• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Of Course the Marlins Hit 4 HR's in a 9-5 Win at New York

Of course Stanton hit 2 solo HR's.

Of course.

Let's make a run at it.

Lets hope we finally see one of those patented Stanton tears this week. It would be cool if he could finally break 40 home runs in a season.

Comment

Really hope Koehler's out of the rotation and we see what the guys in the minors can do. With him being arbitration eligible, it's hard to see him being on the team next year unless he's awesome out of the pen (which is very possible, he mows down guys first time through). The other guys probably aren't any better, but at least see what you get out of them for next year.

Comment

Are you implying the Marlins throw in the towel with 4 months left in the season? I doubt you are but I'm sleep deprived and sipping on bourbon.

Edit: nevermind,you're just saying Koehler is a 0.1 WAR guy so we might as well see what the guys in the minors can do.

Carry on.

Comment

I think we should let all of our starters come out of the bullpen since they all suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            I think we should let all of our starters come out of the bullpen since they all suck.
            Nope we should trade Haren cause he has lots of value

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
              Nope we should trade Haren cause he has lots of value
              It has nothing to do with his value. It has to do with the fact he is a fifth starter making 10 mil in a rotation full of 5th starters and 3 other prospects in the minor that could be fifth starters that need to be evaluated.

Comment

Isn't Nicolino basically just a lefty Dan Haren?

Comment

I agree with Jay. It would be cool if Haren could keep pitching well and net us a decent prospect in July.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                  Pretty much

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                    Dan Haren struck out guys over 20% of the time in the majors in his prime and he's still striking out 3% more guys than Nicolino. Haren's also walking 2% less batters.

Nicolino's BABIP is high whereas Haren's is low and both have ERA's much lower than FIP and are leaving high amounts of guys on base. Haren's definitely getting lucky whereas I think Nicolino is pitching towards defense. So FIP breaks down into to parts a league constant (this adjusts the scale to look like ERA) and a player part; these two numbers are then added together. Since the league constant will be different for both players, look at the numbers of the player part of the equation. Nicolino equates to a .62 and Haren a 1.33. The reason for the difference here is home runs allowed, Nicolino is much better.

Someone made the comparison to Buehrle and it's much more similar but they still have big difference in home run rates. But Buehrle had a .6 HR/9 in a full season of AA compared to Nicolino's .53 in his full season of AA. Nicolino was older and had more professional experience at that point too. If he can keep his HR rate down, he could be a better version of Buehrle especially with a good defense behind him. His HR rate will probably double in the majors but that could be Buehrle which is solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                      Ha, fair. Difference though is 1) arbitration next year 2) his very good first time through numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        Someone made the comparison to Buehrle and it's much more similar but they still have big difference in home run rates. But Buehrle had a .6 HR/9 in a full season of AA compared to Nicolino's .53 in his full season of AA. Nicolino was older and had more professional experience at that point too. If he can keep his HR rate down, he could be a better version of Buehrle especially with a good defense behind him. His HR rate will probably double in the majors but that could be Buehrle which is solid.
                        I've brought up Buehrle before, but he was the ONLY one that I could find as a comp that was actually good (Which was looking at FB control pitchers, since control pitchers are normally GB guys). There were a few that hovered around 100 ERA+ in their career. Which, I mean, isn't bad. For a #4. Which would make him the ace of our current staff.

On top of which, Buehrle's one of those rare guys that beats his FIP by a good margin. So yeah, hopefully Nicolino's an anomaly. At least there's some kind of good comp, though?

Comment

Working...
                        X