No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is happening. Daft, just relax and let it happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party On (Next Year) View Post
      My kids will get to see Giancarlo in a Marlins uniform. O_O

/Thinks the we tried conspiracy might have some truth to it
      When I was a kid Gary Sheffield was my favorite player. They signed him to a 6/61 contract with a no trade clause in 97 (was still in 5th grade at the time) and my dad said "You're going to be in high school and able to drive yourself to the ballpark when he's in his last year of his contract."

He was gone 12 months later.

I know that wasn't The Jeffrey Group, but the moral of the story is...don't buy a Stanton toddler jersey yet.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• @Buster_ESPN: In the Stanton talks, the topic of how to build in assurances that Marlins will work to compete has been raised.
        Twitter

There's an article on ESPN Insider, but I don't have access. It's by Buster Olney.

Comment

• There hadn’t been enough time to wipe the blood from Giancarlo Stanton’s face before he was lifted onto a golf cart after a Mike Fiers’ fastball crumpled his cheek on September 11. But before he was taken away for treatment, Stanton reached out a hand to his father, who happened to be in Milwaukee that night and had made his way the field. The gesture was seemingly meant to reassure his dad.

But the fact is that at that instant, Stanton didn’t know if he would be OK, and didn’t know if, with that one pitch, his career had been altered forever, in the way that one moment altered everything for other young players. The next time that Stanton spoke with reporters, after spending days with doctors, he acknowledged to them that if the pitch had struck him differently, millimeters in another direction, the injuries he sustained could’ve been career-threatening.

Millimeters in another direction, and the Marlins wouldn’t be willing to offer him a contract for something in the range of $325 million over 12 years, which is one of the options that has been discussed.

Only Stanton knows if his season-ending injury is a factor in how he feels about the Marlins’ varied and staggering proposals, which are designed to keep him with the team as long as possible. Mutual friends have said in recent years that Stanton hasn’t really been interested in a future with the Marlins -- but it would be entirely understandable if Fiers’ pitch altered his perspective. Stanton’s dreams and hopes have survived that terrible accident. Baseball history is filled with others who weren’t as lucky.

One pitch forever altered the career of Tony Conigliaro, who was hit in the face by the Angels’ Jack Hamilton; he was never the same. Dickie Thon was one of the best young players in the National League in 1984, 25 years old, coming off his first All-Star appearance, and with one Mike Torrez pitch, his career changed forever.
          [+] EnlargeBryce Florie
          Brian Bahr /Allsport
          Bryce Florie's career was essentially ended by a line drive that struck him in the face in 2000.

Bobby Valentine was regarded as such a great young player that the Angels asked for him in return for Andy Messersmith, but he mangled his leg in pursuit of a fly ball in 1972 and it wasn’t too long after that that his former manager Tommy Lasorda had to tell him he would never be a great player. Bryce Florie was in the midst of what appeared to be a long career as a major-league pitcher, but a ball hit through the middle in 2000 changed all of that, and as well as his vision.

I had met Bryce in 1992, when he was playing Class A in the Padres’ organization, and happened to be covering the game that effectively ended his career -- it was the worst thing I’ve ever seen on a field.

Twenty-five years before that, when I was 11 years old, I went to Fenway Park to see a doubleheader between the Orioles and Red Sox, with seats behind home plate. Tony Muser lashed a line drive that struck Dick Pole in the face. In my mind’s eye, I can still see Pole staggering around the infield; I can still hear his scream of pain. He threw his last major-league pitch at age 27.

Serendipity is the common denominator in all of those tragic stories, and even if Stanton doesn’t specifically know the story of Conigliario, or Thon, or Florie, he has had a first-hand reminder of just how fleeting his baseball life is.

Before he stepped into bat against Fiers, he was baseball’s incredible hulk, the most coveted slugger in the majors, the guy that every other team is frothing for, the guy who everybody wanted to see in the Home Run Derby in Minneapolis -- and he didn’t disappoint, crushing a ball through a cold wind, into the upper deck. But in the time it took for Fiers’ fastball to travel to from the mound to the plate, off course, this all changed. As Stanton lay on the ground, nobody was thinking about whether he would be the National League Most Valuable Player; what everybody was wondering was: Is he going to be OK?

Maybe Stanton wondered that, too, or maybe not; only he knows for sure. But 64 days have passed since that he suffered those facial fractures, and reached out to his father, and in that time he turned 25, on Nov. 8, and has been told by the Marlins they are willing to give him the most lucrative contract in U.S. professional sports history.

The Marlins have been a punchline for much of their existence, and their ballpark is mostly empty on most days, partly because the team’s payroll is consistently among the two or three lowest in the sport. One aspect of the Stanton contract discussion has been about what kind of team the Marlins can field around the slugger, and if there is some sort of language that can be added to address Stanton’s desire to play on a relevant team.

But the Marlins view Stanton as their Cal Ripken, the beacon of the franchise, and they are willing to pay him more than any player has been paid anywhere.

Giancarlo Stanton has been lucky enough to see baseball from all sides, from the glory of the batter’s box, watching as fans distantly chase his home runs, and from the ground, eyes closed, the voices around him trying to comfort while none of them knew if he actually was going to be OK. He’s been the guy on the stretcher reaching out to his father.

Stanton is a California native, and if he held out and went to the Dodgers, he would be baseball’s version of Shaquille O’Neal, outsized even in that market -- a star. If he went to the Cubs, he could own Chicago. He could be a big fish in the biggest pond, instead of remain in the shallow end of the Miami sports scene.

But with his full perspective, saying no to the fortune of a lifetime might be very, very difficult.

There is no indication whether Stanton might accept a deal, writes Clark Spencer.
          http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...n?refresh=true

Comment

• Originally posted by Party On (Next Year) View Post
            A few points:

Portland's MLB boosters have been inactive for a long time. It is debatable whether there is the political will to propose a publicly financed stadium that would make a move viable. You also have to consider Portland's weak corporate base and the disposable income from residents. That area has been struggling in recent years with both.

Any move to San Antonio is going to be fought by the Astros and Rangers. The Astros crappy television network has been struggling mightily and the Rangers have that billion dollar TV contract they signed a few years ago. Then you have to consider again whether the political will is there to publicly finance a stadium to make the move worthwhile.

There really isn't a place for the Rays to move.

The Marlins would benefit tremendously to having Florida all to themselves but the pieces are not close to falling into place for that to happen. MLB still has to resolve the A's issue. A lot can happen in 5-6 years to the Tampa market to change some of the demographic problems the Rays are encountering. Aside from the Expos, no other team has moved in the last 40 years. The Expos had a lot of macroeconomic issues between the US and Canada that hurt the franchise. The league doesnt burn it's bridges often like the other leagues.

IIRC, Loria has two years left on the lease before we can sell without owing the county a dime.
            I think San Antonio would build a stadium, they really want another major league sports team and certainly have a big enough market combining Austin. Not to mention, Alamodome could be used for a year or two during any construction activities (already doing exhibition/other stuff there). I agree Portland (or Vegas, or wherever) is more of a longshot for a variety of reasons, but Texas is big enough to handle it despite any bitching by Houston (and MLB certainly can throw in some carrots). It would be no different than something like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh geographically speaking. The NBA also has teams in all three and they all do well.

I think Oakland will eventually work itself out, whether its Oakland, Freemont, Santa Clara, or wherever. But Tampa is done, especially when the post Friedman-Maddon tailspin begins next season (they are going to be real bad). I can't imagine Tampa will fund a stadium after seeing what Miami is going through with the Marlins and the pathetic attendance. It's an inevitability in my eyes. It's just when is the plug pulled, not if.

I do agree though, this isn't a 5-6 year thing, more like an 8-12, so to bring it full circle on how this came up, I don't think any of this impacts the bottom line of the Marlins for Loria to sell in the next 5-6 year window when the TV contract is up and/or Stanton making the franchise more valuable. Just musing.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by Big Z View Post
            @Buster_ESPN: In the Stanton talks, the topic of how to build in assurances that Marlins will work to compete has been raised.
            Give him an opt out in 6 years - which coincides with 10/5 rights. He'd still get paid at 31 if he has to bolt. Backload the deal also so it'll make his decision harder (to incentivize he stays).

And simultaneous extend Yelich and Alvarez, sign a free agent SP, and tell him flat out, when Fernandez proves his health, or Ozuna, Cosart, Heaney, etc. prove they are for real, they'll get deals too. They can't contractually assure something, show him.
            Last edited by lou; 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• The fact that there's no indication he'll accept smells fishy right? Pretty sure he gone.

Something about this whole thing, the leaked contract "offer", the no comment from Wolfe, just makes me feel like it's not going to happen.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by lou View Post
              I think San Antonio would build a stadium, they really want another major league sports team and certainly have a big enough market combining Austin. Not to mention, Alamodome could be used for a year or two during any construction activities (already doing exhibition/other stuff there). I agree Portland (or Vegas, or wherever) is more of a longshot for a variety of reasons, but Texas is big enough to handle it despite any bitching by Houston (and MLB certainly can throw in some carrots). It would be no different than something like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh geographically speaking. The NBA also has teams in all three and they all do well.

I think Oakland will eventually work itself out, whether its Oakland, Freemont, Santa Clara, or wherever. But Tampa is done, especially when the post Friedman-Maddon tailspin begins next season (they are going to be real bad). I can't imagine Tampa will fund a stadium after seeing what Miami is going through with the Marlins and the pathetic attendance. It's an inevitability in my eyes. It's just when is the plug pulled, not if.

I do agree though, this isn't a 5-6 year thing, more like an 8-12, so to bring it full circle on how this came up, I don't think any of this impacts the bottom line of the Marlins for Loria to sell in the next 5-6 year window when the TV contract is up and/or Stanton making the franchise more valuable. Just musing.
              --------------------

Give him an opt out in 6 years - which coincides with 10/5 rights. He'd still get paid at 31 if he has to bolt. Backload the deal also so it'll make his decision harder (to incentivize he stays).

And simultaneous extend Yelich and Alvarez, sign a free agent SP, and tell him flat out, when Fernandez proves his health, or Ozuna, Cosart, Heaney, etc. prove they are for real, they'll get deals too. They can't contractually assure something, show him.
              By all indications, the push is strong in Montreal, and I did read that they were potentially willing to pay for something (especially if Bronfman were involved).
              Last edited by emkayseven; 11-14-2014, 09:25 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Why would there be indication whether he will accept?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Why would there be indication whether he will accept?
                  There wouldn't. But it seems the Marlins are doing some serious PR here.

Let's assume Stanton says no - is anyone in South Florida going to blame them if they then trade him to the Dodgers for Puig, Seager, etc.

Comment

• CBS Sports' Jon Heyman was told by a source that extension talks between the Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton are at the "10-yard line."
                    Heyman says the two sides "are said to be in basic agreement on the financial terms," but "there were still said to be one or two significant non-monetary hurdles to overcome." Those two hurdles are thought to be either an opt-out or no-trade clause or possibly both. Heyman concurs with FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal's report that the contract would be in the range of 12 years and $320 million, but he says it's possible the deal could be stretched to 13 years. The Marlins have been reluctant to give no-trade clauses in the past, but it's possible they could make an exception for Stanton.
                    Guys, this might happen.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• nah

he gone

Comment

• It's gonna fucking happen.

Comment

• When is it standard operating procedure for terms of an extension to be so clearly presented in the media without either party making a statement about it?

The Marlins are leaking shit. This is all part of the PR spin.

Comment

• Really need media to point out he has a no trade in 6 years with 10/5 rights, so if anything, its protection before that. I'm sure the Marlins will give a NTC for 4 years, but want that 2 year window open to dump if it doesn't work out

Comment

• K let's get these out of the way first-from Todd Fuck tjfla and from 5 others bullshit

The money part is pretty much done and it will be 12/13 yrs for between 315-330 million.

The 2 issues right now-Stanton wants a No Trade clasue that will turn into Limited No Trade Clause with only teams like LAD,LAA,SF,SD on it after a certain season(Other words if the team sucks in 8-10 years he will take a trade to a West Coast team he doesn't want to sign and in 5 years be dealt to NYY or Detroit) and the other issue is how the money will breakdown-Loria wants to pay him more at the end of the deal rather then now.(Other words in 8-10 years he will be dealt ,but he will be around until then)

Comment

• Loria. Fucking Loria.

I read that Jon Heyman said the Marlins feel as if they have zero chance of signing Fernandez, and this is another reason why they're going all out on Stanton.

Comment

Working...
                                X