Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valid View Post
    How?
    Killed organization depth, and the rumored decision to include Heaney instead of Nicolino looks like a complete and utter disaster.
    poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      Killed organization depth, and the rumored decision to include Heaney instead of Nicolino looks like a complete and utter disaster.
      Heaney was the only player traded in that deal who was really worth a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        Morris was great value for the comp pick. I've been banging that drum for a long time now.
        That one was fine.

But it's pretty clear that the organization has no interest in using these completely free draft picks, which is indicative of a much larger problem.
        poop

Comment

man I hate when bobbob and I agree
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

That one was fine.

But it's pretty clear that the organization has no interest in using these completely free draft picks, which is indicative of a much larger problem.
            Much like the IFA pool. They do NOT because it costs cash which Jeff has no interest in spending

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Much like the IFA pool. They do NOT because it costs cash which Jeff has no interest in spending
              Which is what we're criticizing. You're not illuminating anything at all. You point out obvious things.
              poop

Comment

Kike has been valuable, Barnes is killing it in AAA, and Hatcher had good numbers before he got hurt. This is far from true.

Comment

That one was fine.

yeah, I agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    Yeah, it's way more difficult to find bench players than it is to find all-star second basemen.
                    Not at all what I said, but thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      Kike has been valuable, Barnes is killing it in AAA, and Hatcher had good numbers before he got hurt. This is far from true.
                      Kike is a utility player, Barnes was ranked as the Marlins' 20th best prospect and Hatcher was nothing more than a solid reliever, which are a dime a dozen. In return, we got one of the better second basemen in baseball. This is silly.

Are you saying we should never try to trade for a significant upgrade just because it might cost some B and C-level players that would compromise our "depth?" I can understand being upset that Heaney was included, but come on; the other guys were just fodder.

Comment

Not that I dislike Bryan Morris and I did see some potential in him at the time of the deal (check the thread for that trade if you don't believe me), but trading comp. picks for league average relievers isn't a good thought process just because the Pirates turned the pick into nothing. The comp. pick has upside to be better if drafted and developed properly. Bryan Morris will always be Bryan Morris. Guys like Bryan Morris can be found anywhere for cheap. So, despite the fact that the trade didn't become a disaster, it's not something that should be done continually, especially considering how cheap this team is and how much the farm system sucks.

Comment

Kike is a utility player, Barnes was ranked as the Marlins' 20th best prospect and Hatcher was nothing more than a solid reliever, which are a dime a dozen. In return, we got one of the better second basemen in baseball. This is silly.
                          And now you take out Heaney from the deal to make it look more convenient for your argument.

Comment

Barnes is a catcher with an .869 OPS at AAA. He'd definitely be an upgrade as a backup catcher, and could project as a starter down the road.

Enrique Hernandez is a 23-year-old with a .746 OPS in the majors, who is on pace for 2.7 fWAR per 162 games this season -- 2.0 fWAR in 90 career games in the majors. He's a starting-caliber major-league player and the Marlins organization is very low on those.

Hatcher is whatever, totally expendable.

And Heaney would be the team's second-best starter right now.

Dee is awesome, but he's more of a low-700's OPS guy and his baserunning has been kinda abysmal this season for whatever reason. If he's more of a 3 WAR player than what he looked like for the first two months, then that trade looks kinda like a disaster.

Especially since they clearly threw in more young talent to get the Dodgers to cover Haren's contract. Which is, ultimately, the problem. They keep throwing away young talent because they can't operate like a real major-league team financially. That isn't acceptable or sustainable. You can throw away young talent if you have money. You can't do what the Marlins do.
                            poop

Comment

I mean, they are using the draft picks to acquire assets. They don't need to draft someone.

I think it is fine trading them as part of deals to acquire other guys.

My only point here is, we got to wait to see who they got from LAD and what they do with the money. I understand the skepticism they will spend, but just got to let it to play out. We're all going to agree if they don't spend or address holes and Loria pockets this, this, and Cishek, are awful trades.

Comment

Austin Barnes is now the #10 C prospect in baseball, for the record.

Comment

Working...
                                X