Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be ecstatic if we can sign Lester or Shields, and then upgrade one of the infield corner spots via trade. I really think 1 of the 2 between Kike and Dietrich will turn into a major league average starting 2nd baseman. That's doable at $70 Million, and doesn't kill our future, financially or prospect-wise.

Maybe it's still not enough, but it gets us in the conversation, and shouldn't do anything to hinder us in the near future.
    Last edited by Nick; 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      ok.
      I don't see why you can't be prudent and spend money. It seems dumb to present those things as mutually exclusive.

throwing $27 million at a relief pitcher when you've had a history of finding good closers for nothing was stupid.

spending money, making smart moves > not spending money, making smart moves > spending money, being stupid > not spending money, being stupid

I'm not sure why these things keep being presented as opposed. You can do all of the smart things we would like to see the marlins do to put together a competitive $70m team, and then add a good $10-15 million player on top of that to make that team even better.

Seriously, what was the point of them spending $134 million less than the average team over the last two years.
      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM.
      poop

Comment

• Fish are trying to get a meeting with Sandoval's people bad. No indications tho that they will get 1

Already has 2 offers from Boston and SF

Comment

• see, this Pablo Sandoval/Adam LaRoche stuff seems like it falls under the "spending money, being stupid" part of that continuum.
          poop

Comment

• I agree completely. Lowrie is really the only FA bat I want when factoring in price/years, assuming the 3/$27m pricetag thrown around is about right.

He's too boring for us to sign though.

Comment

• I think Headley is such a perfect fit, there's no way they ever do it.

Headley would be a "spending money, making smart moves" thing. He's undervalued because so much of his worth comes from defense. I think he'd be a steal at $14 per year, and fills arguably the most glaring hole in the organization.
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                I'll be ecstatic if we can sign Lester or Shields, and then upgrade one of the infield corner spots via trade. I really think 1 of the 2 between Kike and Dietrich will turn into a major league average starting 2nd baseman. That's doable at $70 Million, and doesn't kill our future, financially or prospect-wise.

Maybe it's still not enough, but it gets us in the conversation, and shouldn't do anything to hinder us in the near future.
                Yep. It's really simple.

They can afford one "expensive" $15+ million player right now for 3-6 years. It fits in with salary escalations with the Fernandez/Yelich/Cosart/Ozuna crop, and with other guys (Salty, Jones, Cishek, Eovaldi, Dunn, McGehee, Baker, etc.) being shaved off the team organically.

A perfect off-season for me is this (not including dream trade scenarios with heaney or cishek for someone like Castro, Betts, etc.)

1. Sign Stanton
                2. Sign Yelich 7 years plus option
                3. Sign Alvarez 5 years

4. Sign 1 major free agent, annual value $15-18 - your pick Panda/Hanley/Shields/Max/Lester. Don't care who.

5. Trade Cishek and pick a SP (Eovaldi, Heaney, Koehler, Hand, depending on return), hopefully attach Jones/Salty to the trade, and get the best god damn young infielder at any position that can play right now

6. Depending on who you sign in # 4 and which SP you trade in # 5, use the remainder of money and/or nominal trade assets (the Nicolinos, etc.) to get another veteran IF who can play a few spots, or catcher if Salty is indeed moved.

That's probably around $65-70.

Bonus. If they want to go crazy, throw LaRoche/Headley/Lowrie/etc. on top of that for 2/$25 max. Nothing more than 2 years and it's ok as they have to protect 17/18 payroll somewhat. That'll push over $80 likely for next two years.

I don't think this makes or breaks the season, but I respect bobbob thinking this is the what they should do monetarily because that's still a bottom 5 payroll, and those guys would unarguably be an upgrade over one of infield roster spots as compared to the team currently realistically carrying Dietrich, Hernandez, and Solano to open season.
                Last edited by lou; 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Wasn't there a time the Marlins were interested in Headley when he was with the Padres, or was that just a dream scenario for us? It really is an amazing fit.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• #HeadleytoMiami?

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      Wasn't there a time the Marlins were interested in Headley when he was with the Padres, or was that just a dream scenario for us? It really is an amazing fit.
                      If this whole "hard-throwing GB pitchers" thing is actually a plan and not just a happy accident they stumbled on with Cosart and Alvarez, I can't think of a better possible use of this money than on Headley at 3rd base. Would be one of the best left sides in baseball, and would just further serve to maximize the value of these pitchers.

It's not gonna happen.
                      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        If this whole "hard-throwing GB pitchers" thing is actually a plan and not just a happy accident they stumbled on with Cosart and Alvarez, I can't think of a better possible use of this money than on Headley at 3rd base. Would be one of the best left sides in baseball, and would just further serve to maximize the value of these pitchers.

It's not gonna happen.
                        Yea.

We all know damn well, if they buy a free agent, it's a "clean up hitter to protect Stanton so they have to pitch to him or someone will make them pay."

Which is why LaRoche makes sense because he had a lot of RBIs and they like that.

But like I said, I'm fine with that if that is the "over the top" move. Not the "move to get to $65 million," which would just be absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sr.Imbto
                          What would he cost?
                          FanGraphs community projection had him at 4/$56 million.
                          --------------------
                          Headley even at 4/$60 makes so much more sense than LaRoche or Pablo or even Shields.
                          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Yea I agree, but then 2017 becomes a $125 million team, and 2018 straight up over $150 million. Could be dangerous if there are injuries or guys fall apart.
                            I mean, I posted in the other thread how you could be a 100m team for the next four years without an issue. 2017 really isn't a problem and shouldn't be $125m, just ditch the rising cost of BP arms. 2018 is the only possible issue, but 1) it's still doable 2) when you're winning 90+ games for three years strait, you can afford to raise payroll to the ~$120 range from the ~$100 range.

They can easily go and improve at 1B, 2B, 3B, and splurge on SP and be fine for payroll the next several years. Not "$70m" fine, but "MLB average" fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sr.Imbto
                              What would he cost?
                              CBS projected all the top guys. The rough numbers are:

Tier 1
                              Max - 7/$175
                              Lester - 6/$125-150
                              Hanley - 5/$100
                              Shields - 5/$100
                              Panda - 5/$95
                              Tomas - 7-8/$93-100

2nd Tier
                              E. Santana - 4/$50
                              Cruz - 3/$50
                              Liriano - 3/$40
                              Headley - big range of thoughts 1/$10, 3/$36, 4/$52
                              McCarthy - 3/$35
                              Volquez - 3-4/$36-48
                              Lowrie - 3/$28
                              Hammel - 3/$28
                              A. Cabrera - 3/$30
                              LaRoche - 2/$25
                              Peavy - 2/$25
                              Morse - 2/$20

3rd Tier (it trails off bad here, but to mention notables)
                              R. Weeks - 2/$10
                              Bonifacio - 2/$7
                              B. Anderson - 1/$6
                              J. Johnson - 1/$4

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-they-will-get
                              Last edited by lou; 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Headley just sticks out like a sore thumb there as the best fit for the Marlins. He would be so perfect. Trade Heaney for Castro and you've immediately made the infield 7 wins better.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X