No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's really strange. Both links are working just fine for me.

Is it working for anyone else?
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      I'd rather keep a hitter than a pitcher longterm anyway, gun to my head. Less breakdown, plus right now offense is down so much that a big time hitter is a huge asset. Cory Kluber just won a Cy Young Award, you know?
      Plus Stanton is 5 years younger than Fernandez.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      That's really strange. Both links are working just fine for me.

Is it working for anyone else?
      works fine for me
      Last edited by HUGG; 11-13-2014, 08:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        $300 million is a liability on the books. I think it would hurt evaluation, even if it does get some bump at the gate.

I also think concerning your TV deal comment, the BIG domino for Loria is Tampa moving to San Antonio/Portland and the Marlins getting the central florida (and maybe state) media market, i.e. that tv contract quadruples in value which will drastically impact how much the Marlins are worth. Not sure a looming new contract in 5 years plays into this much unless Tampa Rays announces they are for sure moving (I think this is inevitability, and the Marlins move into the AL East, Rays NL Central, and Brewers NL East, but that's just speculation on my part when the domino of Tampa moving does fall).

As for paying the county, I think he owes like a $13-15 million payment if he sells early. i.e., chump change in a franchise sale so a relative non issue. Could be wrong though. I do know the Marlins are making a ton off not paying taxes on the parking garages because of lawyer fuck ups on city.

We'll see, interesting though.
        A few points:

Portland's MLB boosters have been inactive for a long time. It is debatable whether there is the political will to propose a publicly financed stadium that would make a move viable. You also have to consider Portland's weak corporate base and the disposable income from residents. That area has been struggling in recent years with both.

Any move to San Antonio is going to be fought by the Astros and Rangers. The Astros crappy television network has been struggling mightily and the Rangers have that billion dollar TV contract they signed a few years ago. Then you have to consider again whether the political will is there to publicly finance a stadium to make the move worthwhile.

There really isn't a place for the Rays to move.

The Marlins would benefit tremendously to having Florida all to themselves but the pieces are not close to falling into place for that to happen. MLB still has to resolve the A's issue. A lot can happen in 5-6 years to the Tampa market to change some of the demographic problems the Rays are encountering. Aside from the Expos, no other team has moved in the last 40 years. The Expos had a lot of macroeconomic issues between the US and Canada that hurt the franchise. The league doesnt burn it's bridges often like the other leagues.

IIRC, Loria has two years left on the lease before we can sell without owing the county a dime.

Comment

I'm not sure Stanton is worth 10/$300MM, but it would be great move for this franchise. We need to remove that burden of baseball fans always saying "they can't afford their players" or "they will trade him eventually". However, I think we will need to expand payroll into at least the $80MM range in order to retain our players and add valuable pieces down the stretch. Will that happen? We can only hope.

We should be going after Tomas or the Moncada kid. Wasn't Loria reportedly pissed that he couldn't acquire Abreu last year? If that pisses you off so much, stick your money when your mouth is and go all out. We are a few moves away from having a playoff team.
          Last edited by Big Z; 11-13-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            I don't think it would be stupid, but it would be stupid if they kept payroll for the team annually at $60millionish. They'd just have to spend around him.
            I can't see how you spend that kind of money on one player only to trot out a bunch of garbage around him. It's a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Party On (Next Year) View Post
              A few points:
              There really isn't a place for the Rays to move.

The Marlins would benefit tremendously to having Florida all to themselves but the pieces are not close to falling into place for that to happen. MLB still has to resolve the A's issue. A lot can happen in 5-6 years to the Tampa market to change some of the demographic problems the Rays are encountering. Aside from the Expos, no other team has moved in the last 40 years. The Expos had a lot of macroeconomic issues between the US and Canada that hurt the franchise. The league doesnt burn it's bridges often like the other leagues.

IIRC, Loria has two years left on the lease before we can sell without owing the county a dime.
              Montreal has been a rumored spot for them.

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
              I'm not sure Stanton is worth 10/$300MM, but it would be great move for this franchise. We need to remove that burden of baseball fans always saying "they can't afford their players" or "they will trade him eventually". However, I think we will need to expand payroll into at least the $80MM range in order to retain our players and add valuable pieces down the stretch. Will that happen? We can only hope.

We should be going after Tomas or the Moncada kid. Wasn't Loria reportedly pissed that he couldn't acquire Abreu last year? If that pisses you off so much, stick your money when your mouth is and go all out. We are a few moves away from having a playoff team.
              Isn't Tomas an outfielder? Don't really need another, especially for the dollar figure he'll reportedly command. And given Abreu's production last year, I'd be mad too.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Isn't Tomas an outfielder? Don't really need another, especially for the dollar figure he'll reportedly command. And given Abreu's production last year, I'd be mad too.
                I think I read he can play 3B and 1B

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Same questions as the other markets: Is there support for a public subsidy to build a stadium? (If no, you're looking at a $600 million relocation fee.) Are the demographics there? (Area is much more French than it was when the Expos began.) One positive is the lucrative TV contract that would come from the CBC to compete against the Blue Jays on Rogers.

Comment

Loria would not pay Jesus Christ $300,000,000 to play RF. You're only dreaming if you think he gives it to Stanton.

This is all a show so they can say, "sEe wE tRiEd!!!1!!1!"

Comment

• Give him $300 million and bring in the fences by 15 feet in left and watch him be worth more than $30 million a year.

Comment

• Yuh

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          Loria would not pay Jesus Christ $300,000,000 to play RF. You're only dreaming if you think he gives it to Stanton.

This is all a show so they can say, "sEe wE tRiEd!!!1!!1!"
                          I hate that I'm inclined to think that way, but I am.

It's probably a 12 year 300 million dollar deal with a partial no trade clause that's heavily backloaded. Maybe even incentive-laden.

I can't imagine this team offering a real contract like that.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• If Stanton wants a short-term deal, give him 5/$135MM and see if he accepts. Pay him $20MM in 2015, $25MM in 2016, and then $30MM from 2017-1019.
                            --------------------
                            @Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Stanton deal under discussion with #Marlins is in range of 12 years/$320M. Reported last night that it was at least 10 years/$300M.
                            Twitter

Equals out to $26.6MM per year. I'm assuming it will be $20MM in 2015, $25MM in 2016, and $27.5MM from there on.
                            Last edited by Big Z; 11-14-2014, 06:44 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• 12 years $320 now according to Kenny Rosenthal

Comment

• My kids will get to see Giancarlo in a Marlins uniform. O_O

/Thinks the we tried conspiracy might have some truth to it

Comment

Working...
                                X