Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I already write for The Onion
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
      This is happening. Daft, just relax and let it happen.

of course it will happen

I mean, everything that Jeff Loria has ever done points to it not happening but

It's going to happen.

Comment

• Poor Daft.

Comment

• No, not poor me.

Poor anyone who thinks Loria is going to keep Stanton in South Florida for a very long time.

In the remote chance they sign Stanton, it will be heavily backloaded and he will be gone in year 5 or 6 of his 13 year contract. Book it.

Comment

• That seems like the best deal possible. Get rid of him and his giant contract before his decline.

Comment

• I feel like being upset he might only be here 5-6 more years when you thought he was only gonna be here 0-1 more is weird.

Comment

• The opt out will be after the 2019 season, which will be when he turns 30. So, really, this is a 5 year deal. If he hits like we want him to, he's gonna opt out and get more money anyway, even if he is satisfied with how the organization is being run.

Only way this deal sees 2020+ is if he is disappointing. Or unless the financial picture of MLB changes in an unexpected way.

Comment

• Hugg, Stanton being here for 5/6 more years would make me very happy.

There is a 24" x 38" picture of Stanton hitting a bomb vs the Cubs hanging in my boys room.

My 8 year old idolizes him and his eyes light up when he hits a home run.

But this organization has made me justifiably skeptical about every move they make.

I will believe this deal in year 4 of the deal. That's just the way it is for me.
                  --------------------
                  A kinda scary aspect of this is giving a guy (deservedly so) gobs of money when the last time he was in the batters box his face got crushed.
                  Last edited by Namaste; 11-14-2014, 11:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• This is a pretty cool both for both parties if a lot of this money is backloaded. The Marlins keep Stanton until 2019 and reverse of the trend of never locking up anyone (except that weird Hanley thing). Stanton gets to have assurance that no matter what, he's going to make an unimaginable amount of money in his career.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Yeah, I have no doubt he'll opt out but again - for another 5 years, so what?
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• 5 more years is significantly better than watching the Marlins trade away another all-star to cut down costs. I've been following this team for a long time and it gets sickening after a while watching the team trade promising players in their prime over and over again. Anytime we did sign players to big deals (Delgado, Hanley, Reyes), they were here for a year of that contract. It's nice to finally know that an established great player is guaranteed to stick around for at least 5 more years.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• My guess would be the financial terms are something like this:
                          2015: $13M
                          2016: $15M
                          2017: $17M
                          2018: $19M
                          2019: $21M

That's probably as backloaded as they can get it.

That would leave him with an 8-year $240M option, basically.

Comment

• I do think if the structure is something like that, it does decrease the chances he opts out for any reason other than disillusionment with the way the franchise is run which, from all accounts, is why the opt-out is there to begin with. Really hard to say for sure what contracts are going to look like come 2019, but 8/$240 would still be hard to top most likely.

The huge increase in tv money could cause that to not be the case, but it's hard to say for sure.
                            --------------------
                            They've got 2-3 years to make smart moves and build up goodwill to try to prepare for when they have to trade Fernandez.

The only slight hope they have of keeping Jose is that he's under club control until after our current tv deal expires. But, I just don't see it happening.
                            Last edited by HUGG; 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Imagine if Loria wasn't a boob and he offered Stanton a 10 year deal 2 years ago?

You'd hope that payroll will be $110 million ish in 2016, right? They've got to be thinking deep playoff run in 2016?

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X