No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if this is all premeditated for Stanton to "fail" a physical and then be traded to the Dodgers?

Comment

• Honestly Jose seems the type that might favor placement over money. He really seems to love Miami and the whole Marlins organization and he might tell Boras it's here or I go with a new agent. Never know.

Also, what bobbob said (which I mentioned earlier I believe, if it wasn't in a facebook chat with matthugg). I prefer hitters to pitchers. We were all clamoring to D-Train to get locked up after his second year too.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• "Bobbob."

But you don't hire Boras to tell him not to try to get as much money as possible.

Comment

• I am speechless

But interested in seeing when the opt out is and how much the Marlins have paid him to date. Maybe it's really a 4-5 year deal for X, and it's an obvious opt out to cash in if he's healthy and killing it.

But still, unreal

Comment

• The fact that Omar Kelly thinks it's a bad deal convinces me it's the smartest thing they could possibly do.
            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
              That 2 weeks thing will piss all us off forever and even moreso when we get closer to 2019.
              It's absolutely absurd. Unless they are able to sign him.

There is really no reason for him not to sign a 5 year deal after 2015 though. His arb tender is going to be low (look at Strausburg, under $4), so if the Marlins are competitive about it, that plus already one arm surgery is some leverage. Even if he is ace-tastic, he's probably only pricing himself around $30-35 million in arbitration. If the Marlins dumped another $25 on that, really no reason to not do a 5/$55, option 6 for $18 type deal. That's higher than Bumgarner who is the top comp now I believe. Still a free agent in prime and obviously a north of $70 million deal for a 23 year old pitcher with a TJ is quite excellent.

Honestly don't see major issues with him. Just get healthy, kill people in August and September, figure out the reasonable comp and make it happen. Greater minds tend to prevail in these situations. If the Marlins also have Stanton, Yelich, Alvarez, a good veteran SP locked up, and years of control of Ozuna, Cosart, Heaney, etc. left, why wouldn't he want to be here either?

Pretty exciting. Maybe its going to be for real this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                The fact that Omar Kelly thinks it's a bad deal convinces me it's the smartest thing they could possibly do.
                Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly
                I can't find one possible hole in Legedu Naanee's game, and believe me, I've looked. Maybe all that's left is durability concerns.
                Who cares what this guy thinks

Comment

• Holy fuck. Is this real life right now?

The Marlins didn't just lock a young star with a NTC for the first time, but they locked him up forever with for more money than anyone has ever offered a single person for being good with hitting balls.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewford View Post
                    Holy fuck. Is this real life right now?

The Marlins didn't just lock a young star with a NTC for the first time, but they locked him up forever with for more money than anyone has ever offered a single person for being good with hitting balls.
                    It's more money than Loria paid the team 2010-2014.

5 seasons.

Comment

• HE AINT GONE
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        It's more money than Loria paid the team 2010-2014.

5 seasons.
                        That's it? I expected more seasons haha.....

Guess that $100MM 2012 helped skew that figure.

Comment

• The longer this goes on, the less likely I think it is to happen.

Comment

• "Marlins set to offer Stanton record breaking contract; plan to attempt revolutionary one-man roster from 2015 to 2026"
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• HA!

Comment

• Todd, if the Congress thing doesn't work out, maybe you could write for The Onion.

Comment

Working...
                                X