This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• What do you guys think the payroll threshold is going to be?

Stanton being paid so little this year opens things up a bit. If they also ditch Eovaldi and Cishek, and let's say a miracle happens and they ditch either Salty, Jones, or a Dunn/Baker combo (let's just average that out to saying they saved another $5 million which is fair), the team looks like this at around $36 million dollars

C/1B - Salty or Jones
      C/1B - ___________
      2B - Dietrich/Hernandez
      SS - Hech
      3B - McGehee
      OF - Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton
      B - Baker, Mathis, Solano, Dietrich/Hernandez, ___________

SP - Alvarez, Cosart, Koehler, Hand, Heaney
      RP - Ramos, Morris, Dunn, Hatcher, Capps, Jennings, Dyson (or whoever)

$36 million, and I've traded Cishek, Eovaldi, and Salty/Jones off the team, where I'd imagine 1 good infielder is coming back at a club controlled price to help there.

That's James Shields and Pablo Sandoval/Hanley Ramirez money and likely being around $70-75 million in 2015.

Next year, arbitration payroll and Stanton increase would increase the team $15 million, but subtracting McGhee, Dunn, Mathis, Baker the other of Salty/Jones would be subtracting like $13 off of it so payroll wouldn't really go up in 2016. You'd hope they'd have some infielders in another calendar year.

2017 would be the big one when Stanton comes up another 5, Yelich, Ozuna, FernandezArb2, AlvarezArb3, Cosart, Koehler, and relievers would hit arbitration. That would push 2017 to $100 million easily, but there wouldn't be much attrition.

2018 would get scarier as Stanton takes a $10 jump, FernandezArb3 could be catastrophic, and Yelich/Ozuna/Cosart and I think Heaney/others will hit arb by then so that's an easy $140+ million team (assuming Shields and Hanley/Pablo have 4 year deals).

Basically, just trying to show that wouldn't work for 4-5 year deals to the top free agents.

They need to structure solid 3 year deals with top guys if possible. I wonder if they can do a 3/$57-60 with James Shields (that's more attractive than a 5/$80 right?) and maybe a 2/$25 with LaRoche (who I don't love, but I get the upgrade there). That'll not kill them next 3 seasons, and you'd hope their farm can replace guys come 2017/2018 so they could maintain a $90-100 and really bank on the SP and OF production. Hope to get a gem with Realmuto, Barnes, Romero, etc.

Time to draft fast moving college kids.

Comment

• #BringHanleyHome

Comment

• They should have at least a 90m payroll.

That'd still be a bottom-8 payroll in the majors.

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
            Sources: #Marlins interested in Shields. Would cost team No. 12 pick in draft plus $$$. GM Dan Jennings drafted Shields for #Rays in 2000.

Comment

• I don't think I like that.

Comment

• I don't

Comment

• The Nationals have released catcher Jhonatan Solano, also per MLB.com. Solano, the older brother of Marlins second baseman Donovan Solano, has seen minimal big league time over the past two years and did not have a clear role in the organization moving forward.
                  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...m-lincoln.html

you know we'll be signing him

Comment

• I like Shields. He's really good.
                    poop

Comment

• Where we're going, we don't need Shields. (Playoffs)

Comment

• I'm all in on signing Shields and trading Heaney for Starlin or one of the other Cubs infield dudes.
                        poop

Comment

• We're better with Shields, without a doubt.

But we need to upgrade the IF at every position really. That needs to be the focus.

If Shields means trading pitching for IF help, even better

Comment

• I don't like giving up a top half first round pick for a guy at an age that could decline soon.

Comment

• Brandon McCarthy would be much cheaper, not cost a draft pick, and would mean 40% of our rotation is good at Twitter (Cosart).
                              --------------------
                              Then we could sign Hanley
                              Last edited by HUGG; 11-18-2014, 07:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I would prefer McCarthy.

But I'm not gonna complain if they sign Shields. He's really good.

And, really, McCarthy might not be *that* good.
                                --------------------
                                McCarthy would fit the "Hard-throwing GB pitchers" think they've got going on, assuming last year is legitimate.

He also saw a two MPH increase in his FB velocity at age 31, so who knows what that means.
                                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X