Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even if he missed all of next year it was worth spending $4 million just to keep him from signing elsewhere. This is either alvarezs arm is close to done, the marlins went cheap, or a little of both.

Comment

• 37 spots on the 40 man filled now

Domingo German was non tendered too. Doubtful but maybe we will try to get him back

Hearing it is alittle of both-they didn't expect him back until late June and now they have 4 million to spend elsewhere(like that is going to happen)HAHAHA. Just weird when u see crappy arms getting 10-12 a year

Comment

• If Alvarez pitches more than 200 innings total the rest of his career, I'll be absolutely stunned.

I mean, I probably woulda brought him back, but I think he's pretty done.

Comment

• The plan has to be to re-sign him for cheap though, right. The risk is obviously there at $4 million and I'm not sure someone else will give him that, but the Marlins would be foolish to not keep him around because of his upside. Alvarez when right was really good and I feel like I've seen this a million times before, where a pitcher comes back from early injury issues to have a good career.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
            The plan has to be to re-sign him for cheap though, right. The risk is obviously there at $4 million and I'm not sure someone else will give him that, but the Marlins would be foolish to not keep him around because of his upside. Alvarez when right was really good and I feel like I've seen this a million times before, where a pitcher comes back from early injury issues to have a good career.
            Yeah but Alvarez's early injury issues are a little more extreme than usual. It's not just his shoulder or just his elbow that's messed up; it's both. That being said, I hope we bring him back on a cheaper deal and see if anything comes out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
              If Alvarez pitches more than 200 innings total the rest of his career, I'll be absolutely stunned.

I mean, I probably woulda brought him back, but I think he's pretty done.
              This is how I feel. Like, it upsets me, but I don't think it's a bad move.

Keeping him is basically banking 8m (4m this year, 4m next year) on him pitching in 2016, and then he's a FA. No he's not "out" for 2015 but let's not kid ourselves with all that's wrong with him. So it's 8m for a #3 in 2016 in a best case scenario, maybe 50-100 innings out of him in a likely scenario, and 8m down the drain in a worst case scenerio. Good deal for most teams. Not good if you're in the lower third or fourth in payroll (this definitely isn't just a "marlins" thing).

Comment

• I'm interested to see what type of contract Alvarez signs. It's certainly not a bad move to non-tender him, but they should be trying to sign him for less.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                  This is how I feel. Like, it upsets me, but I don't think it's a bad move.

Keeping him is basically banking 8m (4m this year, 4m next year) on him pitching in 2016, and then he's a FA. No he's not "out" for 2015 but let's not kid ourselves with all that's wrong with him. So it's 8m for a #3 in 2016 in a best case scenario, maybe 50-100 innings out of him in a likely scenario, and 8m down the drain in a worst case scenerio. Good deal for most teams. Not good if you're in the lower third or fourth in payroll (this definitely isn't just a "marlins" thing).
                  Given the Marlins payroll being $66 million with him (and Koehler/Phelps and Dunn), I think it is crazy to get rid of him. They can afford him and others. If he comes back and offers a good 7-10 starts down the stretch and looks healthy for 2017, fantastic. When are they going to operate like a real team?

That being said, obviously not a doctor, if his arm is really fucked up or there is a deal on the table where they are going to retain him for a cheaper amount with incentives, all good. I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Given the Marlins payroll being $66 million with him (and Koehler/Phelps and Dunn), I think it is crazy to get rid of him. They can afford him and others. If he comes back and offers a good 7-10 starts down the stretch and looks healthy for 2017, fantastic. When are they going to operate like a real team?

That being said, obviously not a doctor, if his arm is really fucked up or there is a deal on the table where they are going to retain him for a cheaper amount with incentives, all good. I guess we'll see.
                    It's almost certainly the bolded. I really don't think this is one of the Marlins' typical, penny-pinching moves. There is no way they would just non-tender him if they didn't think/know there was significant damage in that arm. We're talking about a legitimate No. 2 starter when healthy here.

Comment

• I hate to break it to you, guys.....the Tigers just signed Mike Pelfrey 2/$16. I know you all will be disappointed we didn't get him

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        I hate to break it to you, guys.....the Tigers just signed Mike Pelfrey 2/$16. I know you all will be disappointed we didn't get him
                        So $8 mil a year would tie Pelfrey for the 2nd highest paid Marlin (Stanton 9, Marlins paying Prado and Salty $8 next year).

The rotation is going to be abysmal

Comment

• The Marlins are gonna have to go get fucking Bruce Chen after all.

Comment

• http://m.mlb.com/news/article/158826600

Mattingly's coaching staff has been finalized:

MIAMI -- The Miami Marlins announced that they have finalized Don Mattingly's 2016 coaching staff, naming five new coaches and returning four coaches from 2015. Tim Wallach has been named bench coach, Juan Nieves has been named pitching coach and Barry Bonds has been named hitting coach, joining Frank Menechino, who returns as the team's assistant hitting coach.

Also returning from the 2015 staff is first-base/infield coach Perry Hill, third-base coach Lenny Harris and bullpen coach Reid Cornelius. In addition, the Marlins have named Brian Schneider as the team's catching coach and Lorenzo Bundy as the team's outfield/baserunning coach.
                            Bonds is the hitting coach, while Menechino is the assistant hitting coach.

Comment

• Wow. A Brian Schneider sighting.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                                Wow. A Brian Schneider sighting.
                                ?? He has been sighted in Jupiter since 2014

He is actually a pretty solid coach

Comment

Working...
                                X