IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    They misunderstood "average salary probably in the $28 million-to-$30 million range" to mean "$28 to $30 million dollar total package"
    --------------------

They thought lifetime seats in the Clevelander would count toward his AAV
    --------------------
    They figured that they could pay him in shekels
    --------------------
    They intend to pay $25 million of his salary in the form of Ruby Tuesday gift cards
    Loria offered to build a Home Run sculpture in Stanton's backyard for his contract. Thing is, after it's built, Stanton owes Loria 5 free seasons of baseball.

Comment

@Joelsherman1: #Marlins Mike Hill acknowledged stars such as Stanton get no-trade clauses, so team will have to eliminate no-trade policy to keep long term
      Twitter

Dammit wrong thread.

Comment

PHOENIX -- Miami Marlins president Michael Hill was a popular man at the general managers meetings on Tuesday, when he had to answer some variation of the same question over and over.

What's going to happen with Giancarlo Stanton?

"I think we’ve been up front since last offseason that we weren’t trading him and we’re trying to build with him," Hill said. "And I think that message has ben received. Everyone knows he’s a Miami Marlin."

Hill said the Marlins have yet to receive one phone call from a major league team trying to pry Stanton away this offseason, though the Boston Herald reported that the Red Sox remain interested and will keep calling the Marlins until the phone breaks.

The Marlins have begun contract negotiations to extend their 25-year-old super star and the conversations have been "positive" regarding a long-term deal, Hill said.

While the Marlins would ideally like to lock up Stanton for many years, Hill admits it's fair to wonder how the low-budget Marlins would be able to afford anyone else if they paid Stanton what he was really worth ($30 million a year sound right?).

"And obviously if we’re going to go down that path we’re going to have the ability to put a competitive team around him," Hill said. "That’s obviously been a part of all our discussions and that’s the goal, to put a competitive team around him."

If the Marlins can't sign Stanton to a long-term deal, they still have to sign him to some kind of contract since he's currently eligible for arbitration. Either they'll negotiate his one-year salary and play it year-to-year during his three years of arbitration or sign him to a contract that takes care of that in advance.

How does this relate to the Red Sox? Hill has been asking himself that same question.

When told that every story about Stanton is a headline in Boston, too, Hill laughed.

"That means we have a good player," he said. "We’re happy we have a good player and people like our players. As I said Giancarlo Stanton is a Marlin and we’re going to do everything in our power to keep him as long as we can."
        http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index...miami_mar.html
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Translation:

he gone

Comment

"as long as we can" = until December. Hopefully it turns out better than the Miggy trade, but knowing our front office we'll probably do something dumb like trade him to the Yankees for Boca Raton.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Marlins Reportedly Prepared to Offer Stanton Record-breaking Deal

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...on-deal-111314

Would Giancarlo Stanton turn down the biggest contract in professional sports history?
              The Miami Marlins apparently intend to find out.
              The two sides are discussing a deal that would be for at least 10 years and at least $300 million, according to major-league sources.
              Stanton's representatives also have discussed shorter contracts with the Marlins, and the mere fact that the sides continue to talk is a sign of progress, sources say.
              Stanton's agent, Joel Wolfe, declined comment.
              "We're having continual dialogue," Marlins general manager Dan Jennings said. "I wouldn't say we're close to anything."
              The Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera currently holds the biggest contract in sports history -- 10 years, $292 million, a deal that began last season and runs through 2023.
              Stanton, 25, has questioned the commitment of Marlins ownership in the past, famously tweeting, "Alright I'm pissed off!!!" after the team traded several veterans to the Blue Jays in Nov. 2012.
              Circumstances, however, have changed.
              The Marlins are coming off an encouraging season in which they won 77 games, their most since 2010.
              Stanton, meanwhile, suffered a facial laceration requiring stitches, multiple facial fractures and dental damage after getting hit by a pitch on Sept. 11 -- season-ending injuries that might have persuaded him to reassess the risk of waiting for free agency.
              Finally, Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said this week that the team is willing to discuss a no-trade clause with Stanton, potentially reversing a longstanding club policy.
              The Marlins control Stanton for two more seasons before he reaches free agency. He is projected to earn $13 million in arbitration in 2015, according to a projection by Matt Swartz for MLBTradeRumors.com.
              A 10-year contract would cover Stanton's final two years of arbitration and eight years of free agency, keeping the outfielder under club control through age 34.
              Stanton led the National League with 37 homers, a .555 slugging percentage and 299 total bases last season, and was second to the Pirates' Andrew McCutchen with a .950 OPS.

soooooooo
              poop

Comment

He not gone?
                --------------------
                Barry Jackson @flasportsbuzz · 3m 3 minutes ago
                Fox reporting Marlins and Stanton have discussed 10 yr deal. I'm told sides also discussing deal even longer than 10 yrs,topping 300 M.
                https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/st...26103397740544
                Last edited by marlinsfan24; 11-13-2014, 04:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He gone

Comment

Holy shit

I don't even want him at 10/300
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Well, that's stupid.
                      poop

Comment

Well this is certainly something different.

He'd be frickin crazy to turn this down if this offer is actually true.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

If we're going to keep running a payroll in the $70 million range, I don't want him at 10/300 either, I don't think.

But maybe this means we're going into the ~$90-$100 million range.

Comment

Heyman reporting it could be 12 years, $300+
                            poop

Comment

Woah.

Comment

Yep
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X