Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean, if you accept the idea that a win is worth roughly $7 million the open market at this point, it's not a terrible deal.

By both FanGraphs and Baseball-Reference, he's been at least a 3.5 WAR player each of the last two seasons. Even if you assume he gets .5 WAR worse every year, he'd be a relatively safe bet to accumulate 9 WAR over the life of the deal.

I thought 4/$56 would be about right for him, so this would definitely be an overpay. But I think the hole on this team is so huge, it's worth overpaying to fill it.
    poop

Comment

• ^ good point
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• 65 is a lot, but maybe this is the Marlins "Werth" overpay to get back to respectability

And really, if they were going to overpay, shields and headley probably the best options so there's that.

Comment

• It's not uncommon to have to overpay in free agency, especially if the market was set by someone who was already overpaid and the guy you're going after is the best free agent available. I wouldn't mind this move, especially since I was hopeful that Headley would sign here since we started the offseason. Plus, if this happens, it pretty much means that Jones is gone.

Comment

• clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 1m1 minute ago
            #Marlins are not engaged in any discussions for Chase Headley, according to multiple sources.
            And then Clark poops the party.

Comment

• But at least we've still got Reid Brignac!

Comment

• Having Chase Headley for 2 hours was better than nothing I guess.

Hits MaGahee it is!

Comment

• @hoynsie: A's interested in Tribe 2B prospect Joey Wendle for Brandon Moss, according to @susanslusser.
                  Twitter

If that's the case, we can get him for DD.

Comment

• Best summary of today's Headley stuff:

Comment

• The Marlins like Chase Headley very much and have been weighing an offer for the free agent third baseman, but it appears they are delaying the pursuit at least for now after learning about a huge offer allegedly made to Headley.

Marlins people either heard via the baseball grapevine or read a report suggesting rival teams were hearing from the agents that he had an offer for about $65 million for four years. The report was written by Jeff Passan of Yahoo.

Wherever they heard it or read, it apparently gave the Marlins pause.

Third base is a tough position to fill, and Headley is clearly the top third baseman on the market, but that figure apparently gave the Marlins the belief they would have no chance to win his services. So they are in a holding pattern.
                      http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-million-offer

Comment

• Why not offer him what you're comfortable offering him, and if this supposed 4-year, $65 million deal is out there, he'll take that over your (lower) offer.

How do we know the 4/65 is real and not just a way to bump up the price for their client?

Now, it may be real, but as someone else said, why wouldn't he have signed already since that's already considered an overpay? Unless they're hoping someone like us will get desperate and offer more...

Comment

• @CDeNicola13: Hill said #Marlins have gotten a ton of calls on pitching, could be considered a surplus though "you can never have enough of it." #MLB
                          @CDeNicola13: Hill: There's been multiple conversations on a lot of fronts. I wouldn't say we're near the finish line on anything. #Marlins #MLB
                          Twitter

Comment

• The Winter Meetings begin on Monday, and Miami remains focused on adding a power bat and a front-line starting pitcher. Second base may be a need, but it isn’t the club’s highest priority. The team is prepared to have open competition with Donovan Solano and Enrique Hernandez being the frontrunners.

But we also know that we have to win games.
                            http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2014/1...nter-meetings/

Comment

• I LOLd

Comment

• So did Derek Dietrich.

Comment

Working...
                                X