Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean, I just dont fucking understand what this franchise sees in Hechavarria or why the media fucking enables their opinion on him.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• He's a great ASS.

Comment

• Loria isn't stupid enough to bring The Jogging Machine back to SS

But he is stupid enough to think that Hech is fabulous and McGehee is the real deal.

Comment

• I don't hate Hech. He's fine if he's the worst player in your infield. But the Marlins have a bigger problem in that, right now, he's the best player in their infield. If they have an opportunity to upgrade at SS in addition to upgrading at other positions, then do it. But there aren't that many quality shortstops that are still out there. At least, not ones that wouldn't just serve the fish better playing 2B or 3B.

An upgrade at 1B/3B and an upgrade at 2B are necessary. If Hech is the hold over and he's giving you a 1-2 war, that's a win.

EDIT: And just for the record, I don't trust Casey McGehee for shit next year.
          Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-20-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• I like watching Hech play defense. He's exciting.

But in his 2 seasons with the Marlins his WAR is -1.3.

Watching him hit is painful most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              But in his 2 seasons with the Marlins his WAR is -1.3.
              To be fair, I think Hech went from the absolute worst player in baseball in terms of war to an above replacement player. If there's any credence to the idea that he's improving, it's there.

Whatever. Even if he's a 0.6 WAR guy the rest of his career, you can get by with him at shortstop as long as the rest of your infield isn't absolute shit like the Marlins have had for the last two years.
              --------------------
              Steamer has a Marlins infield of McGehee, Castro, Headley, and Hech at a 7.3 WAR. Laroche instead of McGehee ups that number to 8.2.

And that will never happen but I'd be incredibly happy with that.
              Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• If Hechavarria can put up a full season of his 2nd half numbers (.276/.314/.374) last year, and there's no alarming peripherals that I can find to say its not possible, he's going to be a ~1.5 WAR player next year.

If he can take one more step forward offensively and get to around .710ops, longshot but not impossible, he'll be fine.

Really think his contract isn't going to be a big deal and it'll be tradable if need be. It's worth the risk, assuming it's not a ridiculous number (and there's no reason to think it will be).
                --------------------
                He's nowhere near as good as the front office acts like he is and he's nowhere near as bad as some people on here act like he is.
                Last edited by HUGG; 11-20-2014, 11:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• How many years is Hech still club controlled? 3? I don't think something along the lines of a 4 year/$23-31 million is a bad move. I don't know what his value would be on the open market but I'm sure it would be around there. That being said, I don't see the hurry to lock him up. I can live with him in the infield but I can also live with him gone and, barring some offensive breakout that we're not expecting, he's not gonna be that highly valued in arbitration and free agency. The Marlins can afford to wait and use that money to lock up Yelich and Ozuna to club-friendly long term contracts and actually add some good pieces to this core.

Comment

• I'm not sure how much it would take, but I would think it might even be less than your number.

Other factors could be that he's already made $9.2m in his career, so guaranteed money may not be as enticing to him as some of the other arbitration eligible. But, I also imagine he also really likes being in Miami.

Comment

• He still has four years of club control. Doesn't hit arbitration until after next season

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                        How many years is Hech still club controlled? 3? I don't think something along the lines of a 4 year/$23-31 million is a bad move. I don't know what his value would be on the open market but I'm sure it would be around there. That being said, I don't see the hurry to lock him up. I can live with him in the infield but I can also live with him gone and, barring some offensive breakout that we're not expecting, he's not gonna be that highly valued in arbitration and free agency. The Marlins can afford to wait and use that money to lock up Yelich and Ozuna to club-friendly long term contracts and actually add some good pieces to this core.
                        I think that's a really bad move as you're effectively guaranteeing his arbitration with nothing on the back end. He's not the kind of guy who is going to break the bank in arbitration, even if he starts getting close to defensive projections. There is absolutely no reason to buy just his arbitration out for 4 years (and $23 would be the absolute high in such a scenario).

Alternatively, if they did something like 4/$18, with 5-6-7 year options for $7-$7-$8 each, with a $2 million buyout at the end (so effectively 4/$20), that may make sense. If he hits his defensive projections and becomes a 2+ WAR player, the Marlins have solid club options for free agency years. And as for the next 4 years, that's just not a lot of bucks to worry about and he'll be an expensive bench player.

I think you just wait 2 years on him. If he's good in 2015, make him prove it in 2016, and then do a deal. Yelich (7+option) and Alvarez(5 years) are the only 2 guys I think they need to buy out right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Yelich (7+option) and Alvarez(5 years) are the only 2 guys I think they need to buy out right now.
                          Ozuna?

Comment

• Ozuna is a Boras client, might as well not even think about it
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Ozuna is a power hitting right handed bat, like emkay said, forget about it. Boras knows what Ozuna offers is at a premium in the game. He's going to charge accordingly.

Comment

• You guys know that these players have their own say too, right? At the end of the day the player does whatever the hell they feel is right. The agent will only advise them.

Moving on to another subject, I have a feeling LaRoche ends up down here. I know he isn't a big upgrade, but much better than McGehee batting 4th. The fact that we don't have to give up a pick is also appealing. 2/$20MM is not too shabby in my opinion. I much rather have a guy like Tomas, but it doesn't seem like we are even close to moving in that direction. Braves and Pads are said to be heavily interested.

In regards to Castro, he's basically Hanley 2.0. No chance they acquire him in my opinion.
                                Last edited by Big Z; 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X