Steve Cishek Optioned to AA Jacksonville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    The last roster move that had me this irked was DFAing Salty. I'm not annoyed at Cishek being sent down. A pitcher being called up certainly contributes but isn't the real problem. Flores is a SP prospect (23 with 9 starts in AA or above). His spot in the rotation was yesterday in AA. So if he wasn't starting in the majors (which I honestly think he needs more time) yesterday, why was he called up? The next four starts are listed as Haren-Koehler-Phelps-Urena. The only thing that makes sense is if Koehler goes to the bullpen. But then again you can call up a bat, still have him skip his start in AA and activate him Friday by sending down Rienzo. Him being called up to work out of the bullpen is just absurd; there are at least 6 relievers in the minors that are better options. The 40-man has 2 relievers on it. Seriously, what is the FO thinking here? Was Jennings the only guy who had any clue on how to call up and send down players?
    I highly doubt Jennings didn't have input on this decision.

Comment

Flores up and said to be long relief guy. The Cishek to AA is more about NOLA playing out in Tacoma. No point in send him out there and all just to work on mechanics so they sent him to Jax to get work in

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Flores up and said to be long relief guy. The Cishek to AA is more about NOLA playing out in Tacoma. No point in send him out there and all just to work on mechanics so they sent him to Jax to get work in
        What's Rienzo then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          What's Rienzo then?
          Got ME-from MLB.com

"Right now, he'll start as the long guy out of the 'pen," Jennings said. "Hopefully we won't need him tonight in that capacity. But with us going to Colorado [from Friday to Sunday] and then [Toronto from June 8-June 10] where we'll have a [designated hitter], we felt that it was better for us to have that extra pitching."

Flores was scheduled to start for Jacksonville on Monday, but he was pulled from his outing in anticipation of his promotion.

"He's rested and ready," Jennings said.

Comment

Ugh, they're dumb.

Comment

It puzzles me so much. They seem fairly competent when trading, it doesn't always work out, but I would say they have maybe more hits on trades than misses. The scouting seems to be there, they've developed some very good players through the minors, but when it comes to the day-to-day operation of the major league ballclub there seems to be no one who has a clue. It's frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                It puzzles me so much. They seem fairly competent when trading, it doesn't always work out, but I would say they have maybe more hits on trades than misses. The scouting seems to be there, they've developed some very good players through the minors, but when it comes to the day-to-day operation of the major league ballclub there seems to be no one who has a clue. It's frustrating.
                I'd say they're average at trading, good at scouting, horrible at analytics, bad at drafting (due to philosophy and budget), and horrible at management.

Comment

I don't think that they're bad at drafting. Horrible at analytics sums up all of their flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    I don't think that they're bad at drafting. Horrible at analytics sums up all of their flaws.
                    They draft prep players too much and they are rarely willing to sign over slot.

Comment

I think over slot has more to do with Loria, though.

But drafting a HS pitcher and then going all in last year was dumb as fuck

- - - - - - - - - -

And I do think it goes further than just analytics. Like Nick said, there just seems to be a...culture the Marlins have that is so completely off.

Comment

Working...
                      X