Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Rosenthal: Coghlan for ROY

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...ig-second-half

Chris Coghlan, National League Rookie of the Year.

Who? What?

Coghlan, the Marlins' left fielder, isn't as well-known a rookie as Phillies left-hander J.A. Happ or Braves righty Tommy Hanson, but he should be.

In August, he became only the second National League rookie in the last 60 years to produce 47 or more hits in a month; Wally Moon had 52 in July 1954.

For all the talk about American League Most Valuable Player, the races for the two rookie awards are far more competitive, featuring numerous candidates in each league.

Coghlan, 24, is third in the N.L. in batting with a .376 average since the All-Star break. He has a higher on-base/slugging percentage than Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen and Rockies center fielder Dexter Fowler, the latter of whom has not played since Aug. 24 because of a bruised right knee. Brewers third baseman Casey McGehee is closer to Coghlan in OPS but has nearly 150 fewer plate appearances.

Among pitchers, Happ rates the edge over Hanson and Cubs righty Randy Wells — he is 10-4 with a 2.77 ERA, while Hanson is 9-3 with a 3.02 ERA and Wells 10-8 with a 2.84 ERA. Happ also had pitched more innings than both before missing his start Monday with a strained side muscle — 56 more innings than Hanson.

The question then becomes, pitcher or position player?

Well, a position player contributes every day, and the Marlins became a better team after Coghlan took over in the leadoff spot on May 30, working counts, getting on base.

Advanced defensive metrics indicate that Coghlan is below-average in left. However, he has made steady improvement after playing the position only once in the minors. The Marlins no longer are certain they will move him back to the infield at second or third next season.

One thing seems clear: The emergences of Coghlan and infielder Emilio Bonifacio have put the Marlins in better position to trade second baseman Dan Uggla and outfielder Jeremy Hermida this offseason

Bonifacio has not proven he is a long-term answer; his OPS is the second-lowest in the NL. Still, he could end up at second next season with Coghlan moving to third. Or, Coghlan could stay in left, with Cameron Maybin playing center and Cody Ross right.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If they keep Bonifacio in a starting role, I will suicide bomb the front office.

Note: All my previous threats of suicide bombing to this point have been hyperbole. In this instance, however, I am quite serious.

Comment

Bonifacio's certainly emerged this season hasn't he?

Comment

I don't mind keeping him as a starting 2B if we replace the power, his defense is plus as advertised, and he hits eighth or ninth and not leadoff or second.
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            ¿Bonifacio's certainly emerged this season hasn't he?
            Please don't make that mistake again.

(You forgot your little upside down question mark thing)

(Oh, and that comment made me lol)

Comment

God damn it all.

Comment

I really want to know what goes through the mind of our front office because it's a general consensus among Marlins fans that CC should be in the infield and Boner shouldn't smell the field yet more and more comes out that proves otherwise.

Comment

So we're going to trade an elite 2B and replace him with a complete piece of mediocrity of a baseball player because he is fast, flirts with the crowd and has heart.

GOOD IDEA BEINFEST AND COMPANY

GENIUSES!

Comment

As long as Boner plays plus defense at second and bats 8th it wouldn't be a problem as long as something of value comes back from trading uggla

Comment

No, it would be a huge fucking problem.

You don't trade one of the few guys we have that hits like he belongs on a corner to bring in another punch and judy. Yes, every lineup needs someone who hits 8th, but so long as we'll trot out a collection of 6 hole hitters, we can't just "hide" a guy 8th.

In terms of qualified NL batters we have three players who produce an above average OPS relative to their position (Hanley, Uggla, Coghlan) and one (Cody) who is basically right at the average for qualified national league OF's. You tell me that lineup can afford to take the hit of ditching Uggla for Emilio Bonifacio.

Going from Uggla to Coghlan is a miraculous idea. You replace a guy who slugs like a corner OF with a guy who on bases like a corner OF, sign me up, that's great, and given our limited resources a relatively well thought out idea. Going from a guy who slugs like a corner OF to a guy who just makes a hell of a lot of outs, even though he runs fast, is fucking stupid and emblematic of the Beinfest era.
                      Last edited by Swifty; 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Marlins Baseball: Winning in spite of the front office and the manager since (whenever you feel this began)

PS... this article doesn't do much for Coghlan's ROY campaign... it's like Rosenthal doesn't even believe the things he is typing

Comment

Swift

the term is "Punch and Judy"

Comment

All semantics aside, the point still stands, it's a horrible fucking idea.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGcIwCSCjg[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X