Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that James Shields has "multiple offers in hand" and is expected to sign by the end of this week.
    Spring training is just around the corner, so things are finally picking up steam on the Shields front. The Cardinals are reportedly a new entrant into the Shields sweepstakes, and the Yankees may or may not be involved, as well. The Marlins, Padres and Blue Jays have also been connected to the veteran right-hander. Shields' price reportedly has dropped to the point that he might have to settle for a four-year deal in the $70-80 million range.
    Rotoworld blurb via Fox.

----

At least this will be decided soon. Hope.

Comment

• "Yankees may or may not be involved..."

I've never understood what that's supposed to mean. Isn't everything uncertain "may OR may not"? That's basically not saying anything. They may be involved, or they may not be involved. Great!

Sorry, just a peeve of mine. It's annoying when reporters say that.

In any event, it's surprising to see how long Shields has held out. There doesn't really seem to be a "run" on him right now (which is why that Yankees report seems suspect - probably Shield's agent trying to light a fire). But ultimately I suppose he still has time. I agree that it shouldn't matter whether we trade Cishek if we really want Shields. Why can't we keep both and have possibly the best pitching staff in baseball?
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Wish we were in on this Moncada cat.

Comment

• Two more Cubans supposedly defected during the caribbean series - a 30 year old ss and 19 year old sp who won ROY in the 13-14 season

We aren't linked to them yet but you know we will be linked to the pitcher (and then we'll be out because of the money)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rrez/22836253/
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Frisaro confirming Marlins are still in the Shields sweepstakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              Frisaro confirming Marlins are still in the Shields sweepstakes.
              Good

Do it

Comment

• Seems like the Marlins are the only confirmed team in right now.

Comment

• The Pirates have acquired right-handed reliever Arquimedes Caminero from the Marlins in exchange for cash, Pittsburgh announced. Caminero had been designated for assignment by Miami.
                  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...m-marlins.html

Look!...cash to pay Shields with!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Every dollar counts!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                      Every dollar counts!
                      I can see Loria counting pennies...."guys, only 10 more pennies and Shields is all ours."

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                        I can see Loria counting pennies...."guys, only 10 more pennies and Shields is all ours."
                        LOL
                        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Sell Brad Hand for a $1.85

Comment

• Marlins win Latos arb hearing.

Another $1 million they can chuck at Shields.

Comment

• While the Marlins have closely monitored the James Shields situation, multiple sources have told me they don't expect to sign the free agent pitcher, with one assessing the team's chances at "zero percent."

With Dan Haren expected to report to spring training (the Marlins have been unsuccessful in fulfilling his request for a trade to a West Coast team), the team's 2015 payroll will exceed the projected budget figure of $65 million. Acquiring Shields would push it well past $80 million.

Shields is expected to announce a decision within the coming days.
                              http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Wouldn't push it past $80 trading Haren and Cishek.

Comment

Working...
                                X