Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds more and more like Samardzija is going to Whitesox. I prefer Price over him.

Comment

• Jung-Ho Kang seems pretty interesting. Wish they were in on the international guys more.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
        Thanks for that link/info.

The unfortunate thing is, is that that is about a 15 run difference from what FG has. So +1.5 WAR, making him a 2 war player.

So barely an average player, and it required a high BABIP to pull it off. Fine as a starting SS since it's such a hard position to fill, but far from extension material
        The blatant prejudice towards Hech on this board really baffles me. How is he "average" under that metric? On fangraphs, only 9 SS had a WAR of 3 or higher last year. You can't compare a SS to an OF. The value is per position. So you're saying you don't think an arguably top 10 MLB SS that can compete for gold gloves and has only played 2 full seasons is not worthy of an extension?

That doesn't make ANY sense. Basically you would have to choose from about 15 SS to get someone of equal or better value. And the value would be debatable based on age and salary. You can't say a player is bad because of a number without qualifying your relative comparison pool. SS is a weak position and always has been throughout the history of baseball. I would be very happy to have Hech as our starting SS for the rest of his career if he continues to put up great defense and hits around .260-.270. Yes his base running needs improvement. But find me a perfect player at that position.
        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
          Speaking of BABIP, we were 4th in baseball in it with 4 players in the top 30 and 5 in the top 45 (Yelich 5, Stanton 8, Ozuna 24, McGehee 29, Hech 45). We had the highest BABIP to average difference (-.063) in baseball.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/mlb/st...ay-babip/2014/

Yelich has a career .363 BABIP right now.
          don't really think Yelich is a problem. .363 is unsustainable over a career but he's going to be a high BABIP guy. Career BABIP in the minors was .379
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Does a player's speed increase his average BABIP? Yelich beats out a lot of bang-bang plays at first base.
            --------------------
            And with his build and age I don't see that changing any time soon unless he sustains a leg injury.
            Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• definitely
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                The blatant prejudice towards Hech on this board really baffles me. How is he "average" under that metric? On fangraphs, only 9 SS had a WAR of 3 or higher last year. You can't compare a SS to an OF. The value is per position. So you're saying you don't think an arguably top 10 MLB SS that can compete for gold gloves and has only played 2 full seasons is not worthy of an extension?

That doesn't make ANY sense. Basically you would have to choose from about 15 SS to get someone of equal or better value. And the value would be debatable based on age and salary. You can't say a player is bad because of a number without qualifying your relative comparison pool. SS is a weak position and always has been throughout the history of baseball. I would be very happy to have Hech as our starting SS for the rest of his career if he continues to put up great defense and hits around .260-.270. Yes his base running needs improvement. But find me a perfect player at that position.
                He was 26th in WAR among shortstops with 300 plate appearances or more last season, per FanGraphs.

You have to assume the absolute best-case scenario for him across the board to get him to average. That's the issue.

Like, if we assume the very best defensive metric is his true value (and not the other ones that say he's averaged), and you assume that he can sustain a .325 BABIP, he can maybe be the 16th best shortstop in baseball.

You don't buy a player like that out, because a player like that isn't going to break the bank in arbitration. You let him go year by year, and if you can't find anything better, he's fine to keep around.

The idea that we should be happy with Hech moving forward is insane. If he's your 4th-best infielder, he's fine. However, with how bad the infield is overall, they should be looking for upgrades where ever possible. The fact that they don't seem to view him as someone worth even considering an upgrade on is what bothers me.
                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM.
                poop

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                  The blatant prejudice towards Hech on this board really baffles me.

Objectiveness cannot be prejudice.

As for the rest of your post...

A best case scenario had him at 2 WAR.

And that's 13th out of 22 qualified shortstops

So yeah, average.

(The point of war is the give a positional modifier to be able to judge across the board. 2 war = average player.)

You're the one letting feelings get in the way of an informed opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                    don't really think Yelich is a problem. .363 is unsustainable over a career but he's going to be a high BABIP guy. Career BABIP in the minors was .379

With Stanton's and Ozuna's power, don't think they'll be problems either.

Comment

• The Miami Marlins, after awarding the monster $325 million deal to Giancarlo Stanton, tried hard to get LaRoche to help protect him in the lineup, and they inquired about Josh Donaldson, sources tell Bleacher Report, before the A's shipped Donaldson to Toronto.
                      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...is_shared=true

Comment

• Not sure what it's worth, but Peter Gammons was just on MLB Network and talked about the Fish.

Said he's heard Marlins expect to make a move today on a 1st baseman, whether through trade or free agency.

Also said we are one of the teams in on Shields.

Comment

• Brantly claimed by White Sox per Twitter

Comment

• The Marlins have Aaron Crow left to show for the Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante trade. 2/3 of the players they received in return left for nothing.

welp.
                            poop

Comment

• Donaldson would have been amazing

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                                Brantly claimed by White Sox per Twitter
                                Like Gammons said there is talk of a bat being added soon

I have heard 2 names but haven't read it on MLBTraderumors yet so I wont post it.

Brantly DFA to clear the spot

Comment

Working...
                                X