Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterson went from 91.6mph avg fastball to 88.9mph last season. Hard pass.

Also, not sure why anyone bothers with any scenarios involving Dietrich. They're never gonna use him.
    --------------------
    And yeah, if LaRoche takes that deal, I'm totally fine with it. That's lower than I expected.
    Last edited by HUGG; 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• LaRoche, Shields, ballpark fences and more

MIAMI — Giancarlo Stanton is signed, sealed and delivered for 13 years at $325 million. What’s next?

Here’s what I’ve learned is on tap. The Marlins have serious interest in Adam LaRoche and James Shields remains on the club’s radar. The Miami Herald reported Miami has a two-year, $20 million offer on the table for the veteran first baseman. MLB.com has confirmed interest.

A power bat to protect Stanton is a high priority. LaRoche would fit the bill, adding playoff experience, as well as the fact he hits from the left side.

A high-end starting pitcher is also a priority. Shields, obviously, would bring plenty of experience to a young rotation that will be without Jose Fernandez for much of the first half.

Worth noting

* The dimensions at spacious Marlins Park were brought up in the Stanton negotiations. Nothing was written into the megadeal guaranteeing the fences will be moved in. But the Marlins are open to doing so over the next few years. The organization is studying the impact of the park. It’s not just a concern for Stanton, who obviously has the power to clear the fences as is.

But if the team feels the building is causing its players to constantly change their approaches, then it could lead to making changes. The concern is the Miami batters will have one approach at home and another on the road.

Another factor is the pitching. If the Marlins’ pitchers are tending to be much better at home than on the road, it may have something to do with them playing to the big park, challenging hitters. The mistake pitches that are rewarded at home could find themselves being burned in visiting parks.

* The Marlins have no interest in Pablo Sandoval.

* Miami may seek to trade prospects for a controllable starting pitcher, much like their Jarred Cosart deal with the Astros. Aside from Tyler Kolek, their No. 1 pick this year, the club is open to trading pretty much any prospect.

* Jarrod Saltalamacchia, in his second year of a three-year deal, is not a trade candidate.

* Other clubs are inquiring about J.T. Realmuto, but Miami isn’t interested in trading their catcher of the future.

– Joe Frisaro
      http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/

Comment

• glad to hear Salty is staying put
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• The LaRoche stuff really stinks. I'm rooting for him to take another offer.
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            glad to hear Salty is staying put
            That is unfortunate.

Comment

• Frisaro is an idiot. TjFla said we're trading Salty.

Comment

• If Salty's defense is as bad as the stats say, he's no where close to being 7m better than Jeff Mathis. If we need to be stingy, trading him isn't a bad idea.

But I probably prefer to keep him and hope he improves.

Comment

• Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m2 minutes ago
                  reid brignac agrees to minor-league deal with #marlins
                  LETS MAKE PLAN A JOKES GUYS

Comment

• I still don't understand why fangraphs rates Saltalamacchia's defense as a positive. Considering he led all catchers in errors, was second worst in pitch framing to only Wellington Castillo (I believe I read that), and was below average throwing out runners, I fail to see why fangraphs likes him.

I see a guy who's terrible defensively who was paid for a career year offensively. His offensive line last year becomes worse if you consider is unsustainable walk rate. He's rather terrible. I suppose he'd be less terrible if he never started against LHP, but that's definitely not happening with this organization. They don't like to platoon as it is so they're not going to do it with the guy who's currently their highest paid player next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      Frisaro is an idiot. TjFla said we're trading Salty.
                      Frisaro also said they have no interest in Sandoval, while TJFla seems to feel is their first priority. Someone is wrong here, and I know who my money is on.

Comment

• He was last, not second worst.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Code:
                        Jarrod Saltalmacchia
                        2007 - 27 -1.44/g
                        2008 - 59 -1.05/g
                        2009 + 21 +0.26/g
                        2010 -  9 -1.82/g
                        2011 +131 +1.32/g
                        2012 + 55 +0.56/g
                        2013 - 22 -0.20/g
                        2014 -183 -1.88/g

Jeff Mathis
                        2007 +83  +1.79/g
                        2008 +69  +0.80/g
                        2009 +82  +1.10/g
                        2010 +32  +0.50/g
                        2011 +75  +0.98/g
                        2012 +30  +0.51/g
                        2013 -13  -0.21/g
                        2014 + 9  +0.17/g

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          He was last, not second worst.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Code:
                          Jarrod Saltalmacchia
                          2007 - 27 -1.44/g
                          2008 - 59 -1.05/g
                          2009 + 21 +0.26/g
                          2010 -  9 -1.82/g
                          2011 +131 +1.32/g
                          2012 + 55 +0.56/g
                          2013 - 22 -0.20/g
                          2014 -183 -1.88/g

Jeff Mathis
                          2007 +83  +1.79/g
                          2008 +69  +0.80/g
                          2009 +82  +1.10/g
                          2010 +32  +0.50/g
                          2011 +75  +0.98/g
                          2012 +30  +0.51/g
                          2013 -13  -0.21/g
                          2014 + 9  +0.17/g
                          Even better

Comment

• Fangraphs doesn't take pitch framing into account

Comment

• The question is who you replace him with. Mathis cannot hit at all. And no one can catch 150 games, so you're forcing Brantly onto the roster to start 50 games if Realmuto isn't ready. And you're also hoping Realmuto is ready and pans out. Is he worth $7M? Probably not. But he's better than the alternatives, and there's no reason to make the team worse for no reason. If you trade his $7M to get help elsewhere, that improvement is tempered by the fact that catcher gets that much worse.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Are we really much worse with Mathis and another guy?

Comment

Working...
                                X