Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd have no issue with Gordon at the top of the Marlins lineup.

Comment

• Depending on what we give up, I'd be alright with this move. Really. His game would seem to fit in Marlins Park.

Comment

• Gordon would be a nice move at 2B and would finally give the Marlins a real leadoff hitter. He isn't the power hitter they are looking for, though, so if they get him, you would think there would still be other moves to make.

Comment

• Actually, I'd really be a fan of Dee Gordon. He's basically what this organization wanted with Bonifacio, except, you know, Gordon is actually good.
          --------------------
          But adding Gordon basically means that you're either getting Morse or Bour/Dietrich/Baker at 1B and I don't know if I'm a fan of that. Morse more than the latter, but still not really a huge fan of either.

Dammit, we should've got Donaldson.
          Last edited by thatnewguy; 12-09-2014, 07:02 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by kusch View Post
            He's exactly what this FO wants in a player.
            Yup, an ethnic guy with a sub-.330 OBP leading off because speed
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• This winter meeting has been so boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                Yup, an ethnic guy with a sub-.330 OBP leading off because speed
                An ethnic guy? What the fuck does that mean? Do you mean black or are you just trying to say "non-white"
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Non-white
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by kusch View Post
                    This winter meeting has been so boring.
                    Blame Lester.

Comment

• Do you guys think that they regret making the Cosart move? Or do you think their genuinely happy at what he and kike are?

Comment

• To early to tell. We don't if Moran or Marisnick or Hernandez are actually any good. Only guy we know about is Cosart and he's not bad--not great, but not bad. I mean, obviously if Moran and Marisnick become .300 hitters with .800 OPSes then that'll suck in hindsight.

Comment

• SAN DIEGO -- All the elements are in place for the Marlins to make a huge splash before the Winter Meetings wrap up on Thursday. The club on Tuesday had numerous conversations with multiple teams regarding a power bat, starting pitcher and second baseman.

Heading into the Meetings, the Marlins weren't confident about the available second-base candidates. But the market has changed, and there is a chance the team could leave San Diego filling its three primary needs.

In order to do so, it would cost a tremendous amount of prospects, and perhaps some players off the big league roster. The predicament the front office faces is how to improve short term without setting the franchise back long term.

"If it we do [three moves], it will come at a steep price," president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. "That could happen, but that will be costly.

"In everything we're talking about, it's going to cost us inventory. That's something we've never done, because we've been so protective of it. It's definitely a shift in philosophy, and a desire to win more games than last year. That is our goal. We want to win more games. We understand we're going to have to use some of our inventory in order to access the pieces to allow us to do that."

Hill didn't specifically mention any names, but MLB.com has learned the Marlins have interest in Rockies first baseman Justin Morneau and free-agent first baseman/outfielder Michael Morse, who is a South Florida native. Free-agent third baseman Chase Headley is another possibility, but he isn't the highest priority. Arizona lefty Wade Miley is also on the team's radar.

An unlikely name surfaced late Tuesday afternoon, when it was reported that Dodgers second baseman Dee Gordon could be available. Gordon paced the Majors with 64 stolen bases in 2014.

Entering the Winter Meetings, the Marlins de-emphasized the second-base market, not believing there were many viable options. The club has been prepared to go with Donovan Solano, Enrique Hernandez or Derek Dietrich.
                          "Not to get into any specifics, we are exploring numerous things," Hill said. "I have said in the past, we like the speed component in our club. I would like more."

The son of former big league reliever Tom "Flash" Gordon, Dee would give the Marlins a leadoff threat similar to Juan Pierre, who set the franchise stolen-base record (65) in 2003.

Christian Yelich has handled the leadoff spot, but he could slide to the second spot in the order if a speedy second baseman is acquired. In spacious Marlins Park, where home runs are hard to come by, Miami would like to improve its overall speed. The Marlins stole just 58 bases in 2014, with Yelich (21) and Stanton (13) being the only ones to reach double digits.
                          Because he has Super Two status, Gordon is arbitration-eligible for the first time. And the first time he can reach free agency is 2019. Still, there is skepticism the Dodgers would actually move Gordon.

MLB.com has learned a number of teams covet more than Miami's pitching prospects, like Andrew Heaney and Anthony DeSclafani. Teams also have asked about core rotation parts -- All-Star Henderson Alvarez and Jarred Cosart. The Marlins have no interest in moving either player.
                          The Marlins don't appear to be in the James Shields sweepstakes, mainly because the free-agent right-hander is seeking a deal that could reach $100 million.

"We did reach out to numerous clubs and numerous agents who all fit with what we're hoping to do in terms of upgrading our starting rotation and adding a bat," Hill said. "Now that we've gotten here, we'll continue dialogue. Some things haven't gotten traction, and other things have gotten traction."
                          http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...-miami-marlins

I don't understand the Marlins being so firm on keeping certain players. I wish they'd look at Stanton, Fernandez, and Yelich as the untouchables and then everyone else could be had at the right price. I think their adamant attitude not to trade certain players hurts their ability to make improvements.

Comment

• Lester to cubs

Comment

• Henderson Alvarez shouldn't be traded at all right now considering he's our ace until Jose gets back and Cosart made a really nice transition to Marlins Park and again he's a guy we'll need with Jose out for half the year. It would be stupid to trade them right now.

DeSclafani is definitely tradable, and Heaney is available at the right price. Kinda sucks that it seems like Heaney's trade value has diminished a bit since his poor major league debut. Don't know what went wrong with him between his dominating minor league stints to his unimpressive MLB debut (especially since it's definitely not the case of calling up a player too soon). I'd like to see what Heaney can do with the rotation to start next year and see if he can even improve that trade value to where it was back in June.

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal · 8h 8 hours ago
                                #RedSox, #Marlins among teams in active discussions with #DBacks on Wade Miley, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal · 8h 8 hours ago
                                The offers #DBacks are getting for Miley are substantial enough that possibility of a deal has increased, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

Comment

Working...
                                X