Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Valdespin, Solano, or whatever other minor league free agent the Marliins FO gets a hardon for in the offseason.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Two things stood out when I talked to Miami Marlins president Michael Hill in Phoenix this week. One was the importance of character when building a roster. The other was seemingly contradictory and had to do with the team’s home ballpark.

Hill brought up character after first citing track records, scouts evaluations, and statistical data.

“We look at if a player is a fit for what we are trying to do, and that’s a holistic statement,” Hill told me. “There’s more that goes into it than just the pitching, fielding and hitting. We’re bringing a personality into our clubhouse and put value in how a particular player may fit the context of our club.”

I wasn’t particularly surprised to hear Hill say that. When I visited the Marlins’ clubhouse this summer – technically, the visiting clubhouse in Atlanta – the vibe was positive. I spoke to several players and all were personable. But I did find it notable that Hill brought up character, so I asked just how much of a factor it is.

“I wouldn’t say it’s paramount, but it is part of our decision-making process,” Hill said. “We’re definitely mindful of it. It’s part of the checklist as we go through possibly acquiring a player. We want to try to make sure he fits who we are and who we’re trying to be.”

Part of who the Marlins are trying to be is a team tailored to their home field. Hill said he “wants to try to acquire players who make contact and can take advantage of those spacious gaps in Marlins Park.” That makes sense, as does his desire to have rangy defenders. When I asked about Adeiny Hechavarria, Hill said “it pays for us to have a Gold Glove candidate shortstop (because) if you look the empirical data of batting average on balls on the ground, it was high for us. We have a fast infield and a lot of ground-ball pitchers.”

Hill went on to say the organization likes “tall, power pitchers who can leverage the ball and work downhill, and get more ground balls because of it. Historically, that’s the type of pitcher we draft and develop, and acquire.”

I asked if there was any contradiction in wanting a high-ground-ball-rate pitching staff in a ballpark with arguably the fastest infield in either league.

“It’s just the nature of where we play,” responded Hill. “If there was a way to maybe grow it a little longer, we’d look at that, but it’s a domed facility. You want to make sure you keep your grass healthy.”
      http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunda...e-gm-meetings/

Comment

• ### The Marlins privately considered Kike Hernandez, acquired from Houston the Jarred Cosart trade, to be the front-runner for the second base job, but an abdominal injury sustained in Winter League play has left his status for spring training in question, according to the team. Donovan Solano will have a chance and the Marlins have inquired about a few outside options, including Emilio Bonifacio.
        Derek Dietrich, another option at second, played first base in the instructional league and is now a viable option to play first in 2015, Marlins’ vice president Marty Scott said. The Marlins ideally want to upgrade over Garrett Jones (due $5 million) at first but didn’t want to approach the Mets’ two-year, $21 million for Michael Cuddyer, who liked the Marlins.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy
        Miami Herald

1- Didn't know Kike's injury was so serious. Shouldn't he be ready for ST?
        2- Not a fan of DD at 1B
        3- Cuddyer like Marlins but we didn't bite? We might've been able to get him for even less. Isn't his family down here? Also, no state tax.
        Last edited by Big Z; 11-16-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
          Miami Herald

1- Didn't know Kike's injury was so serious. Shouldn't he be ready for ST?
          2- Not a fan of DD at 1B
          3- Cuddyer like Marlins but we didn't bite? We might've been able to get him for even less. Isn't his family down here? Also, no state tax.
          But Cuddyer would have costed the Marlins their unprotected first round pick. I don't think he would be worth that.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• True. Didn't think about that!

Comment

• The Marlins privately considered Kike Hernandez, acquired from Houston the Jarred Cosart trade, to be the front-runner for the second base job
              lol tj

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                But Cuddyer would have costed the Marlins their unprotected first round pick. I don't think he would be worth that.
                I don't think he'd be worth the contract.
                poop

Comment

• What happens in that case that you sign multiple players that have qualifying offers?

Answering my own QO question. If you sign multiple, the next highest pick is forfeited.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/11/...on-free-agency

By the way, Dietrich is playing for the Aguilas in the Dominican Winter League.
                  Last edited by Big Z; 11-17-2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• Looks like Jays won't need Salty:

@pgammo: Told Toronto got Martin for "McCann money"
                    Twitter

WOW
                    --------------------
                    @Cardinals: St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller & RHP Tyrell Jenkins to the Braves for OF Jason Heyward & RHP Jordan Walden.
                    This is shocking but glad to not have to face Heyward again.. Or Walden
                    Last edited by Big Z; 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• We're never playing the Cardinals again. Ever.

Comment

• We play them 6 times a season. We play the Braves 18 times a season.

Anyway, we just signed our superstar RF while the Braves traded theirs. Bizzaro world.

Comment

• It's also nice thinking back on the Montero/Heyward/Stanton "who's the best hitting prospect" talks and Stanton was normally behind the other two.

Present day, Montero is figuring out things in the minors and Heyward has a career OPS sub-.800 (given he's still a very good player with everything else he does) while Stanton won the HR title and might have won a MVP if he wasn't on the receiving end of a freak accident.

Comment

• We have the best defensive OF in baseball with Heyward out of Atlanta, don't we?
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by nny View Post
                            It's also nice thinking back on the Montero/Heyward/Stanton "who's the best hitting prospect" talks and Stanton was normally behind the other two.

Present day, Montero is figuring out things in the minors and Heyward has a career OPS sub-.800 (given he's still a very good player with everything else he does) while Stanton won the HR title and might have won a MVP if he wasn't on the receiving end of a freak accident.
                            We were so close to having Stanton and Heyward.

And apparently we could have gotten him today for Nate Eovaldi or something.
                            Last edited by HUGG; 11-17-2014, 12:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Russel Martin contract blows my mind

Comment

• And it's extra bad because Toronto can't just dump that shitty contact on the Jays in 2 years like everyone else would have.

Comment

Working...
                                X