Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The love for Dietrich versus the hate for Hech always amuses me.

Comment

• The organization's love for Hech and hate for Dietrich should as well.
      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        The love for Dietrich versus the hate for Hech always amuses me.
        Last year, in 43 games, Dietrich was worth .3 WAR.

Last year, in 146 games, Hechavarria was worth .6 WAR.

No one thinks Dietrich is a world beater, or an elite bat at 2B. But it is ridiculous to us that he is not even given an opportunity when Hechavarria has spent 2 straight seasons being among the worst players in baseball, and not only does the team seem to ignore his flaws, they openly gush about him and seem hellbent on signing him to an extension.

There isn't love for Dietrich and hate for Hech. It is befuddlement.
        --------------------
        It is also hard to figure out what they see in Donovan Solano, but that is another story.
        Last edited by Todd; 12-05-2014, 09:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

• A Todd post that is completely spot on.

High five

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post

No one thinks Dietrich is a world beater, or an elite bat at 2B. But it is ridiculous to us that he is not even given an opportunity when Hechavarria has spent 2 straight seasons being among the worst players in baseball, and not only does the team seem to ignore his flaws, they openly gush about him and seem hellbent on signing him to an extension.

--------------------
            It is also hard to figure out what they see in Donovan Solano, but that is another story.
            And in 42 games overall Kike was worth 1.1 WAR. Man I love that guy. He definitely should get 2b Job. As for Dietrich he's gonna have to take his spot. When McGhee blows this year he's going to have to hit his way to the starting 3b job. That's his only shot.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Well, to be fair, it seems that DD is being moved towards the corner infield spots away. And since all of his value lies in his bat, that's probably not a bad decisions.

Comment

• Moving him to a corner infield spot eliminates the majority of his value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post

--------------------
                  I believe that Hech's WAR is skewed by questionable defensive metrics. Most people in baseball seem to feel he's an excellent defensive SS, but if he was even rated as an above average SS, that WAR would go up significantly if I'm not mistaken. I'm not trying to make Hech out to be some kind of great player, but he's solid, which is much better than many people on this board make him out to be. In fact, on MLB Radio the other day they were discussing the Didi Gregorius trade and said that the Yankees hope was that he'd become a Hech-type player. On the other hand, Dietrich has done very little other than show brief signs of some power, and awful defense at 2B. I just don't get why everyone is so down on one and so bullish on the other.

Comment

• The Yankees probably have no idea that Gregorious is already better than Hech.

Comment

• What does it matter if a guy hits 20 HR at 2B or 3B?

Comment

• It has generally been easier to find power in corner spots than up the middle, though I feel like that might be changing a bit with regards to 3rd base.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        I believe that Hech's WAR is skewed by questionable defensive metrics. Most people in baseball seem to feel he's an excellent defensive SS, but if he was even rated as an above average SS, that WAR would go up significantly if I'm not mistaken. I'm not trying to make Hech out to be some kind of great player, but he's solid, which is much better than many people on this board make him out to be. In fact, on MLB Radio the other day they were discussing the Didi Gregorius trade and said that the Yankees hope was that he'd become a Hech-type player. On the other hand, Dietrich has done very little other than show brief signs of some power, and awful defense at 2B. I just don't get why everyone is so down on one and so bullish on the other.
                        I mean, even if we assume he's a top-5 defensive shortstop, he's still... What, Alcides Escobar without the base running?

He's probably got to be a legitimate gold-glove caliber player to even be a 2-WAR kind of guy. Maybe he can be, or even is that already, but it seems like a stretch to me.

I'm just going to try not to complain about it, because I know he's here for the long haul. They think he's really good, so whatever, I just have to accept it. Bitching about it isn't going to change things.

Isn't Stockholm syndrome fun?
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-07-2014, 12:43 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        poop

Comment

• I don't think Dietrich loses any value by moving to 3b.

And honestly, for as much as I think the FO should have tried him out at 2B instead of fucking Solano, fact remains his UZR/150 in his career at 2b is -14.4 and -19 DRS/150. Small sample size but still. And with how many throwing error's he's had, moving him to 3B doesn't exactly bode well.

He's been worth somewhere between -0.3 (BR) to 0.3 (FG) WAR in just under a years worth of PA in his career. Not exactly starting material.

I know everyone is super against it but I do feel he's currently the best 1B option on the roster. Push his career BABIP to average levels and we're talking about an .800 OPS bat, and so far he's shown in the majors that he is not a MLB caliber 2B defensively. I pray we make a move otherwise and bring someone else in, but I'd rather have him there than Jones again.

IMO though, he's good bench material being left handed, having power, and be able to fake it enough to back up 2B/3B.
                          --------------------
                          And yeah. End of the day, regardless of any argument about Hech's defense, he has a career OPS of .617.
                          Last edited by nny; 12-07-2014, 01:56 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Okay so why hasn't Headley accepted the 4/$65MM offer yet? It has to be BS, and it seems to be hurting the interest in him because both Cleveland and Miami have backed off on him.

Comment

• The Giants, Yankees, nor the Marlins offered the deal. Whose this major mystery team offering him the money?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                It has generally been easier to find power in corner spots than up the middle, though I feel like that might be changing a bit with regards to 3rd base.
                                --------------------

I mean, even if we assume he's a top-5 defensive shortstop, he's still... What, Alcides Escobar without the base running?

He's probably got to be a legitimate gold-glove caliber player to even be a 2-WAR kind of guy. Maybe he can be, or even is that already, but it seems like a stretch to me.

I'm just going to try not to complain about it, because I know he's here for the long haul. They think he's really good, so whatever, I just have to accept it. Bitching about it isn't going to change things.

Isn't Stockholm syndrome fun?
                                You've turned to the Daft hyperbole thing lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X