No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Morrison to Mariners for RHP Carter Capps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm "poo-pooing" (HA) this trade because I don't feel it was completely necessary. LoMo wasn't going to be paid any crazy amount of money and it's not like we're going to the playoffs anyway.

Could've used that money given to Jones and found a 3B, left LoMo at 1B for another year and hope he puts it together. If not, just release him after the season. If he does, great.

I don't see how trading for another 6th/7th inning reliever makes the team substantially better. The trade is more of an admission that the Marlins gave up on Morrison's potential than any sign that they believe that Capps is this great reliever.

Comment

He's not a 6th/7th inning reliever.
      --------------------
      He was the #7 prospect in the #2 system in baseball coming into 2013. This isn't just some guy.
      Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
        I'm "poo-pooing" (HA) this trade because I don't feel it was completely necessary. LoMo wasn't going to be paid any crazy amount of money and it's not like we're going to the playoffs anyway.

Could've used that money given to Jones and found a 3B, left LoMo at 1B for another year and hope he puts it together. If not, just release him after the season. If he does, great.

I don't see how trading for another 6th/7th inning reliever makes the team substantially better. The trade is more of an admission that the Marlins gave up on Morrison's potential than any sign that they believe that Capps is this great reliever.
        Who's the 3B you're signing with the Jones money? Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if Capps ends up being our setup guy next year and our closer at some point after Cishek leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
          He's not a 6th/7th inning reliever.
          --------------------
          He was the #7 prospect in the #2 system in baseball coming into 2013. This isn't just some guy.
          I see his stats in the minors were awesome. And I see he's still only 23 years old. I don't doubt he'll be a really good reliever for us with a chance to be an 8th or 9th inning guy in 2015.

I just don't care for trading starting position players for relievers. I know you need a decent bullpen to contend, but you also need a lineup that looks like you didn't throw out a bunch of little leaguers.

And I agree that the third base market sucks that I'd rather not even be giving the Jones money to a Mark Reynolds or overpaying a Juan Uribe. I'm just really scared at the future prospects of the starting lineup. There's not a lot of good position players brewing in our minor league system, and there sure as sh*t aren't too many good ones at the major league level either.

Comment

I feel like our lineup is just as good without him as it would have been with him.

Where was he gonna play?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
              I feel like our lineup is just as good without him as it would have been with him.

Where was he gonna play?
              At first. Jones in left.

Comment

Ozuna was basically equal to Morrison offensively and makes our defense vastly better.
                --------------------
                Ozuna .265/.303/.389 0.6 WAR (B-R), 1.6 WAR (FG)
                Morrison .242/.333/.375 -0.5 WAR (B-R), -0.6 WAR (FG)
                Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Which was all powered by his first few weeks of .400 BABIP. He was a very bad offensive player for most of his time here.
                  --------------------
                  I'd much rather him be getting him MILB at-bats
                  --------------------
                  .544 OPS over his last 40 games. He's not ready.
                  Last edited by Mainge; 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Morrison hit .220/.314/.304 in his final 258 PA last season after his hot start.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                    .544 OPS over his last 40 games. He's not ready.
                    Ozuna hit .227/.259/.350 in his last 40 games, that's .609.
                    LoMo hit .205/.291/.259 in his last 40 games.
                    Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2013, 04:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Oh my bad. .544 in his last 37 games

Comment

• Hes just another young promising reliever.

Comment

• I agree completely with mainge on all points. Trading logan and releasing webb to sign jones and trade for capps seems like a whole lot of nothing and I'd rather have seen if Logan could have actually put it all together but at the same time it's whatever because he has been absolutely terrible so far in his MLB career. It's very hard for me to get excited for RP which is what we always seem to trade for. I'd rather have Mercer if he was actually on the table.

Comment

• Keith Law's take on Capps:
                            In exchange for Morrison, a player for whom Miami has seemed to have little use since his injuries started to take their toll on his performance, the Marlins receive reliever Carter Capps, who throws 100 mph but looks as though he might dismember himself with every pitch. Capps comes from a low slot and is death to righties but has no weapon to get lefties out, and he will never have even average command with his delivery. He's a disappointing return for a player who was once among the top 25 prospects in the game.
                            Law isn't always right, but that's not a whole lot to be excited about.

Here is what he said about LoMo FWIW:
                            The Morrison move carries similar risk for the Mariners, as he's also had his share of knee problems, especially over the last two years. Morrison is a disciplined hitter who, as a prospect, looked as if he'd hit for average and power. But when your lower half isn't healthy, it's hard to produce the kind of hard contact that Morrison has to create to be valuable.

He has qualified for the batting title once, in 2011, and failed to reach 100 games in either of the last two years. Like Hart, he's a bad defensive outfielder when healthy, so one of these two guys has to play first with the other at DH, perhaps rotating the two to keep both healthy as much as possible. Stephania Bell pointed out to me in March 2012 that Morrison was having hip issues and in general needed to strengthen his lower half to avoid further challenges to his hips and knees, a prophecy that certainly came true and presents a specific need to Seattle's conditioning staff to address right away with LoMo.

Comment

• I hate analysts that claim a pitcher will never be able to master something because of an odd throwing motion.
                              Anyways Lomo sucks and its better to get something with potential.
                              And so what if Capps can never get lefties out if hes lights out against righties. He will be able to walk most lefties he faces or he probably won't be in the situation.

Comment

• Really short sighted considering how tough Marlins Park is on hitters. Team should acquire FA make good pitching and boost value for deadline trades (a la San Diego) rather than actively trade for it. Sign pitchers, inflate their value, trade for position players.

Whatever, this team is not run by smart people.

Comment

Working...
                                X