Marlins Get Swept by Mets, Lose by a Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dim View Post
    How was Dee for financial reasons? We gave up prospects for him. That just isn't right. Also, it obviously wasn't an obsession with speed if you've watched the games so far and his first half last season. He's a hell of a lot better than what we trotted out there last season and we'd be even worse without him.

I've touted Austin Barnes higher than anybody, but saying he'd provide the same value as Gordon is absolutely ridiculous. Barnes is likely a very good utility player while Dee is an above average starting 2nd baseman.

I'm not sure Heaney and Haren are equals right now. Down the line Heaney could be more valuable, but Heaney struggled hard last year in the majors and Haren is putting up good results right now. Heaney isn't even in the majors right now.

The Latos comment is also off. Disco could easily be a great starter, and he's done great so far, but I'm not certain he's anything more than a #4 starter long term. Also Wallach was in A ball. I like him but lets not use his walk rate and call him the second coming of Scott Hatteberg.

Prado shouldn't be leading off, and again that comment is weird to make since Dee has been awesome thus far.

For the Cishek comment, that $6 million he's making didn't stop us from signing anybody, and trading Cishek would've left us with a hole at closer that would've been filled with Francisco Rodriguez or Jonathan Papelbon for that same price tag. Sure at some point it's likely that Cishek will be traded when he gets too costly, but right now he's at a reasonable cost and should perform well as the year continues. He offers stability at the closer spot that the team lacked for a bunch of years before him.

The second graders comment is obviously dumb and shows just how much you actually know about what it takes to run a front office. Hill and Jennings have done a pretty good job of gathering talent this season given the budgetary constraints as always. A poor start doesn't negate the fact that the offense on paper is immensely improved over last year, and that with Fernandez and Alvarez healthy this rotation would look a hell of a lot better. They wanted Shields but the price tag got too high, and none of the pitchers on the market really were that good. The 3-10 start doesn't take away from what was actually a good offseason.
    Well we can't just judge someone by their performance over the course of the first two weeks.

I wasn't talking about Barnes being on par with Gordon but this guy Dietrich is. The financial motivation in the deal was the fact that they paid for both his and Haren's salaries this season meaning Loria only needed to pay 23 guys. I guess you're right Dee makes the team better because Deitrich still wouldn't be playing over Solano and everyone involved in the trade would have just provided organizational depth (at least to start the season).

Heaney should be a fifth starter at this point in his development according to this FO so even if he isn't the same quality of a pitcher as Haren (who is a fifth starter in the league) the organization still sucks at evaluating talent because they expected him to develop into much better than a 5th starter in the long term and be competing for a roster position this year.

I never said Prado should be leading off. Yelich should with Prado behind him. Dee's stolen bases in the lead off position will lead to less runs than he will cost by being caught stealing in that position.

Paying a relief pitcher 10% of the on-field salary commitment is absurd. The idea that a proven closer is necessary is flawed. Saves along with stolen bases are the most overrated statistics in baseball yet the marlins seem to value them more than anything else. Cishek is already too costly for this team.

Second graders evaluate players based on the same stats that Hill and Jennings have done. Fernandez was a known injury going into the season; you can't say the rotation would look a lot better with him now when you knew he wasn't going to be in it to begin with. Yes Alvarez injury hurt but it explains why this team wasn't a real contender this season to begin with which again makes the Latos trade look bad unless they were going to sign him. The Shields price tag got too high? Shields signed for a lower amount of money than anyone thought he would at the start of the offseason. Signing him also wasn't a luxury for the Marlins to be serious competitors it was a necessity.

Comment

On the one hand, it's still really early.

On the other, I thought this was only a playoff team if absolutely everything went right this season, so I'm not feeling great about the season. But then, I never really bought into them as a playoff contender. This offseason was pretty frustrating for me, given how they seemingly went 80% of the way there and then puffed their chests out.

Oh well, at least Kolek is getting rave reviews and Rodon is looking like a bust.
      poop

Comment

The Marlins had 2 more hits than the Mets did over the 4 game sweep. I'm really glad I spend the entire day outside and didn't watch this.

Comment

Working...
        X