Marlins Trade Morrison to Mariners for RHP Carter Capps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    The return seems appropriate for LoMo, I just don't see why were so desperate to deal him if we weren't gonna significantly upgrade our situation at 1B.
    Because Loria and management hate him
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Cishek, Ramos, Capps, Koehler, Caminero
      Dunn, Jennings

Is pretty nasty however

Comment

Mariners #7 prospect in the 2013 BA Book

A catcher in high school, Capps redshirted in his first year at NCAA Division II Mount Olive (N.C.) before converting to pitcher in 2010. After going 24-1 in two seasons, he signed for $500,000 in 2011. Capps did not allow an earned run in May or June and became the third player from the 2011 draft to reach the majors. Capps' fastball is easily an 80 pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale. He sits at 97-99 mph and had the second-highest average fastball velocity (98.3) in the majors in 2012., behind only the Royals' Kelvin Herrera. Capps also misses bats with a plus breaking ball. It has slider velocity and movement at 83-86 mph, but he calls it a curveball and uses a curveball grip. His third pitch is an average changeup. Capps hides the ball well, and his drop-and-drive, crossfire deliver makes it seem as though he's starting pitches behind the backs of righthanders. His to-do list includes sharpening his command and getting quicker to the plate with runners on base. Capps already has earned a late-inning role for the Mariners in 2013. He has the potential to develop into a dominant closer.
        we did it

Comment

That's an impressive scouting report
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            Cishek, Ramos, Capps, Koehler, Caminero
            Dunn, Jennings

Is pretty nasty however
            Don't forget whatever FA we sign on a minor league deal who comes in and is lights out too

Comment

But now I'm very worried about first and third base.
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Basically, we subtracted Logan Morrison and Ryan Webb from the team and added Garrett Jones and Carter Capps. The guy with the highest upside of the four is Carter Capps. That's the way I see it.

Comment

Jones is better than Morrison too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                    But now I'm very worried about first and third base.
                    1B is absolutely fine if they decide to platoon Jones with Ruggiano or Lucas (or Delmon Young, whatever).

1B > 2B considering that we're going to start Furcal this year.

Comment

Sure but you could have also just kept Webb!

Comment

Webb was nothing really-he can be replaced. The issue people have with the Webb thing is that he was given away for nothing,we could have offered him the contract and traded him for a prospect very easily

Capps will probably be more of a setup guy for us. It looks like Wittgren is being groomed as the closer for when we trade Cishek and Suggs is at best a 1 inning guy

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          Jones is better than Morrison too.
                          If he's used correctly. Kind of a big if.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Sure but you could have also just kept Webb!
                            Maybe they're on a budget and Webb's 1.5 helped them sign some of the guys they signed. Or maybe they just didn't like Ryan Webb. He put up nice ERA's, but his work mainly came in low-leverage situations. He can't miss bats and his shutdown/meltdown ratio is terrible.

Comment

I like the idea of taking a flier on Young at first. Also a big fan of Rugg. That would be a decent rotation at first I suppose.

I have convinced myself that this is actually a pretty damn good deal. We essentially traded our unwanted crap for their top BP prospect and saved money doing so.
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Let's see if there's any corresponding moves made at 3B. All reports indicate that we are still looking; therefore, I don't think we can pencil in Solano/Dietrich at the time being. I would love to give Chavez a shot and platoon him with Lucas.

Comment

Working...
                                X