No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it highly unlikely that conversation actually took place.

He's right, of course, but I doubt they told him that.

Comment

• Whether or not that conversation happened, it's obvious that that was the Marlins thinking when doing the deal. Either hope that Stanton opts out after 6 years or if he opts in pray to god a team like the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs with big bucks will trade for him and his outlandishly large contract.

All I know is it's four more years of Stanton than expected on team friendly terms early on. After that I have little qualms about Stanton living his dream and becoming a Dodger at 31. At that point we would've had him for his prime years anyway.

Honestly I'd be shocked if Stanton opts out of the deal given the magnitude of money. The Marlins will find some team to trade for his contract, or Loria will not be owner at that time. I don't think anybody should expect the current ownership and front office we see with the Marlins to still be here once the time for Stanton's opt out clause comes about.
      Last edited by dim; 12-14-2014, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• This thread is now the Jeffrey Loria completely ridiculous and yet hilarious quote anticipation station.

Comment

• Loria and Samson are too conservative to actually say something like this. Frank Connelly is a damn rat to be saying stuff like this if it is true.

Comment

• Even if you take the Pirates president at his word that this conversation took place, what difference does it make? After year 6, Stanton has all the control. He can either opt out of the deal or he gets all his money. If he wants a trade, he can control that too.

I find it hard to believe that this conversation went exactly the way that this guy said it did (Samson and Loria aren't new at this....I don't think they are going around telling other teams their future plans)...and if it did, this guy is a jerk for speaking publically about it. I assume this guy's job requires him to speak with other clubs all the time. Good luck with that if you are going to be going public with private conversations you have with other executives. My guess is we'll soon be getting a denial from the Marlins and a retraction from the Pirates shortly...
            Last edited by fauowls44; 12-14-2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
              Loria and Samson are too conservative to actually say something like this. Frank Connelly is a damn rat to be saying stuff like this if it is true.
              Really? Samson loves the sound of his own voice so much I could easily see him spouting off to people about this.

Comment

• Well, they did tell me the same thing in San Diego.

(No they didn't.)
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• even if they did say it when a shitty thing for Coonelly to do
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• It doesn't make any sense though. Why would they say that? They're married to him for six years anyway. It's up to Stanton whether that contract is a full thirteen, not the ownership group. There is a definite possibility that Loria and Co. may not even be around by 2020 anyway. So, what's the big deal here? He's here for at least six years--Loria has that the most.
                    Last edited by thatnewguy; 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Couldn't agree more, who cares? They got him in his prime for an absolute steal given how close he was to FA.

If the FO sign Yelich, Ozuna and Alvarez to extensions, and add another piece or two I think the offseason was a major success.

I honestly expect a Scott Olsen career for Heaney, his low velocity combined with no true out pitch seem like huge red flags. Just wish they had traded him prior to his awful MLB stint, could have gotten much more for him when he was still shiny. He may turn out to be great, but probably not in the next season possibly two.

Not sold on Gordon, but he will be both exciting and infuriating to watch. Love the Latos pickup, he was a sell low and don't think we gave up anything. The most pleasing thing about both moves is they are win now moves, like the Cosart move last year (which so far looks good).

I genuinely think this team is a contender for the first time in 4/5 years. Also all the talent is young and if the extensions are signed will give a good window to have a go given the rest of the division outside of the Nats are/should be rebuilding.

Comment

• They held the presser the day my daughter was born. All in all, one of the happiest days of my life.

Comment

• wait, I'm not the only Marlins fan in Columbus?

Comment

• apparently not, but fuck ohio state.

Comment

• Wait, I'm not the only new guy anymore?

Comment

• ThatNotSoNewGuy

Comment

Working...
                                X