Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative: push it past $80 because you're a fucking major league franchise
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      alternative: push it past $80 because you're a fucking major league franchise
      Loria is still searching under the couch cushions for a few more pennies.

Comment

• They've had zero chance at Shields like 7 different times.

I'm saying there's a chance.

Comment

• They say Padres favorite for Shields. Which I still think might work for the Marlins.

The Padres would have a lot of dead money and need to clear some payroll.

I would love to see the Marlins do something like (assuming Shields to padres) send Haren, Dietrich (they need a lefty infielder badly for 2B/SS/3B, he is perfect for them and obviously Loria hates him), and maybe some secondary relievers like Dyson/whoever over for Kennedy (last year of deal), and some of Maybin (2/$16), Quentin (1/$8), and Venable (1/$4.25). Maybin makes a lot of sense for them to purely dump immediately. Maybe other players are involved, but this would result in a net gain of $16 million to Marlins payroll and a savings of Padres in the same amount. Which is huge for them. Huge.

The idea is, then trade Maybin to whoever and send over $10 million (surely, someone takes a chance on Maybin for 2/$6), so effectively Kennedy is being paid 1/$20 and the Marlins have "Mike Hamptoned" it with Maybin's contract. If the Marlins are willing to pay Shields that amount (just not the years Shields want), just be creative about it for 2015. If all that costs is Dietrich/Relievers (which I find likely would interest SD, doesn't hurt Marlins bottom line much, and the Marlins get a compensation pick for Kennedy more than likely), huge win right? Kennedy isn't shields, but he's pretty good and in a contract year.

And if Latos or Kennedy are great, Shields isn't on the books so they could afford 1 of them on a 3-4 year deal.

Anyways. Looking forward to being disappointed.
          --------------------
          This is also assuming Haren isn't going to play and is showing up to ST just to try and get sent out West
          Last edited by lou; 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• But this brings us back to the larger issue of the fact that the team is claiming they're going all in right now while GS is still cheap, but is unwilling to pony up the extra $15-16 million per year it would take right now to get these team over the hump in the National League. It's not like this will put payroll over the $100 million mark, which (let's be real here) is about what you need to be a reasonable franchise in this day-and-age anyway. This will put payroll at about $88 million, with only $75 coming out of Loria's pockets. That's still bottom-5 and that's without trading Cishek, Dietrich, Dunn and others for parts.

It's really simple. You want to show us that you really are all in? You lost the benefit of the doubt and Stanton's contract isn't enough. Trading blue chips for meh players isn't enough and, frankly, the Latos and Morse moves (while good) are simply just not enough. Go out there and sign James Shields dammit and then win your fucking pennant.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
              But this brings us back to the larger issue of the fact that the team is claiming they're going all in right now while GS is still cheap, but is unwilling to pony up the extra $15-16 million per year it would take right now to get these team over the hump in the National League. It's not like this will put payroll over the $100 million mark, which (let's be real here) is about what you need to be a reasonable franchise in this day-and-age anyway. This will put payroll at about $88 million, with only $75 coming out of Loria's pockets. That's still bottom-5 and that's without trading Cishek, Dietrich, Dunn and others for parts.

It's really simple. You want to show us that you really are all in? You lost the benefit of the doubt and Stanton's contract isn't enough. Trading blue chips for meh players isn't enough and, frankly, the Latos and Morse moves (while good) are simply just not enough. Go out there and sign James Shields dammit and then win your fucking pennant.
              What bothers me with the Marlins plan to get to $100M is that by the time they get there, other teams will be biting into the tv revenue money as well. A $100M payroll could likely be a bottom 7-8 payroll by that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                What bothers me with the Marlins plan to get to $100M is that by the time they get there, other teams will be biting into the tv revenue money as well. A $100M payroll could likely be a bottom 7-8 payroll by that time.
                Bubububu it's a $100M payroll! The magic number!

In seriousness, you're likely right.

Comment

• I mean, $100m is pretty much there already

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                    I mean, $100m is pretty much there already

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
                    Look at our spending compared to our division. Once the Braves move into their new stadium, they'll probably be a lot higher as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                      But this brings us back to the larger issue of the fact that the team is claiming they're going all in right now while GS is still cheap, but is unwilling to pony up the extra $15-16 million per year it would take right now to get these team over the hump in the National League. It's not like this will put payroll over the $100 million mark, which (let's be real here) is about what you need to be a reasonable franchise in this day-and-age anyway. This will put payroll at about $88 million, with only $75 coming out of Loria's pockets. That's still bottom-5 and that's without trading Cishek, Dietrich, Dunn and others for parts.

Then if James Shields posts a 4.50 ERA and we miss the playoffs, everyone will be complaining about what a terrible contract it was and how stupid the front office is for giving Shields $80 million.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      Look at our spending compared to our division. Once the Braves move into their new stadium, they'll probably be a lot higher as well.
                      Yeah. All of that money the Phillies and Mets have handed out over the years was really well-spent.

Just because you "spend" doesn't mean you are doing it right. Not saying that Loria isn't cheap, but using the rest of teams in the division as benchmarks is short-sighted. Would you rather have our roster or Philadelphia's?
                      Last edited by Valid; 02-07-2015, 09:41 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                        Then if James Shields posts a 4.50 ERA and we miss the playoffs, everyone will be complaining about what a terrible contract it was and how stupid the front office is for giving Shields $80 million.
                        --------------------

Yeah. All of that money the Phillies and Mets have handed out over the years was really well-spent.

Just because you "spend" doesn't mean you are doing it right. Not saying that Loria isn't cheap, but using the rest of teams in the division as benchmarks is short-sighted. Would you rather have our roster or Philadelphia's?
                        I would applaud them for going for it.

And this team couldn't get to the Philly's present hell because no one else (Fernandez, Yelich, Ozuna) is becoming ludicrous expensive for 3 seasons minimum. By that time, Shields deal is basically done assuming 4 years is the magic number.

They can afford this "risk" and not have it impact the bottom line.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I would applaud them for going for it.

And this team couldn't get to the Philly's present hell because no one else (Fernandez, Yelich, Ozuna) is becoming ludicrous expensive for 3 seasons minimum. By that time, Shields deal is basically done assuming 4 years is the magic number.

They can afford this "risk" and not have it impact the bottom line.
                          I wasn't necessarily comparing players on this team to Philly's present hell. My point was that saying "look at how much the rest of the division is spending!" is silly.

And how sure are we that this team can afford the financial risk? A four-year, $80 million deal isn't the same with the Marlins as it is for the Yankees. If Shields bombs, it is absolutely going to make things dicey.

I am fully in the "get Shields" camp, but if the FO doesn't want to pay $20 million a year over four seasons for a 33-year-old pitcher, I am not going to get too upset.

You may applaud them for going for it, but you know that the media and members of this forum are not going to use hindsight if that potential situation arises.
                          Last edited by Valid; 02-07-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                            I wasn't necessarily comparing players on this team to Philly's present hell. My point was that saying "look at how much the rest of the division is spending!" is silly.

And how sure are we that this team can afford the financial risk? A four-year, $80 million deal isn't the same with the Marlins as it is for the Yankees. If Shields bombs, it is absolutely going to make things dicey.

I am fully in the "get Shields" camp, but if the FO doesn't want to pay $20 million a year over four seasons for a 33-year-old pitcher, I am not going to get too upset.

You may applaud them for going for it, but you know that the media and members of this forum are not going to use hindsight if that potential situation arises.
                            I don't think it'll make things dicey payroll wise until year 4 when Stanton jumps to $25 and Fernandez is in Arb3 (assuming no buyout). It'll be a $115+ payroll at that point (but that is also with devoting significant money to Hech/Gordon which could likely be shed, and assuming no one from Fernandez, Yelich, Ozuna, Cosart, whoever, is bought out which some surely will). That may be pushing, but still manageable.

Next three years, they could easily run $80-95 payrolls with Shields. For this season, they would just have to ditch half of Haren's payroll and Cishek. Neither of those are a big stretch to me.

You got to go for it with the Phillies and Braves looking really bad and acquiring a bunch of 1-2 year veterans with Morse, Prado, Latos, Ichiro (and clearing out farm to do it). If Shields sucks, I'll be disappointed but not mad. I'll be mad if the 3-4-5 opening the season is Cosart, Koehler, and Hand/Phelps.

Comment

• "According to Scott Miller of Bleacher Report, James Shields and the Padres are believed to be at an impasse after several hours of negotiations.
                              Miller notes that the ball is now believed to be in Shields' court, indicating that the Padres have made their best and final offer. The veteran right-hander's market has been very slow to develop this winter, so he may need to lower his expectations and salary demands slightly."
                              Rotoworld blurb

----

Hard to take these reports seriously, but good. Come on Jeffrey. You don't spend $325 million on one guy and go into spring training a player short.

Comment

• That makes it sound like Shields still wants 5 years and that ridiculous $100+ million deal imo. If the Padres top offer isn't good enough, the Marlins best offer definitely won't be enough.

Our only chance at Shields was if everybody else backed off and we were his last hope. That doesn't look like its going to happen. If it's 4 or 5 years, I say go ahead and pitch in San Diego. I don't want Shields that long anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X