Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think they're feigning confidence so they can act completely "shocked" when Stanton doesn't accept their Mickey Mouse offer.

Comment

• I think they're gonna sign him.

/that guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        I think they're feigning confidence so they can act completely "shocked" when Stanton doesn't accept their Mickey Mouse offer.
        Like I've said before they'll make some giant offer that everyone who knows anything will know is too low but to the untrained eye will look huge and they'll spin it as "Well, we tried, but now it's time for the season and maybe we'll try again next year."

I don't know that they're smart enough to feign confidence though. I think they are actually confident they can sign him for some discount for some reason.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Haven't heard the amount or for some(read it on rumors site) but talk is while Loria is willing to break the bank it still is not as much as Stanton wants.

The reason they want to do it BEFORE the meetings is if he rejects it they will talk to teams (Boston,LAD) about possible deals. Not saying he will be dealt if he rejects the offer but if he does they will be talking to teams

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            Marlins exercise Jeff Mathis' $1.5 million option for 2015.
            Sure, whatever.

If Realmuto tears up AAA in April, I hope they're not afraid to call him up and play him because they have two guaranteed contracts ahead of him.
            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              Sure, whatever.

If Realmuto tears up AAA in April, I hope they're not afraid to call him up and play him because they have two guaranteed contracts ahead of him.
              Probably some arbitration clock issues there, but yea. Come end of June/July if Salty proves he isn't going to hit RHP anymore, no excuses.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              Like I've said before they'll make some giant offer that everyone who knows anything will know is too low but to the untrained eye will look huge and they'll spin it as "Well, we tried, but now it's time for the season and maybe we'll try again next year."

I don't know that they're smart enough to feign confidence though. I think they are actually confident they can sign him for some discount for some reason.
              He got hit in the face and will tell him and his agent you should take the 7 year deal for $175 million because it could all go away the next pitch. They will only address their side, and not the whole, but he's going to make $13-15 next year plus endorsements (which have to be coming) so he has plenty of money to "gamble" his health for two seasons.

I think if I was his agent, I would straight up tell Loria "$300, will only negotiate how many years it takes to get there. Feel free to tell Boston, NYY, CHC, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Francisco we'll sign an extension at market value." And that's it. Not sure what else this franchise can do to keep him. Would be shocked.
              Last edited by lou; 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Eh, if he's gonna OPS .700 against RHP, I can live with Salty even if the money is a little high. But they got a .600 OPS over 100 PA from Salty vs. LHP and 195 PA of a .537 OPS from Mathis overall. That doesn't work.

I'd be fine with Mathis being gone as soon as Realmuto shows any signs of being ready.
                poop

Comment

• Gotta think a no-trade has to be offered, right?
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Probably some arbitration clock issues there, but yea. Come end of June/July if Salty proves he isn't going to hit RHP anymore, no excuses.
                    --------------------

He got hit in the face and will tell him and his agent you should take the 7 year deal for $175 million because it could all go away the next pitch. They will only address their side, and not the whole, but he's going to make $13-15 next year plus endorsements (which have to be coming) so he has plenty of money to "gamble" his health for two seasons.

I think if I was his agent, I would straight up tell Loria "$300, will only negotiate how many years it takes to get there. Feel free to tell Boston, NYY, CHC, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Francisco we'll sign an extension at market value." And that's it. Not sure what else this franchise can do to keep him. Would be shocked.
                    Zero chance they offer him even that much. If I had to guess I'd bet the opening offer is something insanely insulting like 5/75 and they get up to 120 and then bow out.

I cannot imagine them offering him $175 mil.
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• I would bet they do not open with the same offer Brian McCann got last winter, but maybe they do
                      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                        Gotta think a no-trade has to be offered, right?
                        Yes, at least a significant partial.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        Zero chance they offer him even that much. If I had to guess I'd bet the opening offer is something insanely insulting like 5/75 and they get up to 120 and then bow out.

I cannot imagine them offering him $175 mil.
                        They aren't that insane to low ball that much. If arbitration is valued at $40 million (which is kind of reasonable given the circumstances), and Stanton is above Cabrera's annual value ($31), 6/$165-175 is the realistic range here. Anything less is completely insulting. I don't think he'd take $165-175 given that in two years the deal is probably 10/$300, but you have to imagine these guys are more cheap than dumb and know they will have to pay the king's ransom for him to stay. I could never see them starting at 5/$75. That's an "I'm not playing, trade me now" offer.

If I'm Stanton, I'd gamble "$40 million" in arbitration to try and get $300 in 2 years (in a better baseball city) versus taking $175 in Miami.

I think this becomes interesting if the Marlins go all in - 9/$253, which would be the second large contract in MLB history. I'm not sure you can gamble $40 with that looking you in the face because your potential gains in salary in free agency are minimal, especially 2 years from free agency. But of course, Loria has to offer it.

I suspect a 6/$175 range final offer, maybe they go all the way to $185 (top 10 contract all time) so they can have that press blurb. But won't do what's needed to sign him as it's a top 3 contract of all time.

Alternatively, I also like the idea of overpaying for 2 free agency years and doing something like 4/$110. The Scott Boras mentaility (not that he has him), is to maximize salary per year and always shoot for the next deal. If the Marlins value 2 free agency years at $35, that still lets Stanton hit free agency in his prime and Stanton has really hedged himself with $110 guaranteed. Still doubtful, but it's worth investigating what that kind of deal is.
                        Last edited by lou; 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I cannot see a circumstance where they offer him 30 mil a year. I can't even see one where they offer him 25 mil a year. I think they believe they are entitled to some non-existent hometown discount.

Comment

• He gone.

Comment

• MLBTR.com is speculating that Sandoval wants at least $17MM/year for 6 years.

With the monetary figures we see nowadays, that's not terribly bad.

Comment

• no thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X