Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    He didn't receive a qualifying offer from Boston, so I don't believe so.
    Awesome. I love it then.

Comment

• Rmc is correct. No pick
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        The amount of bats you're talking about is acquiring at least 3 significant bats, and that's not including having at least two "breakouts" from Yelich, Marisnick/Ozuna(CF), Morrison/1B, and Hechavarria/Dietrich(MI). It's just a lot to ask for.

Tank for Wiggins
        Our WAR for IF last year
        C: -1.8
        1B: -1.6
        2B: -0.5
        3B: -0.1
        SS: -2.6

If we replaced those 5 position with 2 WAR players, we're talking about an increase of almost 17 wins. Add Yelich for a full year (0.3 WAR out of LF thanks to Pierre) and you're looking to closer to 20.

Honestly, I think trading Yunel is really biting us in the ass right now. ~3.5 WAR last year. If we had him at SS, Satly at C, sign two of Ellis/Kelly J/Infante/Uribe/Whoever for 2B and 3B, and replace Lomo if we're serious about competing with one of the many 1b options out there, we'd be looking at being at least a .500 team with potential for break out based off the young guys in our rotation and outfield. We'd be old in the IF, but the only person listed who'd really get more than two years is Infante. And this would be far from an expensive roster, adding about 30-40 mil (including salty's salary) to our current roster, with plenty of trade chips if we're competing and need holes filled.

Instead, we're stuck with the black hole of Hech at SS, hoping for Dietrich to be average, still holding out LoMo figures it out and stops he's streak of negative WAR seasons, and whatever 2b/3b we grab off the scrapheap on a MILB deal so I see it as incredibly unlikely we compete. But we have one of the best hitters and one of the best pitchers in the entire game on our roster, a super prospect who had a solid rookie campaign in LF, a good young rotation, break out potential in CF...we need to be looking to compete soon while we still have this shit, not squander it like when we had Cabs/JJ/Hanley and did shit.
        Last edited by nny; 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• I like the thoughts posted by nny.

As you said though, likely that we will give Hech more full-time ABs next season. I say we should at least have a veteran on the squad who can light a fire under his ass and if he busts we drop him like Brantley.

My thoughts:

1. Love the Salty pick up.
          2. We should try to bring a nice return for Lomo while his market is (seemingly) hot.
          3. If 2, then we need to bring in 2 more INF. I really want to see Dietrich get more PT, I think if he ups his BA about .030 and maintains the SLUG that he displayed last season, he would be a nice fit at 3B for the time being. The two signings would need to be 2B and 1B. I like the idea of bringing in Mark Ellis, another veteran - with great defensive stats mind you. As for 1B:
          A. Any chance either Yelich or Marisnick can play 1B? I guess neither really have great power potential for the position, and Marisnick is too great of an athlete to play 1B.
          B. What better alternatives are currently in the market?

If rumors are true, the whisperings around baseball regarding Miami are generally positive to me as a fan. Good day.
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Just noticed Redsox had given Napoli a qualifying offer. Therefore, we'd have to give a pick in return if we signed him. Also, I think he was bound to sign a 3/$39 million deal with BOS last offseason before they found a medical issue.

Anyone have an idea of what pick (grade/round) he would be worth?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
              Just noticed Redsox had given Napoli a qualifying offer. Therefore, we'd have to give a pick in return if we signed him. Also, I think he was bound to sign a 3/$39 million deal with BOS last offseason before they found a medical issue.

Well isn't the Marlins' 1st round pick protected? I think it is because of last year's record). Meaning if we were to sign Napoli (assuming we didn't sign another QO FA first), it would cost a 2nd round pick. At least I believe that's how it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                Just noticed Redsox had given Napoli a qualifying offer. Therefore, we'd have to give a pick in return if we signed him. Also, I think he was bound to sign a 3/$39 million deal with BOS last offseason before they found a medical issue.

Our first round pick is protected, so we'd lose our second round pick. That wouldn't be too bad for adding a nice hitter.

Comment

• A number that seems to be getting lost in the split statistics:

Salty had 40 doubles last season. Very impressive.

2012: 17 doubles, 25 homers (448 PA)
                  2013: 40 doubles, 14 homers (470 PA)
                  - Doubles good for 6th in the AL, one behind Cano, 2 behind Pedroia and Chris Davis. (!)

Seems like he made an adjustment to his swing and plate approach last season. Although the overall boost to SLUG wasnt much, that bodes well for spacious Marlins Park.
                  --------------------
                  Multiple sources report deal is completed
                  Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                    A number that seems to be getting lost in the split statistics:

Salty had 40 doubles last season. Very impressive.

2012: 17 doubles, 25 homers (448 PA)
                    2013: 40 doubles, 14 homers (470 PA)
                    - Doubles good for 6th in the AL, one behind Cano, 2 behind Pedroia and Chris Davis. (!)

Seems like he made an adjustment to his swing and plate approach last season. Although the overall boost to SLUG wasnt much, that bodes well for spacious Marlins Park.
                    --------------------
                    Multiple sources report deal is completed
                    He's a line drive hitter. That should play well at Marlins Park. I read someone say that his numbers should dip a bit at that Park, but while his HR numbers probably will, his BA and OPS could actually get better with that huge outfield. I like the move.

Comment

• .294/.350/.523 vs RHP in 2013
                      .263/.327/.469 vs RHP career

It's a great signing if they use him right
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by nny View Post
                      Our WAR for IF last year
                      C: -1.8
                      1B: -1.6
                      2B: -0.5
                      3B: -0.1
                      SS: -2.6

If we replaced those 5 position with 2 WAR players, we're talking about an increase of almost 17 wins. Add Yelich for a full year (0.3 WAR out of LF thanks to Pierre) and you're looking to closer to 20.

Honestly, I think trading Yunel is really biting us in the ass right now. ~3.5 WAR last year. If we had him at SS, Satly at C, sign two of Ellis/Kelly J/Infante/Uribe/Whoever for 2B and 3B, and replace Lomo if we're serious about competing with one of the many 1b options out there, we'd be looking at being at least a .500 team with potential for break out based off the young guys in our rotation and outfield. We'd be old in the IF, but the only person listed who'd really get more than two years is Infante. And this would be far from an expensive roster, adding about 30-40 mil (including salty's salary) to our current roster, with plenty of trade chips if we're competing and need holes filled.

Instead, we're stuck with the black hole of Hech at SS, hoping for Dietrich to be average, still holding out LoMo figures it out and stops he's streak of negative WAR seasons, and whatever 2b/3b we grab off the scrapheap on a MILB deal so I see it as incredibly unlikely we compete. But we have one of the best hitters and one of the best pitchers in the entire game on our roster, a super prospect who had a solid rookie campaign in LF, a good young rotation, break out potential in CF...we need to be looking to compete soon while we still have this shit, not squander it like when we had Cabs/JJ/Hanley and did shit.
                      I mean we are kind of on the same page, they need the 3 legitimate bats and some development from SS/LF/CF. Salty is one, where are the other two coming from? It's not like they buy Cano, and they can't (shouldn't) sign one of the outfielders and 'block' one of the kids.

But this is a start. Maybe they gamble of Corey Hart or something.
                      Last edited by lou; 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Official now, take all comments on the signing here: http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=6500
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• @JoeFrisaro: with Salty in fold, I'm hearing to "stay tuned" for more #Marlins moves. Looking for a couple of more bats

Twitter

Comment

• Uribe had a 5.1 WAR last year. I am saying that as I expect him to be the big "stay tuned."

Comment

• Couple more bats means addressing 1B too in my opinion.

Comment

• Frisaro brought this thing up on Twitter which I thought was kind of interesting.

He used 1/25 and I'm sure he was joking, but for the purpose of playing a game...

Cano came into the offseason expecting 300+ million according to rumors. Rumors now have him possibly not reaching 200 million.

Fangraphs played a game last year in the middle of the season asking how much people would pay for one year of Mike Trout.

As of right now, the hole on our team is the infield. Our pitching is pretty good and has some good depth. We have a potential superstar in our OF (Stanton) and a guy who could become pretty good quickly (Yelich). Saltalamacchia makes the catching situation better.

Say you take a chance with Dietrich/Morrison on the corners (maybe sign a couple of cheap RH bats to platoon them)...

How much would you pay for one year of Robinson Cano?

Comment

Working...
                                X