• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    Jose Fernandez

With Jeff Mathis: 109.1ip 1.56era
    Without Jeff Mathis: 115.0ip 2.89era

Yeah I was actually thinking about that tonight when they panned to the dugout and I saw Mathis.

I hope they start Mathis for all Fernandez starts.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by nny View Post
    Starters have lowest BABIP in the majors (.239) but still only 7th in the NL in ERA.

I'm still worried about our rotation (mostly Koehler and Haren)

That is frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
      Jose Fernandez

With Jeff Mathis: 109.1ip 1.56era
      Without Jeff Mathis: 115.0ip 2.89era
      I was just about to post this until I saw you did it first. Mathis and Fernandez are an amazing combo together. Absolutely no reason to break that up.

Comment

What is the expected return for Mathis?

Comment

Starters have lowest BABIP in the majors (.239) but still only 7th in the NL in ERA.

Agree 100%. Haren's gotten really lucky that 6 home runs allowed has only led to 9 ER. That kind of luck just doesn't last long.

Koehler has been stated for a while now. He's had an amazing run and really exceeded expectations the last two years, but it's hard to shake that feeling that the wheels are bound to fall off at any moment with him. Can't do anything since he's pitched decent in every game outside the Mets, and he did really well when we needed him last year, but man putting money on Koehler to put a sub 4 ERA this season is like watching a drunk guy stumbling down the street trying to walk back home from the bar. You know there's a chance that he'll make it back home, and he manages to barely avoid the cars passing by him as he walks from sidewalk to sidewalk, but when it looks like he might just make it home he gets plowed by a Greyhound bus and wrecked. That's Tom Koehler.

I honestly don't know what to make of Latos anymore since he's probably not the guy who gave up 7 runs in less than an inning, but he's not the guy who had a low 3 ERA last year. Cosart seems like a high 3 ERA guy by season's end but the hell do I know, and Alvarez should post a low 3 ERA with Jose coming back and doing about the same.

- - - - - - - - - -

What is the expected return for Mathis?
          Been 2 weeks since he was put on the DL with a 4-6 week recovery time. He should be back very late May.

Comment

Latos has the 9th highest average batted-ball velocity among starters. The fact he's give up so many fly balls and only one homer is borderline miraculous.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
              Agree 100%. Haren's gotten really lucky that 6 home runs allowed has only led to 9 ER. That kind of luck just doesn't last long.

Koehler has been stated for a while now. He's had an amazing run and really exceeded expectations the last two years, but it's hard to shake that feeling that the wheels are bound to fall off at any moment with him. Can't do anything since he's pitched decent in every game outside the Mets, and he did really well when we needed him last year, but man putting money on Koehler to put a sub 4 ERA this season is like watching a drunk guy stumbling down the street trying to walk back home from the bar. You know there's a chance that he'll make it back home, and he manages to barely avoid the cars passing by him as he walks from sidewalk to sidewalk, but when it looks like he might just make it home he gets plowed by a Greyhound bus and wrecked. That's Tom Koehler.

I honestly don't know what to make of Latos anymore since he's probably not the guy who gave up 7 runs in less than an inning, but he's not the guy who had a low 3 ERA last year. Cosart seems like a high 3 ERA guy by season's end but the hell do I know, and Alvarez should post a low 3 ERA with Jose coming back and doing about the same.
              Yeah, I think we both actually mostly agree on the rotation. I'm fine with one of Phelps/Koehler/Haren (I probably actually like Phelps the best since he can strike guys out) being our #5. I think, when Jose comes back, Jose/Alvarez/Latos/Cosart/Whatever is a very solid rotation. But right now it's three number fives, a four, and a "we're still not sure what Latos is" (The homer in mean is still holding out hope but there were a lot of long, loud outs last game and Bob's post objectively backs that up). Even with Alvarez back, it's iffy.

Just hold down the fort for Jose

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of fly balls, our starters have the lowest GB% in the NL.

Part of it's "good job building a team for the park"

But part of it's also "don't you always say you like GB pitchers"

I don't know how you can say that, and then have an off season grabbing Phelps, Latos, and Haren (all very much FB pitchers)

I like it though with our park and outfield defense.

Comment

Cosart isn't as good as he's been. Koehler is a good number 5 just needs to be pulled real fast third time thru the order. the FO needs to just try and get rid of haren. Phelps has impressed thus far.

Comment

And I'm terrified about Latos. The guy gets shelled and somehow the balls find gloves (or don't, in the case of start #1). Whether he's giving up runs or getting outs, it seems like all the contact he gives up is hard. That is bound to spell doom, especially when he isn't missing bats with his stuff.

Comment

Eh, still a fairly small sample size, so I'm not sure how much we can glean from it just yet. Things will look much clearer when Fernandez and Alvarez return. Hopefully, that is.

Comment

Thoughts on Nicolino filling a spot this season eventually? Can he be better than Haren or Koehler?
                      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Nicolino is not someone that I like at all but yeah, I'm guessing he gets his chance this year.

Comment

I know we have to be hopeful, but I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense to be talking about Jose or Henderson as if their returns are inevitable. There's a lotta risk there.

Sure would be nice to have a high-upside lefty to throw in there...
                          poop

Comment

Bobbob's obsession with Brad Hand is weird.

Comment

Gonna have to

Dig deep

and

Grind it out

Vs Bartolo Colon

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                I know we have to be hopeful, but I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense to be talking about Jose or Henderson as if their returns are inevitable. There's a lotta risk there.

Sure would be nice to have a high-upside lefty to throw in there...
                                That's why I said "hopefully." Josh Johnson taught me there is no such thing as inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X