Marlins Trade 39th Overall Pick to Pirates for Bryan Morris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Money was reinvested!! So for 1.5 million we got Morris and Gregg for this year

In a second tweet, Rosenthal adds that part of the reason behind Miami’s decision to trade their No. 39 overall pick to the Pirates in exchange for Bryan Morris was to clear room to sign another reliever
    Woooo!!!!!

Comment

All I have to say is "ooopmh."

Gregg wasn't terrible last year though.

Comment

Jose Fernandez was replaced by Randy Wolf.
        Carter Capps was replaced by Kevin Gregg and Bryan Morris.

If we lost Stanton, they'd replace him with Corey Patterson.

Comment

Money was reinvested!! So for 1.5 million we got Morris and Gregg for this year

In a second tweet, Rosenthal adds that part of the reason behind Miami’s decision to trade their No. 39 overall pick to the Pirates in exchange for Bryan Morris was to clear room to sign another reliever
          Thats not a wise reivenstment.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

This signing got me to open my Marlins memory book to worst closers ever:

Kevin Gregg
            Leo Nunez
            Matt Lindstrom
            Braden Looper
            Heath Bell
            Guillermo Mota

Ah, those were the days...

I clearly remember the day we traded/cut Braden Looper (affectionately known to me as "Pooper") as one of the happier days of my fandom.

I hated Gregg almost equally as bad. I can't believe he's back in our uni...
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post

Kevin Gregg
              Leo Nunez
              Matt Lindstrom
              Braden Looper
              Heath Bell
              Guillermo Mota

I clearly remember the day we traded/cut Braden Looper (affectionately known to me as "Pooper") as one of the happier days of my fandom.

Jorge Julio feels left out.

Comment

I'm out of the loop. What ever happened to Ryan Madson?

Comment

Originally posted by kusch View Post
                  I'm out of the loop. What ever happened to Ryan Madson?
                  He signed a one-year deal with the Reds for the 2012 season but never threw a pitch for them after undergoing Tommy John. He signed with the Angels in 2013 but was released in August (didn't pitch for them either.) He is currently a free agent.
                  Last edited by Miamarlin21; 06-02-2014, 10:01 PM.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

How could I forget Jorge Julio!!!!

Another stinky garbage pile
                    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      DFA Wolf would make me happy too

ALL OVER YOUR NECK, CHEST AND FACE

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post

Kevin Gregg
                        Leo Nunez
                        Matt Lindstrom
                        Braden Looper
                        Heath Bell
                        Guillermo Mota

Half of the dudes you named were decidedly above-average relief pitchers in their time with the Marlins.

Part of why I hate the idea of a designated closer is it makes fans hate above-average pitchers because they can't live up to a Riveran Ideal of what a relief pitcher should be.

Gregg, Nunez and Looper all had their foibles, but they probably weren't worthy of the scorn we heaped on them.

And I'm not excusing myself from that. My first reaction when they signed Kevin Gregg was to laugh, even though he had a completely respectable 125 ERA+ plus in two seasons here. It's kind of a stupid thing we do as fans.
                        poop

Comment

Always was a fan of Nunez (Oviedo). Seemed like a pitcher who made for a great set up pitcher but when thrown into the closer role just never meshed.

I'd say Gregg and Looper were worthy of the hate they got. Gregg had solid outings, but he blew quite a lot of games and was a big reason we didn't make the playoffs in some of those high win late 00's teams.

But I think the point you are making is 100% valid. So many people expect relievers to go out there and not allow a run every single time. Even a really good starting pitcher generally allows a run every 3 innings pitched or so, but when relievers do that they many times receive scorn.

At some point there'll be a manager that comes around that makes us reconsider the generally preconceived notion of a middle reliever/set up man/closer and just start putting pitchers in when they are most needed within the game, but until then we'll always have this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            Gregg had solid outings, but he blew quite a lot of games and was a big reason we didn't make the playoffs in some of those high win late 00's teams.
                            Gregg only played here 2 seasons and one of them we went 71-91.

He was on the 84-77 team and blew 9 saves (we won 2 of them) and we finished 5.5 out, so he definitely played a role in that one.
                            --------------------
                            I really have no opinion on these 2 moves. I don't care about the 39th pick in the draft and I think Morris and Gregg are somewhat better than what we have now. If we get 2013 Gregg, that'll be nice.

Whatever.
                            Last edited by HUGG; 06-03-2014, 05:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Can Jose Ceda join that list?

Comment

Can Jose Ceda join that list?
                                Any trade rumors brewing, or is this it?

Comment

Working...
                                X