No announcement yet.

JCR: Fernandez to Undergo Season-ending Elbow Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the biggest step we can take in injury prevention is with stuff like that. Monitoring performance in start, as it happens, rather than after the fact.

I know the Spurs' D-League affiliate wore jerseys at points last year that had computer chips in them to monitor speed, heart rate, body temperature and other stuff like that. I think that's where we're headed, if players are OK with it.
    poop

Comment

I wonder if you can go back and see it happen in the game (like him grimace or something.)
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I don't think my heart could take that.
        poop

Comment

So the entire thing could be that his mechanics have altered. Someone posted this article back in March about noticing how different Jose's delivery is this year than last year and said that this could lead to Tommy John. Check it out:

http://baseballrebellion.com/jorendu...ing-mechanics/
          Last edited by Miamarlin21; 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            I think the biggest step we can take in injury prevention is with stuff like that. Monitoring performance in start, as it happens, rather than after the fact.

I know the Spurs' D-League affiliate wore jerseys at points last year that had computer chips in them to monitor speed, heart rate, body temperature and other stuff like that. I think that's where we're headed, if players are OK with it.
            But for pitching, wouldn't that just show, boom - dude is injured. Kinda too late. Even if you know a guy is just then likely getting hurt, what do you do? Keep taking a guy out when he's almost maybe hurt? When do you let him pitch again?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
              But for pitching, wouldn't that just show, boom - dude is injured. Kinda too late. Even if you know a guy is just then likely getting hurt, what do you do? Keep taking a guy out when he's almost maybe hurt? When do you let him pitch again?
              Maybe. I'm not sure what the answer to those questions could be.

It might also help you stop an injury from getting worse. Pitcher feels discomfort due to relatively minor injury and tries to work through it, that might show up in his pitching motion or release angle, in more subtle ways than the eye can pick up.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
              So the entire thing could be that his mechanics have altered. Someone posted this article back in March about noticing how different Jose's delivery is this year than last year and said that this could lead to Tommy John. Check it out:

http://baseballrebellion.com/jorendu...ing-mechanics/
              this just makes me really sad all over
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

But it might just delay the inevitable and cause the guy to sit and wait and then sit and wait again the next time his velocity drops a bit. There might ultimately be less sitting and waiting by having surgery.

Comment

Maybe.

What we're doing right now isn't working, so we should maybe try new things, idk
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                    I think it's safe to say that it's an underlying issue rather than the innings themselves.

There's a reason the innings jump (like Prior) means pitchers fall apart, and there's a reason that the carefully monitored innings (like Jose, Harvey and Strasburg) don't work either.
                    I thought with Pryor his mechanics were known to be pretty awful when he was drafted?
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I buy the increased workload at younger age train of thought. Especially since these kids are learning/throwing breaking pitches at very young ages. It's not a single event (although major abuse like Prior certainly is bad in its own right). Its slow destruction until it eventually wears and tears, especially after 3-5 years of professional ball. They didn't come up throwing like that 50 years ago, let alone the specialization of secondary pitches and these guys are much bigger with modern weight training, diets, etc.

Also, and not joking here and not sure anyone could ever prove anything, how about lack of steroids? I don't know shit about medicine, but I'm wondering if there is a correlation that those helped rebuild muscle/etc. to handle the stress more. I think it's an easy sell to think a ton of these guys were using and wondering if that helped the pitchers hold up say 95-05 before major regulations came into place.

Comment

• would steroids or HGH strengthen ligaments?
                        poop

Comment

• Again, no idea. But maybe it helps recovery time and/or, additional muscle mass takes stress off the joint so it can take more abuse? Have to feel its all connected at some physical level.

I don't think there is an answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combination of everything - youth breaking balls, abuse in college (for those pitchers anyways), year round throwing, over throwing in between starts, winter leagues, strenuous workouts/steroids/etc. It's just how things have developed. It just sucks for us.

Comment

• DeSclafani to start Wednesday.

Comment

• Juan C. Rodriguez ‏@JCRMarlinsbeat 45m
                              Source: Jose Fernandez expected to undergo TJ surgery by week's end in Los Angeles. #Marlins
                              Yup.

Comment

• Steroids is interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X