This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    Not to waste to much time on this, but he'd probably comp out 5/$20, and very likely they could tac on two options on the back for say another $15-18 (total). He's four years from free agency, and he stinks, so there is a lot of bargaining power here (obviously).

If we assume Hech's defense projections hit their mark even somewhat, and if he can put up a .270/.310/.365+ slash routinely, he's probably a 2+ WAR player, which is probably a top 12-18 range SS annually. That's good value for the contract, especially the free agent years.

I wouldn't do it as the same deal is probably there in 2 years unless he really explodes, but if it's low enough it's not going to matter. He's not going to cripple the team either way. They've paid Guillen, Bell, Buck, and Buerhle double that to not be on the team lately.

They should really just give Yelich 7+option, Alvarez 5, trade Cishek, Dunn, and Eovaldi for young infielders and relievers, sign a veteran SP, and somehow convince Stanton some "$200+" number for 8-10 years is a good deal. Wait on Ozuna, Cossart, and Hech as the other buyout candidates (so to speak) until next offseason.
    You realize the Marlins think he is one of the best short stops in the game, right? They are going to overpay him.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
      You realize the Marlins think he is one of the best short stops in the game, right? They are going to overpay him.
      They are also cheap and frugal. I highly doubt they give him a 7 year $50 million contract. Even Loria realizes he's more cost effective year to year in arbitration.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        They are also cheap and frugal. I highly doubt they give him a 7 year $50 million contract. Even Loria realizes he's more cost effective year to year in arbitration.
        I'd hope so. I have doubts about how we operate sometimes. All the time.

Comment

• Marlins have been calling teams about Salty. No bites yet but if they do it looks like Realmuto will be up next year

They have gotten a number of calls on Cishek but seem willing to wait until the FA sign.

Looks like we are out on Sandoval and Tomas. The cost is too much on both
          Last edited by tjfla; 11-12-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Marlins have been calling teams about Salty. No bites yet but if they do it looks like Realmuto will be up next year

They have gotten a number of calls on Cishek but seem willing to wait until the FA sign.
            I would love to trade Salty and give Realmuto a chance at starting everyday. Hopefully last season wasn't a fluke for JT. If we trade Salty, Jones and Cishek that clears up some space (about $18MM) for us to work with in terms of free agency and trades.
            Last edited by Big Z; 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Don't really see JT's upside being higher than Salty's and I think his contract is pretty friendly. I don't think the reward is worth the risk of having a black hole at catcher again.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Depends on what you think if Sally's defense.

That one defensive stat that includes pitch framing has him at -30 runs or something, putting him at a negative WAR

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                  Don't really see JT's upside being higher than Salty's and I think his contract is pretty friendly. I don't think the reward is worth the risk of having a black hole at catcher again.
                  Agreed with this. Let Realmuto prove in AAA that last season wasn't a fluke. He had to repeat Double-A to have success there. He's not ready to take over full-time.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                    Depends on what you think if Sally's defense.

That one defensive stat that includes pitch framing has him at -30 runs or something, putting him at a negative WAR
                    I'd have to imagine it would be easier to teach Salty how to properly frame a pitch over the offseason than to turn Realmuto into a mid .700 OPS hitter next season (Salty's ceiling).

If they can somehow get a legitimate #3 or 4 starter for Salty that will help us make it with the current rotation until the All Star Break when Jose is back, then I'm fine with going with Realmuto. But like it's already been said Salty's contract isn't all that bad, and even in a down year he was still light years ahead of what we put out at the catcher position in 2013, and we should really expect at least a little improvement for next season.

I do admit we were all a bit shocked at just how bad his defense really was last year. Really needs to work with the coaching staff and work on that.

Comment

• For the record, I think you keep Salty because he's likely the best starting C we'd have next season.

But...

It's not like this is something new. I mean, he hasn't always been the worse defensive C in the majors like last year. But he's been a -10 defensive guy per 100 GS (about what to expect for a C) in his career. If teaching a guy to frame pitches was easy, finding a catcher wouldn't be so hard.

Take into consideration pitch framing and he was -1.2 WAR player last year, and a 0.9 WAR per 100 GS in his career. Jeff Mathis has 0.9 WAR last year, and 0.4 WAR per 100 GS in his career.

Is half a WAR worth 5.5m?

My answer is yes because maybe the framing stats are wrong and our pitching is already really good and fuck freeing up 5.5m when the payroll is this god damn small.

But it is an argument.

Comment

• ▪ The Marlins are believed to be interested in a couple of pitchers who could be on the trading block — the Orioles’ Ubaldo Jimenez and Reds’ Johnny Cueto — as well as a few free-agent hurlers, including Kyle Kendrick and Ervin Santana.

Jimenez would represent an expensive option for the Marlins, who are looking for a veteran pitcher to add to their rotation. The 30-year-old right-hander is still owed $39 million over the next three years. Cueto has one year left on his contract with the Reds for $10 million.
                        Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• If the Reds are really going to split the team up, I want Brandon Phillips along with a SP not named Cueto. Cueto just finished as runner up for the CY Young award and I'm not sure what we can give them to make it worth their while. Maybe we can receive a package of Latos/Phillips?

Phillips has 3/$39MM left on his contract, and Latos will make about $9MM next year. He's a FA after 2015.
                          Last edited by Big Z; 11-13-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Ubaldo was worth that coin when his WAR was 6+

Not no mo

Comment

• In regards to the Miami Herald article, I also can't see us going after Santana. I believe he got a QO from ATL; hence, we'd have to give up our 1st round pick to sign him. He's also going to want much more money than we will be willing to splurge on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                                If the Reds are really going to split the team up, I want Brandon Phillips along with a SP not named Cueto. Cueto just finished as runner up for the CY Young award and I'm not sure what we can give them to make it worth their while. Maybe we can receive a package of Latos/Phillips?

Phillips has 3/$39MM left on his contract, and Latos will make about $9MM next year. He's a FA after 2015.
                                For them to fit that into a $60 payroll, they would have to clear $20+ million, and Phillips would kill them the next two years with that on the books.

Cishek($7), Eovaldi ($3), and Dunn ($2) is $12.

Salty ($7), Jones ($5), Alvarez ($4), Hech ($2), Baker ($2), Mathis ($1.5) are the only other things to move, and you'd imagine they would move Salty, Jones, and Baker only from that list, with Salty and Baker being the only ones realistic to move.

I'm also not sure how they do that without trading Heaney, which is a non-starter as far as I am concerned for those guys. Philips is really in decline even if he is still probably a 2 WAR player. Latos for a year is ok with the draft pick compensation, but this is hardly the year to "go for it" with Fernandez missing 4 months, Heaney and Cosart not firmly established, questions marks in entire infield, etc.

Of course they would also be receiving trade assets for Cishek, Eovaldi, Salty, Dunn, and Baker in such scenario which could effectively "replace" Heaney and the infield, but this just seems way to much of a stretch. To many moving parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X