Ichiro's March to 3,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ichiro's March to 3,000

He's playing like someone who's on a mission.

When are the Marlins going to put up a hit counter at Marlins Park?

Does the where will Ichiro be traded thread get started the day after he reaches 3000?

Comment

Need a translation for that one, Jay.

I'm part of the 25% of the board that didn't want Ichiro launched from the team in the off season.

.805 OPS

High-ish BABIP but Ichiro has been a bright spot this season.

Comment

Ichiro could easily put up 23 hits before the deadline. Can't complain about his performance up to this point. So his stats after hitting 3000 will look pretty good for the year. He'd be a good addition for a team looking to add depth at the deadline. So I'm thinking he would have more value being traded at that point since he is no longer a marketing gimmick. Think baseball sense is obvious. It could also save money but that shouldn't drive the move. I guess at this point we could still be buyers but it's not like we have anything to move. Trading Ichiro could be a move that actually improves the playoff probability and long term team. Of course this assume Stanton gets his head out of his ass.

Comment

you don't sell when you're in contention.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
            you don't sell when you're in contention.
            Not about being in contention now; it's about to be able to win. I also don't consider it selling when the team improves in present form. Ichiro is doing well but his value to the team as a forth outfielder is going to be less than his return if he nets a solid relief pitcher. Again that assumes Stanton manages to get out of the slump. Stanton's certainly not this bad.

Comment

They're not trading Ichiro

Comment

The team isn't built to win in present form. There isn't anything in the minors to promote or trade so how do you suggest improving the team? I'd say Ichiro or Dee are the most expendable pieces that will have some value. But Dee's value will be at a low spot. You can't trade Dietrich because you're left with Rojas at 2nd and no backup infielder in the playoffs. I don't see the logic in keeping Ichiro after he hits 3000. I like the guy and want him on the team but this is a business.

Comment

I'd say it's more likely than not Ichiro's here next year (assuming he wants to play another year) than he's traded by the deadline.

And I'm fine with that. I think with a youngish team having Ichiro and Bonds in the dugout is an invaluable resource. I've also heard that Ichiro's an amazing clubhouse guy. Hard to deal that.

Comment

What do you really expect to get for Ichiro? I think he has more value to us, than he would for any other team.

Comment

I think Ichiro retires with us, or he goes back to Seattle for one last year. He'll be here as long as he wants.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah, I don't see Ichiro getting anything more than a couple 25 year old AA relievers that aren't going to be anything. Just like last time he was traded. That doesn't improve us.

Comment

I guess this all depends on the market. I'm thinking Ichiro could net a reliever which I think will be more important in terms of getting into the playoffs and actually doing something there. We're probably not making the playoffs regardless.

Comment

They won't trade Dee either. He'll be the starting 2b for the rest of his contract. Dietrich will be the 3b, they won't (and shouldn't, now) re-sign Prado.

I think it's a very realistic possibility that Realmuto, Bour, Gordon, Dietrich, Hechavarria, Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton is our starting offense for 2-3 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              They won't trade Dee either. He'll be the starting 2b for the rest of his contract. Dietrich will be the 3b, they won't (and shouldn't, now) re-sign Prado.
                              I agree that Dee won't be traded. But by not making a move it's essentially throwing in the towel. I'd guess Dee's return will help the playoff push but he can't help if they get there so you can't trade Prado, Dietrich, Hech, or Rojas in a package without finding a replacement. The pitching staff is what should be addressed. The minors has what Brice, Telis, and Naylor as possible main piece in a deal. That isn't that impressive besides Naylor. The point is they won't win without improving the pitching staff somehow.

Comment

Working...
                              X