Marlins Trade Morrison to Mariners for RHP Carter Capps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    We should especially if a Top team has a Closer out injured. Just promise when we do trade him u won't say Wittgren sucks and we should have gave Cishek an extension
    Yeah Hugg, promise.

Comment

He's not a mid-tier relief prospect. He's a top-tier relief prospect.

Morrison's a .235/.313/.402 in his last 1050 MLB PA. He's been bad now for way longer than he was good. Cut your losses before he becomes totally valueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
        They got a potential closer for Morrison. If he had another year like he did this season, they would have been non-tendering him in the fall. I feel like this is pretty good asset management.

I mean, if you think he's gonna bust out this season, then sure, I guess. Why risk it though?
        Good relievers can be found. It's much harder to find a good position player.

I believe I would have rather rolled the dice on Lomo figuring it out than to artificially cap his upside by trading him for a reliever. Even if you think his chances of figuring it out are something like 5-10%, it's still something that I'd do.

Definitely give me Webb + Lomo, and Jones/Ruge in LF over Capp and Jones.

Comment

It is much harder to find a good position player. Lucky for us, no good ones were involved in this transaction.
          --------------------
          I feel like it's pretty easy to find a 1B to put up a .700 OPS.
          Last edited by HUGG; 12-11-2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
            I don't know a ton about Capps, but he doesn't look overly impressive. If he ends up being a closer and LoMo continues to flame out then it's a good trade. Unfortunately it seems mid tier relief prospects like this are a coin flip. The Marlins have seen their share fail to impress. I'm not overly upset here, but if you weren't going to get much of a return for LoMo I just don't see why you don't hold onto him and hope he finally puts it together. It's not like he doesn't have the talent, the guy hit 23 HRs a couple years back. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to turn it around, but it's not impossible. Obviously that's what the Mariners are hoping for.
            If Logan Morrison lives up to his potential in the future, he'll just become the next Garrett Jones. Those players just aren't worth much via trade. A "coin flip" reliever is just fine for him. He was given enough time to prove himself here and it didn't work out.

Comment

If Morrison played a different position, I might feel differently. At this point, I feel like the odds he even becomes a league-average first baseman are pretty small.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                If Logan Morrison lives up to his potential in the future, he'll just become the next Garrett Jones. Those players just aren't worth much via trade. A "coin flip" reliever is just fine for him. He was given enough time to prove himself here and it didn't work out.
                Yep rather take a chance on Capps doing something in the pen then LoMo getting hurt again and us getting nothing next year

Comment

It is much harder to find a good position player. Lucky for us, no good ones were involved in this transaction.
                  Purposely ignoring what I said makes you some kind of Daft/Todd hybrid. Is this really what you want?

Comment

He's not a mid-tier relief prospect. He's a top-tier relief prospect.

Morrison's a .235/.313/.402 in his last 1050 MLB PA. He's been bad now for way longer than he was good. Cut your losses before he becomes totally valueless.
                    With terrible defensive value and bad knees. He's probably just going to DH in Seattle.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Mainge View Post

Definitely give me Webb + Lomo, and Jones/Ruge in LF over Capp and Jones.
                    I think this is dependent on what you think of Marcell Ozuna.
                    Last edited by Erick; 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Mainge, I would absolutely take a high upside relief pitcher over a 10% chance LoMo "busts out" into a league average player.

He's not that valuable. Even if he did have a good year, he'd be in his 2nd arbitration year, 2 years from free agency, at a relatively easy position to fill. How much were we ever going to get for him anyway?

It's not like we'd sign him to a contract at any point.

Cut your losses now, get a valuable relief arm and move on. It's better than getting nothing in a year (which is easily the most likely scenario).

Comment

Mainge, I would absolutely take a high upside relief pitcher over a 10% chance LoMo "busts out" into a league average player.

He's not that valuable. Even if he did have a good year, he'd be in his 2nd arbitration year, 2 years from free agency, at a relatively easy position to fill. How much were we ever going to get for him anyway?

It's not like we'd sign him to a contract at any point.

Cut your losses now, get a valuable relief arm and move on. It's better than getting nothing in a year (which is easily the most likely scenario).
                        Fair enough. I would not.

Comment

Yeah, I gave up on Morrison being a decent player anytime soon halfway through last season. He is a horrible fielder wherever you put him, and his plate discipline isn't nearly as good as it was when he was the 22nd ranked prospect in baseball (we all thought he would be Nick Johnson 2.0 at the very least).

I don't like trading position players who can contribute even a little on the field for relievers. We have a good deal of decent relievers in the minors/majors, and cheap non closer relievers are simple enough to find in free agency (hell, we just let a guy who's a similar style player in Capps go in Ryan Webb over a matter of $1-2 million).

I didn't expect much in a LoMo trade, but that's also the reason I didn't want to trade him. Stop trading our players when they're value hits at or near rock bottom. Inb4Cappshaspotential blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            Yeah, I gave up on Morrison being a decent player anytime soon halfway through last season. He is a horrible fielder wherever you put him, and his plate discipline isn't nearly as good as it was when he was the 22nd ranked prospect in baseball (we all thought he would be Nick Johnson 2.0 at the very least).

I don't like trading position players who can contribute even a little on the field for relievers. We have a good deal of decent relievers in the minors/majors, and cheap non closer relievers are simple enough to find in free agency (hell, we just let a guy who's a similar style player in Capps go in Ryan Webb over a matter of $1-2 million).

I didn't expect much in a LoMo trade, but that's also the reason I didn't want to trade him. Stop trading our players when they're value hits at or near rock bottom. Inb4Cappshaspotential blah blah blah.
                            I don't see how Capps is similar to Webb.

Comment

The problem with slomo has always been that he showed an elite skill every year in the minors, but never put them all together.

In the majors, he's managed to just be bad at everything.

My first reaction to this was, "that's all?" But it's probably right. Lomo is not good.
                              poop

Comment

I'm not poopoo-ing the trade, either. It's fine

Comment

Working...
                                X