Marlins Lose 5th Straight After Loss to Phillies, 3-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excerpt:

"The Marlins aren't hitting. Though they could be worse off from a runs scored standpoint, they're hitting just .244 with a .653 OPS as a team. As I'm writing this, FanGraphs has them tied for 21st in adjusted offense. They've been as productive as the Houston Astros, which is not a compliment.

The Marlins aren't pitching, either. Their 5.21 ERA currently stands as the worst in baseball, and that's been a roughly equal effort between the club's starters (5.30 ERA) and relievers (5.07 ERA). Even if you switch to Fielding Independent Pitching, Miami's pitching staff still checks in as a bottom-10 unit."

- - - - - - - - - -

The writer goes on to list trade bait candidates - Latos, Haren, Salty, Prado - which all seem about right.

- - - - - - - - - -

Can't wait to see the sea of blue seats on the next home stand
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

"Trade Ozuna"

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friends!
      poop

Comment

i'm not saying trade him for the sake of trading him. I just believe if you were to trade him you can get the same value or more back for him as he is worth for the team. But when I think about starting the Reggie Abercrombies of the world I don't know

- - - - - - - - - -

They should try batting Hech 4th. He's ops is 2000 in that spot in his career.

Comment

I do think some patience is needed, especially from Loria. Fix SP (which massively is upgraded by Jose and Alvarez) and everything else should be okay. Don't blow it up, add to it instead...

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
            I do think some patience is needed, especially from Loria. Fix SP (which massively is upgraded by Jose and Alvarez) and everything else should be okay. Don't blow it up, add to it instead...
            How do we add to it without giving up something on the roster? Dietrich, nicolino and kolek are the only real pieces that come to mind.

Comment

Draft Rodon and/or sign Shields.

Oh wait.

We can't really do anything currently :\

Comment

The Rodon decision still upsets me. I understand the Shields decision at the time even if it might not work out long term. It's super early but I'm not nearly as high on Kolek as I was when we drafted him given his control seems worse than advertised and his secondary pitches suck something bad. I actually agree with someones assessment that he might profile as a reliever long term.

As I've already said, I agree with nny in that patience is needed. We need Alvarez back badly, but it's also huge that Latos starts playing like his history suggests he should. If Latos can be even a little of what he used to the rotation moves itself into form much better. I really feel it's just everybody playing horribly at the same time and that things should start turning around. They dug themselves a terrible hole early in the season which sucks, but this team isn't this bad long term. Anybody who does is really overreacting.

Even now I like all the moves we made this offseason. Gordon has worked out HUGE, Prado should work out fine, I don't think Latos is a 7 ERA guy obviously, and Michael Morse is likely close to the kind of player he is at the moment unfortunately. Ozuna/Yelich struggling hurts badly and starting Salty to start the year hurt (which the team seems to have reacted to quickly which is good).

I know it's not the in fashion thing to say right now, but when things start evening out this team should reach .500 by late June. That should put us in a spot to compete around when Fernandez returns. As I've said a million times during this awful start, yes I'm worried about how much we've sucked, but I would be beyond shocked if this lasts much longer. The team top to bottom is far more talented than the numbers currently suggest.

The biggest mistake made was the confidence in the starting rotation. Traded away Eovaldi and just about every near MLB ready pitching prospect while getting Latos/Phelps. Tom Koehler is probably too prone to horrid innings to survive the rotation for long, Cosart was a regression candidate waiting to happen, Latos has bombed so far, and Haren has been about what was expected. Also Phelps likely isn't a surprise breakout candidate as hoped and Brad Hand is the same pitcher he's been for years (which means he can fill in as a late start if needed and be OK but can't be relied on for an entire season).

It's a while away, but the team probably needs to spend June/July searching the pitching market for some trades even with Fernandez returning.
                Last edited by dim; 04-22-2015, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                  Draft Rodon and/or sign Shields.

Oh wait.

We can't really do anything currently :\
                  That's exactly my point hitting the reset for 15 and going all in on 16 is probably a decision that should be made sooner rather than wait til Jose comes back and they decide that they're in the race despite being under 500 and do nothing.

I've said it before the salty hate here is over the top. I get that he sucks defensively but his bat is what it should have been projected to be at the contract signing. They just refuse to use him correctly and he started the season slumping.

I'm probably the only one saying dee is a prime example of what's wrong with this organization

- - - - - - - - - -

Again they have essentially nothing to offer for an impact starter outside of what's on the roster. waiting until June would be a mistake. Alvarez went down and he was the closest to a sure thing in the rotation.

The eovaldi trade was the only one that made sense to me. the hole at third wasn't getting filled otherwise

Comment

Marlins Lose 5th Straight After Loss to Phillies, 3-7

I think most everyone here is still pretty anti-Dee trade even if we love what he's done so far. I've said before I hate that I'm probably going to hate him in a month.

The problem with "reset now for '16" is the only guy not around next year is Latos. Trading Ozuna or something just creates more holes. Same with guys like Morse or Prado. It's not just a matter of patience this year, but patience with the foundation. Post this year there's Jose, Alvarez, and free agency to address SP needs. The rest of our roster is fine (hitting sucks atm but it def should come around)

Comment

Dunn cishek latos haren salty ichiro should all be traded in a reset. I'd say Morse too considering it should be relatively easy to find a platoon to produce on first. any pitcher not named Jose is replaceable but really depends on who's coming and going. I'd say deep and hech should be traded but the FO probably views them as untouchable. Ozuna if you find a replacement.

Basically they could trade everyone but Jose yelich Stanton realmuto and prado and the only player that would be hard to replace is ozuna.

Comment

image.jpg

That about sums it up.

Comment

That's his normal face
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

He seriously looked like he was going to cry in the post game.

Comment

needs to dig deep and grind it out

Comment

Light a fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X