Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Heaney, Hernandez, Barnes, Hatcher to Dodgers for Gordon, Haren, Rojas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    Yes, their average payroll 2012-2014 is $65.3m.

The tv deal thing is legit. It doesn't justify nearly all of it, but when taking tv revenue into account we are not the cheapest team in the league. We're still probably no better than 25th or so at best though.

The Astros are getting over $40m more than us yearly in regional tv money. Padres are close to $60m more.
    My concern isn't even totally whether they're cheap. It's not necessarily a moral thing for me. If their bottom line is really that low, it's hard to see how this can work sustainably. Like, let's say they get a new deal that's an increase, but still likely among the lowest in the league. If their new number is $90 million, and that's a relatively hard number long-term, it's hard to see how they compete over the life of a TV deal.

It just feels like there's so much money flowing beyond the regional TV deals, that $65 million feels exceptionally low. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around it, I guess.
    poop

Comment

• TV deal is up in 2019 correct?
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

The biggest mistake they made is they signed such a long deal (this was done in 04 and 05 and wasn't that bad money-wise at the time) with no opt outs.

They seem confident they can renegotiate a new one to start in 2017, but you would imagine getting FOX to rip up 4 years of their remaining deal is going to hurt the overall number they're going to get this time some too.

Comment

• and, fwiw, Forbes has them at a net operating income loss of $18 million over the last two years, but had them making $196 from 2007-2012, combined.

Who knows if those numbers mean anything.
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            My concern isn't even totally whether they're cheap. It's not necessarily a moral thing for me. If their bottom line is really that low, it's hard to see how this can work sustainably. Like, let's say they get a new deal that's an increase, but still likely among the lowest in the league. If their new number is $90 million, and that's a relatively hard number long-term, it's hard to see how they compete over the life of a TV deal.

It just feels like there's so much money flowing beyond the regional TV deals, that $65 million feels exceptionally low. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around it, I guess.

I don't disagree with you that they should still be able to spend more. I don't buy that they'd lose money right now at $90m (for example).

But I definitely do think the Padres spending $95m is worse than us spending $65m when they've got $60m more coming in tv money (although you're not disagreeing with that).

Comment

• MLB Network makes me laugh sometimes. Gushing about the good young players going into their prime in Gordon and Hechavarria.

Howie Kendrick? Solid player.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 6m6 minutes ago
                #Marlins' Mike Hill says Marlins view Dan Haren as "great fit" & think "he'll work through what he needs to work through" to keep playing

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 3m3 minutes ago
                Jeffrey Loria on Haren : "We hope he's going to play. We expect he's going to play. I may just leave it at that"
                who knows if this actually means anything because its not like they're going to come out and say they hope he retires

Comment

• James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 12m12 minutes ago
                  Sight of the night: Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria taking a photo of the media gathered around Marlins prez Mike Hill -- with his flip phone.
                  Told ya that he has a flip phone.
                  --------------------
                  Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 1m1 minute ago
                  I jumped the gun projecting Morneau to #Marlins could be nearly done. That is not the case. May not even be a match #Rockies
                  Well then.
                  --------------------
                  Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez 9s9 seconds ago
                  #Angels were trying to acquire Heaney from #Marlins before he was dealt to #Dodgers, but didn't offer Kendrick. Dipoto: "It wasn't a match."
                  Huh?
                  Last edited by Miamarlin21; 12-11-2014, 01:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    Huh?
                    As someone else mentioned either in this thread or the other, I believe Kendrick had the Marlins on his no trade list, therefore (in theory) not a match. Not sure if that's "the" reason, but a plausible factor.

Comment

• Ben Nicholson-Smith ‏@bnicholsonsmith
                      #BlueJays, #Mets, #Rays, #Marlins are the four teams to which Howie Kendrick can block trades per sources. OPS+ of 116 since 2011.
                      https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/...97535783608320

so yeah, the Angels wouldn't have offered him

you don't ask someone with a 4-team list to reconsider

Comment

• Also, one year rental vs long term option plus ~7m difference in salary.

Still would have rather had Howie, but Dee is everything this team wants (especially speed)

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post

The biggest mistake they made is they signed such a long deal (this was done in 04 and 05 and wasn't that bad money-wise at the time) with no opt outs.

They seem confident they can renegotiate a new one to start in 2017, but you would imagine getting FOX to rip up 4 years of their remaining deal is going to hurt the overall number they're going to get this time some too.
                          I think probably there's the threat of, "if you don't rip up these last 4 deals we're going to partner with Arison and create a regional sports network and you'll lose all of our business." Heat's deal is up after 2017-2018 season. This is pure posturing and I haven't heard a single thing about it, but it seems to make some sense. The Heat don't have a great deal either.

http://heathoops.com/2014/08/a-view-...local-tv-deal/
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            ^If only he could hit.

Hi.

-Hecchavarria.

Comment

• Hechavarria's OPS was 200 points higher than this kids though.

Puig was 199 points better than Hechavarria. So the gap between Puig and Hech...that's how much worse this kid is offensively.

.238/.305/.297 career hitter in the minors. The fact he even made it to the majors is a testament to how good he must be defensively.
                              Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Miguel Rojas suffered a dislocated finger in a Winter League game. He'll be out a week.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X