Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    The Marlins' self-imposed budgetary limitations and philosophical opposition to spending on free agency
    Easily the most gentle way someone has said, "Mickey Mouse Organization".

Comment

• @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Marlins made recent offer to Saltalamacchia, terms not known. #RedSox previously made two-year offer, per @JonHeymanCBS.
      Twitter

Finally some action, although I'm not a fan.

Comment

He's a young-ish player who maybe turns into something down the road.

The Marlins' self-imposed budgetary limitations and philosophical opposition to spending on free agency means the team has to look for upside when possible.
        You're right. I just don't think he has upside. There's nothing in the metrics to suggest that there's something to be excited about with him. He's just pretty bad.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Big Z View Post
        Twitter

Finally some action, although I'm not a fan.
        I'd rather have Arencibia.
        Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• He's the one with a .763 OPS over 1300 PA's in the last three seasons, right?

I do not understand how players are being evaluated anymore.
          poop

Comment

• He's the one who's going to cash in on what might've been a career year last year. He's probably going to get something like 3/36, maybe more.

Comment

• @JonHeymanCBS: #marlins have batted around napoli and loney a bit. Like salty (west palm), Nap is local (hollywood, fla.) Product
              Twitter

Ok so we are going to turn into the Red Sox of the south? Salty, Napoli, Middlebrooks..

I think I would take Napoli and Middlebrooks; Salty I'm not too sure of. Think if prefer Arencibia>Salty as well.

Comment

• I seriously don't understand anything anymore.

They shouldn't get bad players for cheap. They shouldn't get good players for money.
                poop

Comment

• I don't think that Jarrod Saltalamacchia is that good.

Comment

• He has a career .795 OPS against RHP. He's pretty good.
                    --------------------
                    Marlins catchers put up a .529 OPS last season. Every player is good compared to that
                    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                    poop

Comment

• And Mathis hits better vs. lefties (not good, but better than he does vs. right).

Could also put Saltalamacchia at 1B vs. R when Jose pitches, since I imagine they're going to keep having Mathis catch him, depending on what the rest of the roster looks like.

Comment

• @flasportsbuzz: ...Marlins, Red Sox and Twins are top contenders for C Jarrod Saltalamacchia.Marlins very much in mix.
                        Twitter

I think he goes for 3/27

Comment

He has a career .795 OPS against RHP. He's pretty good.
                          --------------------
                          Marlins catchers put up a .529 OPS last season. Every player is good compared to that
                          Ok, but he's going to get paid a lot of money. It's like you say...what's he going to add, another 1-2 wins? What's that going to do? It seems to me like the risks outweigh the rewards.

And again, a lot of this production came last year. Before last year, he was better than what we have, but not worth what he's going to get in free agency. He had a .372 .BABIP last year.
                          Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I seriously don't understand anything anymore.

They shouldn't get bad players for cheap. They shouldn't get good players for money.
                            This. Any player that is ever mentioned gets the same comment. Which catcher would get people's approval? I feel like someone could post "Marlins interested in Pudge in his prime" and the response would be "overrated and coming off a career year...pass!" I'm with you...confused.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                              Twitter

I think he goes for 3/27
                              Isn't that what Carlos Ruiz got? I'm guessing he'll get more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                Ok, but he's going to get paid a lot of money. It's like you say...what's he going to add, another 1-2 wins? What's that going to do? It seems to be like the risks outweigh the rewards.

And again, a lot of this production came last year. Before last year, he was better than what we have, but not worth what he's going to get in free agency. He had a .372 .BABIP last year.
                                Shouldn't we be trying to add wins? 1 or 2 wins on paper could actually be 5 or 6 more wins in reality. I get all the stats, but sometimes all the numbers that are thrown around take the fun out of all this. How about we just sign some good players?
                                Last edited by fauowls44; 12-02-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X