Marlins Trade 39th Overall Pick to Pirates for Bryan Morris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
    Knebel is already in the show with Detroit after being drafted last year. Joey Gallo has 20+ bombs in A-Ball. Someone named Barry Bonds was 39th overall.
    Lol Detroit always rushing their prospects.

Comment

Fucking Todd wins the thread.

Comment

It's like trading a $5 scratch off for moldy pizza crust. Yeah the scratch off probably isn't a winner and even if it is, chances are you win like $3 bucks. But give me a chance to win that jackpot over some moldy pizza crust.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          It's like trading a $5 scratch off for moldy pizza crust. Yeah the scratch off probably isn't a winner and even if it is, chances are you win like $3 bucks. But give me a chance to win that jackpot over some moldy pizza crust.
          Mainge just beat Todd and won the thread.

Comment

More moves are to follow, and at least one is expected before Thursday’s First-Year Player Draft.
            Stanton extension is the only move I could possibly care about in a positive way, I'd guess.
            --------------------
            Everything else is guaranteed to be a shortsighted attempt to prop up this season, which should not be a priority at all.
            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 06-02-2014, 12:58 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              Stanton extension is the only move I could possibly care about in a positive way, I'd guess.
              DFA Wolf would make me happy too
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Trading for Bell and Oviedo would be the best!

Comment

It came down to this

The FO saw a guy who can help out our bullpen now instead of having to wait for 3/4 years or even never.

They made a few offers actually to teams as the 1.5 million dollar slot helps teams draft better guys since they get a bigger draft pool however most teams were not ready to trade yet and only had to Thursday to make deals.

So it seems to they had been shopping the pick(draft pool cash) around and Pitt took the deal

Comment

You've explained some variation of this several times, but it still sucks.

Comment

And Morris really isnt very good so I dont see how he "helps". Seems like more of the same.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        It came down to this

The FO saw a guy who can help out our bullpen now instead of having to wait for 3/4 years or even never.

They made a few offers actually to teams as the 1.5 million dollar slot helps teams draft better guys since they get a bigger draft pool however most teams were not ready to trade yet and only had to Thursday to make deals.

So it seems to they had been shopping the pick(draft pool cash) around and Pitt took the deal
                        Any word on who else they're talking about acquiring?

Comment

I think this is dumb as like someone said, you gamble on the upside (i.e. Stanton was a 2nd rounder) and not have a whatever middle reliever for a few years, but at the same time the 39th best player in a normal draft could arguably/probably be a reliable middle reliever. (note, not saying this guy is reliable but he has a chance with the GB).

I just googled it quick and found this "redraft 2010" based on the 2005 draft (which is still wildly inaccurate after 5 years of evaluation which shows how much of a crapshoot this really is. Yes, we have a Sean West and Chris Volstad reference coming, brace yourself). - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2010&fext=.jsp

Some of those names straight up flamed out, and some of them are just completely ordinary (i.e. Will Venable, Mitchell Boggs, Cam Maybin) players no one cares about besides that one good season they had.

Looking at something like that, value wise, I don't this is a stretch. They got a MLB arm and didn't have to pay $1.5 million or whatever for it. That is something right there. (of course, you'd like to see that $1.5 get reinvested into something on the team and not lorias wallet)

I don't hate it because of the return, I hate it because (and especially as a small market). Gamble, go for broke. The draft is such a crapshoot don't go for the floor. Go for the ceiling. These scrap middle relievers can be found, and there is a boatload of arms 6-18 months away where he may get pushed out naturally.

Just more crap. As a side note, Ryan Webb is having an awesome season.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            I think this is dumb as like someone said, you gamble on the upside (i.e. Stanton was a 2nd rounder) and not have a whatever middle reliever for a few years, but at the same time the 39th best player in a normal draft could arguably/probably be a reliable middle reliever. (note, not saying this guy is reliable but he has a chance with the GB).

I just googled it quick and found this "redraft 2010" based on the 2005 draft (which is still wildly inaccurate after 5 years of evaluation which shows how much of a crapshoot this really is. Yes, we have a Sean West and Chris Volstad reference coming, brace yourself). - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2010&fext=.jsp

Some of those names straight up flamed out, and some of them are just completely ordinary (i.e. Will Venable, Mitchell Boggs, Cam Maybin) players no one cares about besides that one good season they had.

Looking at something like that, value wise, I don't this is a stretch. They got a MLB arm and didn't have to pay $1.5 million or whatever for it. That is something right there. (of course, you'd like to see that $1.5 get reinvested into something on the team and not lorias wallet)

I don't hate it because of the return, I hate it because (and especially as a small market). Gamble, go for broke. The draft is such a crapshoot don't go for the floor. Go for the ceiling. These scrap middle relievers can be found, and there is a boatload of arms 6-18 months away where he may get pushed out naturally.

Just more crap. As a side note, Ryan Webb is having an awesome season.
                            Money was reinvested!! So for 1.5 million we got Morris and Gregg for this year

In a second tweet, Rosenthal adds that part of the reason behind Miami’s decision to trade their No. 39 overall pick to the Pirates in exchange for Bryan Morris was to clear room to sign another reliever

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Money was reinvested!! So for 1.5 million we got Morris and Gregg for this year

In a second tweet, Rosenthal adds that part of the reason behind Miami’s decision to trade their No. 39 overall pick to the Pirates in exchange for Bryan Morris was to clear room to sign another reliever
                              Ahh so they followed the old "2 bricks with one stone" concept. The only issue is that they got 2 pieces of shit with the trade of one pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                                Ahh so they followed the old "2 bricks with one stone" concept. The only issue is that they got 2 pieces of shit with the trade of one pick.

Hey Loria needed the 1.5 million so he could fit Gregg into the budget.

That was the funniest part of the whole thing because the FO sounded like Loria ok'ed them to spend the whole 14 million and if they wanted Gregg it would have to come out of the draft pool budget instead of from Loria because he didn't have it in his 2014 budget. We aren't gonna come close to 12.5 million let alone 14 million so it wasn't like they needed to trade the pick

But ya the team got 2 RP for this year while the FO now has less to "spend" in the draft

Comment

Working...
                                X