This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olney has a piece up about Shields and the Padres with this:

Folks with other teams wouldn't be surprised if San Diego lands Shields for something in the range of $50 million to $60 million over three years, with some sort of vesting option.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...post/_/id/9363

Absolutely fucking bonkers if we won't find a way to match/best that deal. Come on. He'd come off the books right as Stanton gets expensive.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      Olney has a piece up about Shields and the Padres with this:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...post/_/id/9363

Absolutely fucking bonkers if we won't find a way to match/best that deal. Come on. He'd come off the books right as Stanton gets expensive.
      Exactly, 3 for 65-70 and mutual option(s) should be on the table because we're serious about winning. I'm beginning to get the feeling a lot of us will be peeved when his contract with SD is announced if we didn't have a better offer on the table.

Comment

• Like, if he goes to SD because he's from around there and wants to be there (like Wilson did in Anaheim), fine, I get it. But if we didn't want to pony up $20M for THREE seasons after so many seasons in the bottom 5 of payrolls, that's awful.
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Marlins and Mike Dunn agree to a two-year, $5.8 million deal, avoiding arbitration.
          --------------------
          Dunn will make $2.35 million in 2015 and $3.45 million in 2016.
          Last edited by Miamarlin21; 02-08-2015, 07:17 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• fuckin seriously? they'll pay Mike Dunn for two years and not use the money for Shields? And since when do they negotiate leading up to arbitration? I thought if they didn't get it done once numbers were set in stone they didn't negotiate anymore, wasn't that team policy?
            --------------------
            we're going to have what, $12 million tied up in Crow, Cishek, and Dunn despite having 5-6 pitchers at AAA who are major league caliber relievers?
            Last edited by emkayseven; 02-08-2015, 07:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              fuckin seriously? they'll pay Mike Dunn for two years and not use the money for Shields? And since when do they negotiate leading up to arbitration? I thought if they didn't get it done once numbers were set in stone they didn't negotiate anymore, wasn't that team policy?
              --------------------
              we're going to have what, $12 million tied up in Crow, Cishek, and Dunn despite having 5-6 pitchers at AAA who are major league caliber relievers?
              Maybe they don't have the same policy (or are at least more flexible with it) now that Hill and Jennings are in charge?

Comment

• They also said they would never give a no-trade clause.

Also, the first year salary is what the Marlins offered.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• 15% of our payroll is locked up in 3 relievers. Think about that. Fucking sign James Shields already
                  --------------------
                  Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7m7 minutes ago
                  Source: #Padres' most recent offer to James Shields was four years and between $72 million and $80 million.
                  Last edited by emkayseven; 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'm fine with the Dunn deal. What a weird thing to get mad about.

Comment

• Well, we did trade a lot of our mlb-ready lefty arms (Heaney, Jennings, Flynn) and Dunn is pretty damn good (8th in WAR past two years out of lefty relievers, 32nd overall [Cishek is 8th overall]).

Not that I disagree with your point of why are we paying relievers instead of other areas of need, but an actual MLB franchise should also be keeping young, productive arms

Comment

• Yes. The Dunn signing is awesome in a vacuum. I love that we're keeping good, young, solid players.

Not when we insist we have to have a $60-65 million payroll and pay 3 relievers 15% of that while we have 10 solid relievers on our 40 man.

A team that spends real money should make these moves.

A team that cries poor and has other more glaring areas of need should not.

Comment

• It's $6m over 2 years. It's a perfectly fine deal.

But we coulda used the money to sign a guy who is just gonna take every offer we make to the Padres and ask them to match it!

Comment

• I don't know why you don't give Dunn 3-4 years really and lock down free agency years. A bit weird to just buyout an arbitration year. Not sure how Dunn would kill them in arb next year if he has a great year. Seems unnecessary, but it's fine cash wise so who cares. Not a big deal. Maybe he is more attractive in a trade knowing what next years salary is going to be.

Marlins can afford 4/$80 if that is the deal. Go to $84-88 and seal it, trade Haren and Cishek.
                            --------------------
                            I don't get the K-Rod thing at all, unless the idea is he comes in at Cishek or lower price and they trade Cishek for whatever, thus cost neutral, doesn't impact pen makeup, and get a player for Cishek so it's an across the board upgrade.
                            Last edited by lou; 02-08-2015, 08:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• The K-Rod thing is that Frisaro is a moron.

It's impressive a baseball beat writer is that dumb.

Comment

• no way lou, we can't support an $80m payroll

Comment

Working...
                                X