Jarrod Saltalamacchia Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
    This. No one will pick him on the waiver wire because that requires paying the remaining contract. No one will trade for him without the whole contract being eaten because of the leaks of how he's a clubhouse cancer and doesn't want to accept a bench role.

Nick I am pissed about this because it forced the Marlins hand. If they had some patience in the whole situation they could get another team to eat 2+ mill of the salary and get a minor league reliever
    The scenario you describe is far from a guarantee, and Salty would have to actually play catcher to build up any more of his value and that obviously wasn't gonna happen. I would've liked to have seen them try Salty as one of the main pinch-hitters with Mathis as backup C. Maybe we could get even a little bit of value out of him there, instead of just eating the entire contract which it seems like we'll have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
      All of this commotion over a guy who absolutely sucks and will make no difference in whether or not we make the playoffs this year. They DFA'd a garbage player.
      I don't think anyone really cares he's gone, it's the money most of us care about

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        The scenario you describe is far from a guarantee, and Salty would have to actually play catcher to build up any more of his value and that obviously wasn't gonna happen. I would've liked to have seen them try Salty as one of the main pinch-hitters with Mathis as backup C. Maybe we could get even a little bit of value out of him there, instead of just eating the entire contract which it seems like we'll have to do.
        Catcher's require the most days off out of all position players. Between starting him there, some starts at first base (because this club is stupid and will probably send Bour down before more deserving candidates) and pinch hitting, he'd get a some at bats to raise his value. Also Realmuto is far from a sure thing and it gives you insurance if he appears overwhelmed.

I care that they forced the hand. If it's July and he's still around and hasn't turned anything around yeah DFA him but we haven't even gotten out of April.

And we apparently tried to trade him in the offseason. I highly doubt the FO was willing to include money in the deal then. If they ate half the contract someone would have been willing to offer a C level prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
          I don't think anyone really cares he's gone, it's the money most of us care about
          I'm a little upset that they probably made the team worse in addition to throwing $15 million away.

This team's ceiling and margin for error are both vastly smaller with Solano and/or Mathis as the backup catchers.
          poop

Comment

God, I hope we hit some poor team with the dreaded double Solano lineup before Mathis comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I'm a little upset that they probably made the team worse in addition to throwing $15 million away.

This team's ceiling and margin for error are both vastly smaller with Solano and/or Mathis as the backup catchers.
              This is what I'm upset about as well.

Comment

Even not including pitch framing, Mathis defense over Salty doesn't make him THAT much worse of a player. Salty, in his career, as at 0.56 WAR per 250 PA (back up catcher PA) and Mathis is at 0.25 (1.01 WAR v.s. 0.44 WAR over 450 PA if one has to start).

So there's a 0.3 WAR difference over a season not including framing (Which likely negates the difference), not including club house issues, and not including how bad Salty has been past 6 baseball months (.184/.281/.289/.570).

Comment

The Marlins designated catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia for assignment earlier today and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that the team’s general manager, Dan Jennings, has already talked to five teams about a potential trade.

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick pegs the Red Sox, Indians, Mariners, and Diamondbacks among the potential landing spots. And sure enough, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic hears that the Diamondbacks are having “internal discussions” about the possibility. It’s not a bad idea when you consider their current catching tandem consists of Tuffy Gosewisch and Jordan Pacheco.

Saltalamacchia owns a disappointing .209/.310/.351 batting line in 123 games dating back to the start of last season and is owed $7 million this season and $8 million next season, so the Marlins would have to pick up most of the tab to make a deal palatable. They have 10 days to find a match. Otherwise, he’ll hit free agency and be able to sign with a team of his choosing at the major league minimum.
                  http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...altalamacchia/

- - - - - - - - - -

I was thinking maybe you could see a "bad" contract swap, but the only player I see on any of those 4 teams is Aaron Hill, who the DBacks definitely want to get rid of. But he's also owed more money ($24m in 15/16 vs. $15m for Salty) and that doesn't seem like a fit.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well and Nick Swisher, but I don't see that as a remotely realistic scenario.

Comment

that Yasmany Tomas contract looks pretty bad

Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It was more about clubhouse than performance. If he was cool with being a veteran bench player who could help Realmuto he would still be here. Instead he bitched about it to anyone who would listen-Loria/FO/Coaches/Media. As for the trade it will be to Arizona for Aaron Hill(Bad Contract) or for some project prospect(with us paying most of his contract). There is some legit interest tho but we will be paying alot if not most of his contract

Comment

Aaron Hill huh?

Comment

I'm writing it down.

Comment

I never woulda thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              I was thinking maybe you could see a "bad" contract swap, but the only player I see on any of those 4 teams is Aaron Hill, who the DBacks definitely want to get rid of. But he's also owed more money ($24m in 15/16 vs. $15m for Salty) and that doesn't seem like a fit.
                              What about Salty+Baker for Aaron Hill+$6.9m (Evens money)? That'd open up a spot for Hill on the team.

Baker would be better on the bench as a "LHP masher" but we're not going utilize him that way. So Hill is better since he can actually hit RHP, plus he can play premium positions.

Comment

https://youtu.be/-Tc9cp91PI4

Comment

Working...
                                X