Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how many wins does the Mad Max DC signing cost the Marlins?

I'm guessing 2?

Lou? nny? Juanky?

Comment

• Hard to project how many wins an opposing player costs the Marlins. Scherzer costing the Marlins two games seems like a lot, as the difference between Scherzer and Roark (their 5th SP being pushed out) likely isn't much.

Think it's more about the Nationals having crazier depth, whether they keep all the SP or turn one of them into another bat who will likely immediately contribute. They are deep and even with a big injury or two, are probably still a 90+ win team and smoke the division. Their next man up is going to be good nearly everywhere, especially with trade potential in the summer. It's hard to call teams playoff locks in baseball, but this is as close to a lock playoff team I think I have ever seen given their depth and division.

Saying that, the Marlins still have a great opportunity for the wild card and shit does happen. They need to say fuck it, and believe that Fernandez beats anyone in a wild card play in, and Shields, Latos, and Alvarez are more than a sufficient 2-4 to take over playoff games and win.

Hate to be a record player, but they just need one more above average player and it's infuriating with how low payroll is they aren't really going for it. Shields is perfect on anything less than 4/$100 based on a reasonable 4 year salary projection for the whole team, and I have to imagine that Shields number could be $15-20 million lower over those years. Marlins version of the Jayson Werth contract. Do it. You don't give $325 million dollar contract to 1 player and leave the team 1 guy short.

Comment

• I see them doing this:

No Shields because lol moniez and then if they're in contention at the deadline they add a piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          I see them doing this:

No Shields because lol moniez and then if they're in contention at the deadline they add a piece.
          Problem is they don't have a lot to trade at the deadline. That farm system is bad.

Comment

• "a piece" = 6th inning reliever or backup 1B

get with it dude
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• My b. Bowden tweeted the Marlins are still monitoring the market for Shields, so they are probably officially out now.

Comment

• They were talking about it on MLB Network Radio today and saying that the only teams that seem to have reasonable interest in Shields now are the Marlins and Arizona. That seems ridiculous to me, especially considering everything we've heard. But if the market really is that dry and we get into February, we could get a Kyle Loshe-type situation. Obviously, it would be for way WAY more money--but I think the longer Shields remains unsigned, the better chance the Marlins have to get him.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                  They were talking about it on MLB Network Radio today and saying that the only teams that seem to have reasonable interest in Shields now are the Marlins and Arizona. That seems ridiculous to me, especially considering everything we've heard. But if the market really is that dry and we get into February, we could get a Kyle Loshe-type situation. Obviously, it would be for way WAY more money--but I think the longer Shields remains unsigned, the better chance the Marlins have to get him.
                  Arizona has said they're out on Shields now. Though, I suppose like the Marlins, their interest might increase again if he remains unsigned/the price comes down.

Comment

• So, guys, I'm not really clear on this...does Lou think we should sign James Shields?

Comment

• I know. I'm sorry. I have a problem.

Comment

• So what teams are still in on Shields?

Comment

• FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are "still discussing" James Shields.
                          It appears that the Marlins' front office wants Shields, but Rosenthal says they need to convince owner Jeffrey Loria it's an investment worth making. Those talks are "ongoing," Rosenthal notes. Shields is said to prefer the West Coast and is shooting for a five-year, $125 million contract, but some executives believe he might have to wind up settling for a four-year deal in the $70-80 million range.
                          Rotoworld blurb.

Seriously 4/$80-90 range is amazing

Comment

• Well the Marlins have been discussing in the FO about a 4/70-75 offer but that is all they are willing to spend AND if they did make him that offer they would like to trade Cishek to save even more cash

Milwaukee called on Cishek but the offer was terrible,looks like they moved on. Toronto has called but seems they are more interested in what Baltimore wants for Duquette. Houston had called but who the hell knows what they are doing?

The issue with Cishek seems to be teams know that we wanna deal him(even tho the FO has said NO) and that his salary number will only go up so they are trying to lowball us on him. The FO on the other hand is pushing him as better and cheaper than Robertson and reportedly are asking for 3 prospects(2 mid to TOP)

The money stuff is laughable tho-don't forget we also lose our #1 Pick(3-4 million dollars) if we sign Shields. So Loria wants to offer like 4/70 and get back 10 million(Cishek/#1 Pick Gone) this year

Comment

• Just pay the guy.

Who cares, even if you have to overpay? Does this team even have a bad contract right now? Even if the money is somewhat unjustifiable, you could make a case that this team is a James Shields away from being a legitimate contender. The team doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses and the division sucks. Go for it.

Comment

• As for Haren who knows? If he is willing to go to Seattle or Colorado he is prolly there around ST.

They have tried getting him to stay but he only has committed thru ST(Pretty much just to stay sharp in case a team calls) and the teams he wants to play for-LAA,LAD,SD,SF have shown 0 interest

Comment

Working...
                                X