Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cameron Maybin Thread: Maybin Some Discussion, Maybin Some Fighting, It's All Good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    I don't see how he has shown nothing, but that's an entirely subjective argument. Maybe I'm reading what he's saying wrong but when he says Maybin's entire minor league career is either "luck" or "being a AAAA player", that sounds like writing off.
    2009: .220 .306 .354 .660 (40 Games)
    Career: .245 .319 .365 .684

That is how he has shown nothing with his bat. He has good line drive rates and strike out rates.......ok........there is something to watch, but when it has come down to converting all those favorable ratings into the three most important and easily recognizable stats Cameron Maybin has shown nothing in limited playing time at the Major League level. When OBP, SLG and OPS became subjective, I don't know.

Comment

What has he shown in the majors?

18 extra base hits? 3 homers? 74 k's to 21 walks? A career .684 OPS? A 2009 OBP of .306?

Or are we already breaking his career down to games at a time to show success?

You can say he hasn't had a chance yet (I'd disagree, I think 235 career ML PA's goes well beyond "heya kid, take a look at this big league life") but to say he's shown something in his time up here is just silly.

Comment

Now I also think we need to put him in a better position to succeed ala batting him earlier in the order with some protection in there. But that may be an entirely different argument altogether.
        --------------------
        ps... there should be a rating system on threads, this would get 5 starz
        ---

wow im a tard... there is a rating system
        Last edited by Ramp; 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          Now I also think we need to put him in a better position to succeed ala batting him earlier in the order with some protection in there. But that may be an entirely different argument altogether.
          Maybe you stop hitting him 8th in helping him develop, but no player is above the team's success. He's not going to help us leading off.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
            but no player is above the team's success.
            Boner!!!

Comment

That's why we should be batting him leadoff now. Season is over. Bat him somewhere in front of some actual hitters. Games mean nothing now. Wins just hurt or draft status (jokez... not like we'll draft anyone cool anyway, amirite?).

Comment

The more games we win the lower amount of money we need to pay our 1st round pick next year!

Comment

Who says we even have to sign our first round pick?

Comment

I'd love to go back to last september and see if people were saying he had shown nothing. I seem to remember quite a bit of fawning.

And 235 ML PAs is literally nothing when spread over 3 seasons. The only time he's ever had a sustained opportunity, yeah, he blew it. I think he's looked pretty good since he came back up, and the .250/.350/.440 line he's putting up is not all that unimaginable from him for a full season.

You guys are talking about him like's been an absolute fucking zero. He was great last September, terrible in April and generally OK this September. He's striking out in 27% of his PAs, still a little too high, but he's also walking more and hitting the ball harder than he did earlier in the season. He's at a point where in September, 1 or 2 bad games (or good games) can really make him look significantly better or worse, but if we're going with "I SEE" then I see him making adjustments, working counts, and hitting the ball harder since he came back up.

And yet not a game thread goes by without Swift saying "Man, Maybin = Boner!"
                    poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      Who says we even have to sign our first round pick?
                      touche.

Comment

• So bobbob is the only one allowed to bring skeletons out of the closest....I see. BUT DON'T DO IT TO HIM OR HE'LL RUN!!!

And yeah, he did show something last September but have we forgotten:

SSS

Shit, Maybin may make a flashy catch or hits a ball on the line once a game, but he has been a failure at doing it over extended periods. Isn't that the whole point about this debate?

Comment

• That awesome September of his came with 2 XBH's, both doubles. When you're as fast as he, you almost need to make an effort to just be a singles hitter. The exclusive ground ball problem was there then, and it's still here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            That's why we should be batting him leadoff now. Season is over. Bat him somewhere in front of some actual hitters. Games mean nothing now. Wins just hurt or draft status (jokez... not like we'll draft anyone cool anyway, amirite?).
                            The season isnt over yet goddamnit.

Comment

• I mean, can put together an 8 game streak where he is flat out awesome, but the consensus still is he has not shown anything at the ML level because he doesn't do it on a consistent basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                                The season isnt over yet goddamnit.
                                Go back in your cave

Comment

Working...
                                X