Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They signed Tyler Colvin MiLB deal. Cool depth signing.

Hopefully he has some 2010/2012 in him still (38 HR over 900+ PA)

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      They signed Tyler Colvin MiLB deal. Cool depth signing.

Hopefully he has some 2010/2012 in him still (38 HR over 900+ PA)
      Seems to be what the 4th OF spot will look like-Colvin,2 or 3 more MilB deal,Wates,Keys,Kenny Wilson

Whoever plays the best will get the job(They prefer it to be a LHB)

Comment

• Colvin is an interesting option. Not sure he's the target for the 4th OF spot. They could be aiming a bit higher, but Colvin isn't a terrible fall back plan. He's battled injuries, but he can hit.
        Last edited by fauowls44; 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Fourth outfield search wide open
          MIAMI — All options remain in play for the Marlins in their search for a fourth outfielder. There are at least four candidates, and no clear frontrunner.

Free agents Nate Schierholtz and Ichiro Suzuki definitely are in the mix. But the list is deeper than these two.

The organization is pretty much exploring several left-handed hitters to handle backup outfield and pinch-hit roles. Andy Dirks, non-tendered by Detroit, and Will Venable of the Padres, in his final season of arbitration, also have drawn attention.

Schierholtz is an ideal fit because he is accustomed to the role. He’s solid defensively, and an accomplished pinch-hitter. When it is all said and done, he may be the choice.

Ichiro, of course, is the flashy name. It’s still hard to imagine that the 41-year-old, who is 156 hits shy of 3,000, would accept a National League bench role. The American League, with the DH, would give him more chances for playing time.

Miami’s outfield also is set with Christian Yelich in left, Marcell Ozuna in center and Giancarlo Stanton in right. The Marlins feel that trio is as good as any in the National League.

Still, injuries happen. And an established veteran like Suzuki is attractive.

The fact the Marlins continue to consider the 41-year-old shows they may have something creative in mind.

Perhaps the club is entertaining Ichiro also playing more than just three outfield spots. Could some first base be a consideration? Suzuki has never played first in the big leagues, and I have not gotten confirmation that is part of the club’s thinking. But if it were, it would help make more sense in luring the former All-Star to South Florida.

Free agent pickup, Michael Morse, will be the regular first baseman. But depth at the position is needed. Ichiro could get on the field more if he shows he can adjust to the spot.

Miami infield coach Perry Hill, regarded as one of the best in the business, could greatly help with the transition.

Justin Bour, a left-handed hitter, has a chance to make the Opening Day roster as a backup first baseman and pinch-hitter. But it may not be an ideal situation to have a promising young player sitting on the bench in the big leagues over playing regularly at Triple-A.

We’ll likely get more clarity on the fourth outfield situation in the next week or two.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2015/0...rch-wide-open/
          Venable would certainly be a Haren included type deal.

Comment

• Ichiro at 1B!

Comment

• @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Dan Haren plans to report to spring training with #Marlins.

Comment

• that was predictable

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                  that was predictable
                  Do you even want this guy around who doesn't show up to a player introduction?

Comment

• I mean we're paying nothing basically. If he's a problem we can send him home. I'd still rather we traded him, but I never believed he'd sit out.

Comment

I mean we're paying nothing basically. If he's a problem we can send him home. I'd still rather we traded him, but I never believed he'd sit out.
                      And not surprisingly he's still hoping for a trade.

Comment

I mean we're paying nothing basically. If he's a problem we can send him home. I'd still rather we traded him, but I never believed he'd sit out.
                        I view it as, he is holding up $10 million which can be devoted elsewhere. I don't think we should view him as free just because they got money from LAD. That's an asset they still need to maximize, and not sure Haren is worth 1/8th the payroll.

Comment

• Again, Koehler is better and I view Haren and Hand/Phelps as equal. Haren is just a name and "veteran presence/200 IP" at this point. Move him for anything.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• They'll trade him. He's not free. Yes dodgers paid our organization his salary but that just goes into the pot of money Loria has/willing to spend. We still have to pay him out of that pot, so he's not "free." The trade we made with the Dodgers was essentially an art sale for Loria. Haren pitching for us means we have to spend money on an overvalued player who doesn't even want to be here. I really hope we trade him or he retires, even it means the money isn't spent on something else right now.
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Funny thing about trades is the other team has to want to acquire the thing you're trading.

It's one thing to acquire Dan Haren when the team you acquired him paid his entire salary. It's another thing to acquire him when you're gonna be paying him $10m.
                              Last edited by HUGG; 01-12-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• I'd think they'd have to cover at least a portion of his salary to trade him, unless they plan on getting a bag of peanuts back....which wouldn't really surprise me. As we saw last year, injuries can happen, so who knows, maybe a team becomes desperate and trades for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X