. He's gone. I'm happy.

If they blow these trades and the 2018 draft pick is another 17 year old kid immediately getting a tommy john when there is an advanced college pitcher available that has 95% of the ceiling and twice the floor, I'll be first in line to get Hill fired.
                    Agreed with all of this especially the last line. I just think he deserves 1 more year at most to prove himself again separately from the previous ownership.

Also, I know Hill ended up making the moves, but what about the possibility that, since it was abundantly clear in retrospect that Loria was going to sell the team at the exact time he did, that Loria essentially forced tons of idiotic win now moves and that Loria didnt give a shit about leaving behind a complete 0 of a farm system in the attempt to win something of significance in his final years. Because Hill's track record was not nearly as bad before these last few years.

Comment

I don't think attendance would have shifted to any notable effect. Sure, everyone hates Loria, but it's still Miami and you got to win. Look at the Hurricanes Notre Dame/Virginia Tech games this year as the latest example. Just win baby. I don't see how they could have added 10+ wins to this team in 2018 to get them to where they needed to be. It's literally convincing Arrieta and Darvish to sign, and hoping for peak years from each. It's just the sad reality that this team was built to win with Fernandez (who would have fit with basically Volquez salary figure) and Chen, and we don't need to go there.

I do think though they need to do much better PR of what they are doing. Be more honest with the fan base, do some things to show you have a longterm plan even with the tear down (say "we are not trading Yelich this year no matter the offer," sign Realmuto for 5 years which is so fucking obvious, why didn't we see a press release yesterday where they are congratulating Alcantara and Guzman as top prospects in BA (although in their defense they did post about Anderson being selected as a top 10 3B prospect in baseball in some MLB article), etc.).

They still do have an opportunity to not look like Loria, but it's hard to not agree that this ownerships first moves just look like a continuation of what's been happening for years even if the correct baseball moves is to clear salary, get prospects, and aim for a few years down the road when you have more pitching.

We'll see. I still think they need to be completely unforgiving, make baseball decisions, and trade off minimum Straily, Bour, Castro, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Barraclough, and Dietrich by July 31st, preferably sooner for the first 6 of them, so they can allocate some of that money to signing dudes like Danny Valencia/Chris Tillman to rehab and flip at the deadline, and to sign Realmuto longterm right now. Start building a longterm sustainable team and a winner. To me, that's how you create/restore consumer confidence. Marlins have never been consistent like the Heat, or Marino Dolphins. It's time for them to figure that out.
                      Again people overlook the economics in South Fla....one of the biggest have/havenot gaps in any major metropolitan area. Marlins ticket prices need to be more in line with the local economy. Having an average ticket price that is $12 over the average price of a Dodgers ticket is financial suicide. Not even a winning Marlins team would draw a mostly full stadium night after night, based on this stupidity.

I don't recall hearing anything so far on ticket prices, structure of packages, etc....and if they think that more than a few diehards are going to come to see a 100+ loser team at those prices, I want some of what they are smoking.

If they spent $1.2 billion without having economic studies about this done, then they are more stupid than I already think they are.

Comment

Again people overlook the economics in South Fla....one of the biggest have/havenot gaps in any major metropolitan area. Marlins ticket prices need to be more in line with the local economy. Having an average ticket price that is $12 over the average price of a Dodgers ticket is financial suicide. Not even a winning Marlins team would draw a mostly full stadium night after night, based on this stupidity.

I don't recall hearing anything so far on ticket prices, structure of packages, etc....and if they think that more than a few diehards are going to come to see a 100+ loser team at those prices, I want some of what they are smoking.

If they spent $1.2 billion without having economic studies about this done, then they are more stupid than I already think they are.
                        I wasnt aware we had $12 more expensive tickets over the average price of a Dodgers ticket, but just to play devils advocate, there are a ton of cheap ass tickets available for marlins game both at the box office and on those secondary markets. Any time i go I go straight to the box office with no line, ask for the cheapest tickets which if i recall correctly were only $12 or something stupid, and I sat literally wherever i want.

Comment

Can't disagree with anything here. I'm just saying, I don't see a bump in attendance solely because of Loria.

Nothing matters besides consistent winning right now for the Marlins. The path of least resistance is trading the team and regrouping for next year once you see what you got.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          Agreed with all of this especially the last line. I just think he deserves 1 more year at most to prove himself again separately from the previous ownership.

Also, I know Hill ended up making the moves, but what about the possibility that, since it was abundantly clear in retrospect that Loria was going to sell the team at the exact time he did, that Loria essentially forced tons of idiotic win now moves and that Loria didnt give a shit about leaving behind a complete 0 of a farm system in the attempt to win something of significance in his final years. Because Hill's track record was not nearly as bad before these last few years.
                          The Straily trade in particular can be argued this pretty heavily.

But who knows. They went over-slot to sign Garret the year before, so there is really no method to the madness.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            I wasnt aware we had $12 more expensive tickets over the average price of a Dodgers ticket, but just to play devils advocate, there are a ton of cheap ass tickets available for marlins game both at the box office and on those secondary markets. Any time i go I go straight to the box office with no line, ask for the cheapest tickets which if i recall correctly were only $12 or something stupid, and I sat literally wherever i want.
                            https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-mlb-by-team/

Comment

I agree with this.

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post

I know I haven't bought a ticket through the team in a few years. I just go straight to Stub Hub, where I can get a great seat for the price of an outfield ticket through the team's site.

---

They did recently send me an email about season tickets - "your tickets, your way":

"Build your custom season ticket plan with the perfect mix of games, seats, and price points to fit your needs. Whether you're interested in the full season or just a handful of games, we have a season ticket option that's just right for you. Learn more about how to customize your plan today."

Comment

Can't disagree with anything here. I'm just saying, I don't see a bump in attendance solely because of Loria.

Nothing matters besides consistent winning right now for the Marlins. The path of least resistance is trading the team and regrouping for next year once you see what you got.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Straily trade in particular can be argued this pretty heavily.

But who knows. They went over-slot to sign Garret the year before, so there is really no method to the madness.
                                Not just the straily trade, but the Cashner deal, the obvious at the time stupid Rodney deal, Latos deal, Chen contract, Tazawa and Ziegler deals, etc. Just so many deals where it is clear they gave up the farm/future in win now moves for a team that realistically didnt have a chance

- - - - - - - - - -

cant access that site but i wasnt disagreeing with you at all, i was just saying you could get into that place super easily for super cheap and sit wherever. Ive been doing that for marlins games since hard rock stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X