Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade him.

Comment

• Stanton was at LIV Friday night and then he walked by the tailgate I was at yesterday. He looked like a man that got paid.

Comment

• So you're saying there's a chance?

Comment

• A chance that he gets traded after the all star break?

Comment

• Superstar outfielder Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins now have a deal in place for a record $325 million over a record 13 years, sources connected to the team say. That landmark contract keeps the beloved Stanton in Miami at least through his 20s and maybe until he’s 38, and brings credibility to a franchise that’s seemed cash-strapped and beleaguered at times but appears to be on the upswing now.

Stanton, 25, will receive a crucial early opt-out clause in addition to a no-trade provision, according to those sources. According to the terms of this deal, which is the largest in North American sports history -- eclipsing Miami product Alex Rodriguez’s $275-million Yankees contract -- Stanton will be able to opt out not long after he turns 30, giving him a chance to set a second contractual record, as A-Rod did at age 32, via his opt out seven years ago.

CBSSports.com last Friday reported the sides were on the verge of completing this record deal, and while there is still no official word from the team, and perhaps nothing’s been signed yet, there is a clear understanding the deal will be finalized and Stanton will remain a Marlin for at least the next five or six years. FOXSports.com first reported the sides were talking about a deal for $300 million or more.

The sides at one point last week were discussing a possible opt-out after six years, but it seemed likely it might have ended up being a five-year opt-out, giving him the ability to become a free agent at 30 (or 31 at the latest). Before landing at $325 million over 13 years, the sides also had been discussing a 12-year, $300-million deal.

A press conference to celebrate this shocker of a contract is expected to be held in the middle or later part of this coming week, perhaps Wednesday or Thursday.
            http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...t-out?v=1&vc=2

Comment

• For what it's worth, Stanton opting out after year 5 wouldn't be such a bad thing. I hope he does actually.

Comment

• Hitters peak at 30 so I'd rather still have Stanton at 31 (and maybe 32) but I mostly agree with you.

I mean, we really don't want Stanton leaving in his peak year, right?

Comment

• I mean, this is not a team friendly contract. This is a very, very player friendly contract. If he phones it in (which is doubtful but also possible), somehow forgets how to hit, or has a massive injury, we are fucked for a very long time.

The only reason to expect Stanton here for 13 years is if he's bad. There's no way he picks it up if he keeps this up.

This is a 5 year/$whatever contract while giving Stanton a shit load of insurance.

It's pretty cool to see the FO do something like that, to actually take a huge monetary risk. Stanton is definitely the kind of player you do that for.
                  --------------------
                  Like, I still really can't believe this is happening. I thought, without a shadow of a doubt, that he wasn't going to be here for more than a year. I think most people here were the same.
                  Last edited by nny; 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Pretty sure I was the only one who thought we'd sign him.

And I was only doing it to be that guy.

Comment

• Yup. I was convinced he gone.

If he doesn't sign this week and we hear nothing from either side I think we have to begin questioning these sources.

I will be ridiculously happy with 5 more years of Stanton and a continued shift in payroll that sends the Marlins into the playoffs during that time.

Their plan can't be sign Stanton but stop at that.

Comment

• I hate Jon Heyman, but his sources with the Marlins are good.

He's not tjfla.

Seen $90m payroll thrown around a few places in the last few days. Believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Fun fact:

Yelich, Stanton, and Ozuna would all become a FA at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                            Fun fact:

Yelich, Stanton, and Ozuna would all become a FA at the same time.
                            I think they resign Yelich this off-season. Ozuna is a Boras client and is going to hit free agency, for sure.

Comment

• @jonmorosi: The Giancarlo Stanton press conference will be Wednesday; 13-year contract is officially done.
                              @MartinoNYDN: Source tells Daily News: #Marlins Stanton deal done. Press conference wed 11am in Miami. Fulll no-trade, opt out after 6 years. 13/$325.
                              Twitter
                              Last edited by Big Z; 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• o.gifo.gifo.gifo.gifo.gifo.gif
                                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-17-2014, 02:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X