No announcement yet.

Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got Koufax, Manny Ramirez, and Magic Johnson.

Comment

• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thrown in there too.

Unfortunately it's that running back that played for the Dolphins.

Comment

• clarkspencer@clarkspencer 2m2 minutes ago
        Brigham one of 3 players expected to go to marlins in dodgers trade
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Looks like Jeff Brigham is one of the 3

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2015/ALL

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Looks like Jeff Brigham is one of the 3

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2015/ALL

According to this site, 30th best prospect midseason and trending down (Barnes is their #8 prospect FWIW)

30. Jeff Brigham, RHP (25, -5)
            Started: Low-A Great Lakes
            Current location: High-A Rancho Cucamonga
            – Brigham falls a bit despite having one of the best and heaviest fastballs in the system. He isn’t big at just 6’0, 200 pounds, but he gets his fastball into the mid-90s with a lot of sink and run. He has a 1.92 GO/AO this season and more strikeouts (74) than innings pitched (72). His off-speed stuff needs some work, as does his changeup. He might be a reliever long-term, but he’ll stay in the rotation likely all the way until Triple-A.

http://dodgersdigest.com/2015/07/20/...-30-prospects/

Comment

• @JimBowden_ESPN: According to sources there is a third team involved in the Dodgers/Marlins trade which is bigger than being reported

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                @JimBowden_ESPN: According to sources there is a third team involved in the Dodgers/Marlins trade which is bigger than being reported
                Well now we know why took so long

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                According to this site, 30th best prospect midseason and trending down (Barnes is their #8 prospect FWIW)

30. Jeff Brigham, RHP (25, -5)
                Started: Low-A Great Lakes
                Current location: High-A Rancho Cucamonga
                – Brigham falls a bit despite having one of the best and heaviest fastballs in the system. He isn’t big at just 6’0, 200 pounds, but he gets his fastball into the mid-90s with a lot of sink and run. He has a 1.92 GO/AO this season and more strikeouts (74) than innings pitched (72). His off-speed stuff needs some work, as does his changeup. He might be a reliever long-term, but he’ll stay in the rotation likely all the way until Triple-A.

http://dodgersdigest.com/2015/07/20/...-30-prospects/
                Not bad if he is the "project" arm they always seem to get in deals. Should look better to pitching in Jupiter instead of the CAL

Comment

• I still think Brigham is a good get. I just don't like him as the main piece.

Comment

• I think we honestly overrated Latos's trade value to begin with. I'm not saying what he should be worth. He has posted good peripherals with a good track history and has been great since coming off the DL, yes. But he also has 4.48 ERA and was a huge injury concern coming into the year and has dealt with injury issues, hitting the DL, and a loss of velocity. It's not surprising if the market doesn't value him that highly, especially when the team trading him is a team that does not put value into things like sabermetrics. Why offer much when you know you don't have to.

And getting out of Morse contract is nice. I think it's possible he could have turned it around, as he's actually hitting for power since coming off the DL - .734 OPS since then, but a .801 OPS as a starter. But probably more likely he's dead weight.

I'm whatever because I don't really know if we get anything good anyway for Latos, so at least we get out of Morse's contract. Sign a couple SP this winter and cool. That's the big thing to me.

Comment

• Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs sums up why the trade is discouraging very well.

Tricky maneuver, at this time of year, but it’s a benefit of being the Dodgers, and of trading with the Marlins. The Dodgers can afford anybody. The Marlins are more interested in saving money than they are in adding talent. In the Marlins’ defense, saved money can turn into added talent, but this is taking the indirect route. Instead of getting a better prospect for Latos, the Marlins are clearing Morse. It’s not unethical or stupid or anything, it’s just very Marlins, as it fits the organizational pattern. Some of the Marlins’ money will be re-invested. The rest of it — well, you know.
                      poop

Comment

• Yeah.

In a vacuum, it's fine. Like he said, money is talent anyway. It's just getting fucked over so many times from "saved money" not actually getting spent.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, the whole "let's grab three nothing prospects that will be out of our system in a year instead of 1 okay prospect" is really annoying, like they did with Nolasco.

Comment

• Please sell the team.

Comment

• BTW, we're also actually -2 prospects.

Comp pick for offering Latos arbitration and comp pick we traded.

Comment

• righties are hitting .183/.286/.262 off Brigham this season; lefties .383/.461/.579

I find it interesting that the knock on him coming out of college (2014, 4th round - coming off TJ surgery) was that he didn't strike enough people out and now he's striking out a guy an inning while still putting up the big ground ball numbers

he sure seems like a guy who could figure things out in a big way

Comment

Working...
                              X