Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Heaney, Hernandez, Barnes, Hatcher to Dodgers for Gordon, Haren, Rojas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's troubling, as well.

Comment

• I just don't see how it gets better. With the amount of money that is coming into the sport, you'd think they would be able to sustain an $80 million payroll no matter what. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing, but it's hard to look around the league and think that a team like the Indians, which has consistently added payroll in recent years, can sustain a payroll level that the Marlins can't.

I know I sound like a broken record, but what the hell was 2013 and 2014 about if they weren't able to save up cash to use moving forward.
      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        Kendrick Career
        LD% 20.0 GB% 54.7 IFH% 6.2

Gordon Career
        LD% 21.4 GB% 58.0 IFH% 11.4

I'm not arguing here or anything, I want you to talk more to me about this. What's a good indicator of what to look for here? Gordon's line drive rate is actually higher, but maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means. Is there an indicator of gap power that I'm missing?
        --------------------
        Although now that I re-read your post you don't say Kendrick has power, so this post is probably irrelevant.
        It seems that people keep currently xBABIP formulas under wraps. Fangraphs posted a "xBABIP" thing in July. At the time, Gordon's BABIP was .349 and his xBABIP was .309. Kendrick, though, is similar (.343 BABIP, .307 xBABIP).

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/updated-xbabip-values/

But yeah, basically speed+GB (which Gordon does, and does have a high career BABIP) or power+LD is what leads to high BABIPs. I think Kendrick is mostly just considered an outlier. Chris Johnson is another Outlier
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I just don't see how it gets better. With the amount of money that is coming into the sport, you'd think they would be able to sustain an $80 million payroll no matter what. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing, but it's hard to look around the league and think that a team like the Indians, which has consistently added payroll in recent years, can sustain a payroll level that the Marlins can't.

I know I sound like a broken record, but what the hell was 2013 and 2014 about if they weren't able to save up cash to use moving forward.
        No, I think everyone's with you. It is very concerning. It's just trying to make the best of a shitty situation.
        Last edited by nny; 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• bobbob, the indians signed a new tv deal recently, didn't they?

Comment

• Miguel Rojas defense

SS 283.2inn 10 DRS 25.0 UZR/150 - led all SS with at least 250 innings in UZR/150.

3B 105.2inn 4 DRS 28.1 UZR/150 - 2nd among 3B with at least 100 innings in UZR/150.

god damn
            --------------------
            Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
            bobbob, the indians signed a new tv deal recently, didn't they?
            the Indians created their own regional network and then SOLD it to Fox, they're a bad example to use
            Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2014, 12:18 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• ^If only he could hit.

Comment

• the Indians get 235% the yearly regional tv revenue the Marlins do

that's not counting the $230m they got when Fox bought SportsTime Ohio

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                  bobbob, the indians signed a new tv deal recently, didn't they?
                  Does Minnesota have a new TV deal?

Heck, even the Royals have consistently had higher payrolls than the Marlins every year except the first in the new stadium.

Maybe the TV deal explains it away entirely, and things will improve when they get that done. But even then, it's hard to trust them ever being middle-of-the pack.
                  poop

Comment

• I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't think the Indians spending $85-90m and the Marlins spending $65m when the Indians make $23m more a year in tv money is that big of a thing.

Comment

• Well, that's the Marlins spending $65 million this year.

If they can sustain $65 million this year, that means they should have been operating in the black to the tune of roughly $50 million over the previous two seasons combined.

Again, maybe the TV money explains away that discrepancy entirely.
                      poop

Comment

• Twins get $12m more annually than the Marlins.

Royals get $3m more, their deal sucks too.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Well, that's the Marlins spending $65 million this year.

If they can sustain $65 million this year, that means they should have been operating in the black to the tune of roughly $50 million over the previous two seasons combined.
                        Well, they also spent the exact amount in 2013 & 2014 to make their 3 year average $65.3m. So maybe that really is their sustainable number with this tv deal?

They offset the costs of 2012.
                        Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2014, 12:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                          Twins get $12m more annually than the Marlins.

Royals get $3m more, their deal sucks too.
                          --------------------

Well, they also spend the exact amount in 2013 & 2014 to make their 3 year average $65.3m. So maybe that really is their sustainable number with this tv deal?
                          Do you mean including 2012?
                          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            Do you mean including 2012?
                            Yes, their average payroll 2012-2014 is $65.3m.

The tv deal thing is legit. It doesn't justify nearly all of it, but when taking tv revenue into account we are not the cheapest team in the league. We're still probably no better than 25th or so at best though.

The Astros are getting over $40m more than us yearly in regional tv money. Padres are close to $60m more.
                            --------------------
                            The other issue is whether they are really going to be able to get the kind of increase they think they're gonna get with their new deal, which is definitely up for debate.
                            Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2014, 12:37 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• It doesn't help that Loria doesn't have a massive money background like some owners do. Or that he's a single entity and not part of an ownership group.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/FlashGJr/status/542926137542733824

Comment

Working...
                                X