X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hechavarria had a solid year offensively as well

--------------------
    the Marlins' farm system is deep enough for them to make a competitive offer
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    poop

Comment

• Hi.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• (For reference)
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
          Never watched him, how good/bad did DeSclafani actually look?

He had a great K/BB and good overall peripherals in his time in the majors (5.20 K/BB, 3.77 FIP, 3.80 xFIP). He done very well in the minors for his career, which includes last year, and he's currently doing great in the AFL (6 K/BB, just 1 HR, 2.67 ERA/2.29 FIP).

However, he had a bad BABIP and terrible LOB% so his ERA was shit. He's also a FB pitcher and the FO generally does not like them (which is silly in our park but whatever).

Does he have the stuff to be a starter?

I guess I'm just scared of us signing someone like Kyle Kendrick as our "FA Starter" when I don't see the problem with Heaney #5, DeSclafani #6, and Urena and Nicolino waiting in the wings. No one wants to see Brad Hand or Brian Flynn start another game, but they're not that much worse than the back of the rotation guys you find on the FA market. James Shields-level would be all kinds of cool, but what's the chances of that actually happening. And I'd probably rather spend that money if it was available in the IF anyway
          Fangraphs just did a blurb on DeScalfani, listing him as the Marlins # 2 prospect for 2015 (Heaney 1, obviously not a top 10 list as Kolek would be 1):

2. Anthony DeSclafani, RHP: DeSclafani was more or less an afterthought in the late-2012 deal that saw both Toronto and Miami shake up their big league rosters. Despite being a lesser known prospect at the time of the deal, the former University of Florida hurler has now surpassed the more heralded Justin Nicolino on the depth charts. Originally a reliever, the right-hander has developed into a potential No. 4 starter at the big league level and got his first taste of the Majors in 2014. (http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/top...miami-marlins/)

I also randomly saw a rotoworld post about DeScalfani a few days ago. Fantasy focused, but still:

DeSclafani didn’t look great in his major league debut last season, with a 6.27 ERA in five starts and eight relief appearances. Those final numbers don’t tell the whole story in a limited sample size of 33 innings, as DeSclafani had a terrific 5.20 K/BB ratio and 1.4 BB/9. The former sixth-round pick has made a smooth climb up the minors since the Blue Jays drafted him in 2011. After being acquired in the Marlins’ firesale trade prior to 2012, he has a sub-4.00 ERA at three different levels with a sub-2.0 BB/9 until getting to Triple-A last season. His control became more of an issue in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but DeSclafani still had a 3.49 ERA and nearly one strikeout per inning in 59.1 innings. His career minor league WHIP stands at 1.24, and his minor league control certainly carried over to the majors. The roomy backdrop in Miami should help DeSclafani keep the ball in the park when he cracks the major league rotation for good, which could be the beginning of the season if the team isn’t active this offseason. While fellow prospect Andrew Heaney gets most of the attention among the young Marlins starters, DeSclafani is talented in his own right and capable of a sub-1.30 WHIP.

So the scouts are thinking an innings eater, which actually would be pretty great to slip in behind Fernandez, Alvarez, Cosart, and Heaney longterm (note: Eovaldi and Koehler become cost prohibitive soon and don't match upside of those first 4. Probably not worth $3-5 million tenders past maybe keeping Eovaldi this year). Really, doesn't matter if its DeScalfani, Hand, Nicolino, Urena, Brice, Flynn... just one of them needs to develop into a "4" and have one of them be a good long man/6th starter/hanging in bullpen for injury scenarios.

I think there is no problem, for 2015, having a 4-8 rotation of Koehler, Hand (great post, he has kind of earned April in the rotation), Heaney, DeScalfani, and Nicolino, with the idea Fernandez is coming back in August and Heaney is going to take over a spot at some point.

Pretty good depth here. Hence my half year crusade to trade Eovaldi and Cishek for young infielders and just sign a veteran SP for 1-2 years until the minors guys are ready (unless moneybags wants to pay Shields which of course would be amazing).

Comment

• I'd like a 1 year deal for Brett Anderson. Maybe he won't get hurt until Fernandez is back.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
              I'd like a 1 year deal for Brett Anderson. Maybe he won't get hurt until Fernandez is back.
              or Brandon Morrow

It looks like they are looking at Baltimore-asked on Ubaldo and Bud Norris. Using Mike Dunn,Hand/Koehler and prospects as bait(They want Balt to pay some of Ubaldo salary tho)

They are trying to get 1 of them cheap

Comment

• I hope we get rid of Saltalamacchia. He's horrible.
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• We don't exactly have anyone better. And I think he's a solid bounce back candidate

Comment

• He's below average at worst. Have we forgotten how historically bad the catcher position was for us Pre-Salty?

Comment

• As I've said before really don't get the Salty hate. He had a rough defensive year. But offensively even though he was down he still wasn't bad for the contract. We don't really want another black hole at C like we had basically since Charles Johnson left
                      --------------------
                      I mean outside of the one year of Pudge I can't think of one post-CJ catcher we had that was really worth a damn.
                      Last edited by emkayseven; 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Paul LoDuca remains my most hated Marlin of all-time.
                        --------------------
                        Yes, even more than Heath Bell.
                        Last edited by Nick; 11-18-2014, 02:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• 2005 Paul Lo Duca had a 92 OPS+, 25% CS, and 8 errors. He was an All Star.

2014 Jarrod Saltalamacchia had an 89 OPS+, 19% CS, and 15 errors and he's the worst and deserves to be traded.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Baker Paulino platoon was pretty damn good for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                              Baker Paulino platoon was pretty damn good for us.
                              How do the defensive stats compare with Salty?

I loved Bake, but his D was even quite a bit worse than Salty's if I'm remembering correctly.

Comment

• I don't know. But they raked for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X