No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if it gets to $300, it's 12 years, probably closer to $315-320.

9/$253 and 10/$276 really work conceptually for me based on a ton of factors and past deals. Dumping two more on there at $20ish a pop kind of makes fiscal "sense."

Saying that, would be SHOCKED if Loria dishes out the largest contract of all time.

Because I mean, then he has to deal with Yelich, Alvarez, Fernandez, buy a SP, trade out Salty/Jones/Dunn/Eovaldi/Baker/Cishek for young guys to build with Stanton and go for it right?
    --------------------
    i.e., it's not just the bucks to Stanton, it's the bucks going to everyone else as why they paying him to not go for it?
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Mainge View Post
    If we're going to keep running a payroll in the $70 million range, I don't want him at 10/300 either, I don't think.

But maybe this means we're going into the ~$90-$100 million range.
    Would have to be that range, because let's assume 5 years from now Yelich is making $"12"ish on an arbitration buyout deal, and Fernandez is around the same. If Stanton is roughly $30, you're talking an easy $50+ million for the 3 big guys. Let's say $52 for obvious reason to follow. Throw in 15 club controlled guys $8 million total, and you're at 18 guys for $60 million, and if the other 7 are a variation of early arbitration (Alvarez, Eovaldi types), free agents like Jones, a Salty, Baker, and Dunn, that lot of 7 guys is easily going to cost another $25-40 depending on pedigree.

So yea, signing him means they have to roll out $90 million salaries once Stanton escalates and the 2nd and 3rd guys on the team become expensive in 3 years.

In case anyone is wondering, $90 million is still bottom 10 in baseball, but a respectable number the Mariners, Royals, and White Sox all spent this year.
    Last edited by lou; 11-13-2014, 05:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Wow. That'd be crazy.

And New Post isn't working for me as well Stopped working last night. I use it all the time.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

So in a day, the narrative goes from there being "zero chance Loria offers Stanton fair market value", to "he's so stupid for offering him that much money". Only on this board. I'm fairly certain there is nothing the Marlins could do at this point to please some people.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
          So in a day, the narrative goes from there being "zero chance Loria offers Stanton fair market value", to "he's so stupid for offering him that much money". Only on this board. I'm fairly certain there is nothing the Marlins could do at this point to please some people.
          I don't think it would be stupid, but it would be stupid if they kept payroll for the team annually at $60millionish. They'd just have to spend around him.

Comment

bob, nick, miamarlin, which new post button isn't working?
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              bob, nick, miamarlin, which new post button isn't working?
              The new post button next to the community and search buttons. Not working for me either.

Comment

The Marlins are hopeful Stanton will accept the deal, but there is no indication how seriously Stanton is considering it. Stanton’s agent, Joel Wolfe, has not responded to requests for comment in recent days.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy
                Miami Herald

If he rejects it, he's a moron. He should know by now how fast his career could end after the close call last year. Take the damn money and if you're unhappy a couple of years down the road, just ask for a trade.
                Last edited by Big Z; 11-13-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I see no way Stanton turns down that guaranteed money. No way.

Comment

What's happening for you guys when you click it?

Also, what happens if you click the "# unread posts" link in the top right?
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      I see no way Stanton turns down that guaranteed money. No way.
                      I agree. If $300 guaranteed is on the table no matter what the years, he takes it.

Comment

I wonder if this contract would be a precursor to him selling the team?

Here's my thoughts behind it....

We all know Loria is cheap and doesn't like to spend money, right? So, paying for a huge contract Stanton would get - whether one of the best players in the game or not - is not something Loria would normally do - we've seen it plenty of times before. Usually it's a trade him and get prospects situation. So why now? Why all of the sudden would he want to offer a huge contract? A potentially record-setting contract (from this afternoon's rumors)? He has no track record of this type of willingness to spend (aside from the lead-up to 2012, and we know how that turned out, and has obviously not earned the benefit of the doubt.

Could it simply be that even he realizes the team's public image is so bad that he knows if he doesn't do this, that absolutely nobody would show up, and he wouldn't make any more money? Possibly.

As I said before, what if this is a precursor to him selling the team? If I remember correctly, wasn't here a clause in the stadium contract that said if Loria sold before the end of the 2015 season (or whatever season it was a few years after the ballpark opened), that he'd have to pay a certain percentage of his profit to either the county or city? If that's true (I unfortunately can't find anything on it right now, but I remember reading about it years ago), perhaps he's been waiting the whole time just to avoid that penalty (again, since we know how cheap he is).....

Even regardless of that contract clause (if it doesn't exist), since we know he's cheap and would have to invest more to keep interest, perhaps he sees it coming and doesn't have an interest in that...

So, let's presume for a second that he's able to sign Stanton to a record -setting deal. If he were to sell the team, a key selling point to a potential new owner would be that despite being a huge one, they have the best player in baseball under contract for the next decade. On top of that, the current TV deal expires in 2020, and it's expected that the per-year value of the TV contract would go up a fair amount - another selling point to a new owner, along with, of course the new ballpark.

----

Now, all that is obviously a lot of speculation.....and it's plausible that Loria himself could simply be looking forward to the new TV deal and realizing that an increase there would help pay for this new contract down the road.

----

Anyway, those were just some thoughts I had on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          I wonder if this contract would be a precursor to him selling the team?

Here's my thoughts behind it....

We all know Loria is cheap and doesn't like to spend money, right? So, paying for a huge contract Stanton would get - whether one of the best players in the game or not - is not something Loria would normally do - we've seen it plenty of times before. Usually it's a trade him and get prospects situation. So why now? Why all of the sudden would he want to offer a huge contract? A potentially record-setting contract (from this afternoon's rumors)? He has no track record of this type of willingness to spend (aside from the lead-up to 2012, and we know how that turned out, and has obviously not earned the benefit of the doubt.

Could it simply be that even he realizes the team's public image is so bad that he knows if he doesn't do this, that absolutely nobody would show up, and he wouldn't make any more money? Possibly.

As I said before, what if this is a precursor to him selling the team? If I remember correctly, wasn't here a clause in the stadium contract that said if Loria sold before the end of the 2015 season (or whatever season it was a few years after the ballpark opened), that he'd have to pay a certain percentage of his profit to either the county or city? If that's true (I unfortunately can't find anything on it right now, but I remember reading about it years ago), perhaps he's been waiting the whole time just to avoid that penalty (again, since we know how cheap he is).....

Even regardless of that contract clause (if it doesn't exist), since we know he's cheap and would have to invest more to keep interest, perhaps he sees it coming and doesn't have an interest in that...

So, let's presume for a second that he's able to sign Stanton to a record -setting deal. If he were to sell the team, a key selling point to a potential new owner would be that despite being a huge one, they have the best player in baseball under contract for the next decade. On top of that, the current TV deal expires in 2020, and it's expected that the per-year value of the TV contract would go up a fair amount - another selling point to a new owner, along with, of course the new ballpark.

----

Now, all that is obviously a lot of speculation.....and it's plausible that Loria himself could simply be looking forward to the new TV deal and realizing that an increase there would help pay for this new contract down the road.

----

Anyway, those were just some thoughts I had on it.
                          $300 million is a liability on the books. I think it would hurt evaluation, even if it does get some bump at the gate.

I also think concerning your TV deal comment, the BIG domino for Loria is Tampa moving to San Antonio/Portland and the Marlins getting the central florida (and maybe state) media market, i.e. that tv contract quadruples in value which will drastically impact how much the Marlins are worth. Not sure a looming new contract in 5 years plays into this much unless Tampa Rays announces they are for sure moving (I think this is inevitability, and the Marlins move into the AL East, Rays NL Central, and Brewers NL East, but that's just speculation on my part when the domino of Tampa moving does fall).

As for paying the county, I think he owes like a $13-15 million payment if he sells early. i.e., chump change in a franchise sale so a relative non issue. Could be wrong though. I do know the Marlins are making a ton off not paying taxes on the parking garages because of lawyer fuck ups on city.

We'll see, interesting though.

Comment

It's kinda pathetic, but moving to AL East would increase our ticket sales by a ton due to former New Yorkers living in South Florida and snowbirds from New England/Ontario.

I'm all for keeping Stanton, but I'm afraid this means we're not keeping Fernandez long term because there's way we can afford both of their contracts unless they discover oil at Marlins Park.
                            Last edited by Chewford; 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I'd rather keep a hitter than a pitcher longterm anyway, gun to my head. Less breakdown, plus right now offense is down so much that a big time hitter is a huge asset. Cory Kluber just won a Cy Young Award, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                What's happening for you guys when you click it?

Also, what happens if you click the "# unread posts" link in the top right?
                                MK, when I click on the "# unread posts" it comes up blank. But on the main page, the threads are bold, meaning that there are new posts.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X