No announcement yet.

Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to see Yelich/Ruggiano/Ozuna in the OF with Stanton at 1B and Marisnick in the minors to start out next year. We'll likely get Yelich/Ozuna/Stanton with Marisnick in the minors short term and Morrison or Dobbs starting at 1B (depending on if Morrison is traded, although I doubt it).

The offense looks like it's still going to be set up to be garbage next season, and the free agency options the Marlins are looking at don't look promising (to be fair the free agency list is pretty weak when it comes to 'Marlins territory' this year).

This team has got to trade one of those starting pitchers to get some hitting help, and Jacob Turner's decent ERA last season and age (he'll start next season still at 22 years old) means that he should have some good trade value attached to him. I'm confused why Eovaldi is considered an "untouchable" at this point. He's ok, but it appears the front office might overvalue him because he throws the ball hard.

I'd personally like us to go after Phillip Hughes. He's really up and down, but I love the possibility of him on the cheap and as a #4/5 starter in Miami. I could easily see him posting a mid 3 ERA.

Fernandez/Heaney/Eovaldi/Alvarez/Hughes with guys like Flynn/Descalfani/Nicolino/Conley all at AA or higher and a few good starts away from a major league debut makes me really excited about the potential of the starting rotation. Hell, signing Hughes and having him pitch decently until July (we're probably out of playoff contention by then) and we can possibly trade him for a hitting prospect at deadline while easily replacing him with whichever pitching prospect plays the best. The Marlins could potentially rebuild their lineup through trades while keeping the starting rotation strong if done correctly. But knowing the Marlins they'll do nothing and then sell these guys after they have a down year or their value is diminished.

Comment

• Phil Hughes seems like a waste of money and time.

Comment

• I actually think it makes a ton of sense.

While this team isn't competing, I'd like to see them sign fly ball pitchers, let them inflate their value for three months playing in that park and then sell them off for whatever.

It's what San Diego has done with relievers for years.
        poop

Comment

• I think everyone would agree it comes down to pricetag.

In a world where Nolasco just got 4 years, 12m per...and is a very, very similar pitcher to Hughes (though Nolasco is coming off a lot better year..but Hughes is also 3 years younger)...I'm not too hopeful on getting Hughes for a decent contract

Comment

• Well, a lot fewer innings + more than half a run ERA worse over the last three years. I'd be pretty surprised if Hughes got too much more than one year, $8 million, with a possible option.
            poop

Comment

• I had glossed over the IP difference. There's definitley a lot of value in being able to eat up IP, so fair point.

Comment

• Wasting 8 million dollars on somethng that is so easy to acquire is just a poor use of money in my opinion. Phil Hughes is not a good pitcher. If the Marlins were interested in such a pitcher, they could've just kept Kevin Slowey or they can sign another flyball pitcher for much less.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Uuuummmm
                  When I say LoMo's value is high,I mean high for him. Teams would rather trade something for a guy who could be something then give Morales a 2 yr year for 25 million and a pick.

Teams are thinking what most of u guys think-get him play him at 1B/DH and hope he can stay healthy plus he is still cheap.

This is why we are thinking of dealing him tho-If he gets hurt or sucks it up this year he is prolly gone next year no matter what so why not trade him and get stuff for him now/let the new team deal with it.

While the story says we don't know what to do at 1B then,they have talked about Yelich or Stanton at 1B and go with an OF of Marisnick/Ozuna and one of them.

As for the SP talk,they are looking for 1 veteran arm on a 1 yr deal with a 2nd yr option. They talked to Jason Vargas and also Hughes and Malholm. The reason for the SP interest is because they wanna trade Alvarez or Turner for a bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    When I say LoMo's value is high,I mean high for him. Teams would rather trade something for a guy who could be something then give Morales a 2 yr year for 25 million and a pick.

Teams are thinking what most of u guys think-get him play him at 1B/DH and hope he can stay healthy plus he is still cheap.

This is why we are thinking of dealing him tho-If he gets hurt or sucks it up this year he is prolly gone next year no matter what so why not trade him and get stuff for him now/let the new team deal with it.

While the story says we don't know what to do at 1B then,they have talked about Yelich or Stanton at 1B and go with an OF of Marisnick/Ozuna and one of them.

As for the SP talk,they are looking for 1 veteran arm on a 1 yr deal with a 2nd yr option. They talked to Jason Vargas and also Hughes and Malholm. The reason for the SP interest is because they wanna trade Alvarez or Turner for a bat.
                    I hate the idea of Stanton at 1B. Yelich on the other hand is a good option. We must not be expecting too much of an impact bat for Alvarez/Turner. Like I said before, I think we should try for the Rockies catcher, Rosario; we can offer LoMo, Cishek and maybe Desclafini, if anything.

Tom Murphy is another name that I like who could be ready soon. He's at AA for the Rockies.
                    Last edited by Big Z; 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                      I hate the idea of Stanton at 1B. Yelich on the other hand is a good option. We must not be expecting too much of an impact bat for Alvarez/Turner. Like I said before, I think we should try for the Rockies catcher, Rosario; we can offer LoMo, Cishek and maybe Desclafini, if anything.
                      Why would the Rockies do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post

Tom Murphy is another name that I like who could be ready soon. He's at AA for the Rockies.
                        Doubt they do that,more than likely it would be a arm or 2 for him. LoMo's trade value is high for him however that is not saying much. The reason why teams wanna take a chance is because he is cheap and has potential. They also know tho if he gets hurt again he prolly won't be here next year

DeScalfani is seen more as a RP than a SP around the league and if we are patient with Cishek he can bring a massive haul back. When I mean patient I mean,wait for a closer to get hurt or some contender needing a closer-in fact some FO guys think the plan is to deal Cishek at the deadline since Wittgren and Suggs will be at AA

They want to trade Alvarez for Trumbo but LAA still has no interest in Alvarez and not too much in Turner. LAA is waiting for us to say Eovaldi but looks like we arent looking to move him at all.
                        --------------------
                        A perfect offseason for Loria would be

Trade Alvarez or Turner to LAA for Trumbo
                        Sign a Vet Innings eater to replace who they deal
                        Then either play Trumbo at 3B or Trade Morrison and play Trumbo at 1B
                        Sign Uribe to play 1B or 3B
                        Sign 2 Minor League FA RP
                        Look into another Catcher to split time with Mathis
                        Last edited by tjfla; 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          Wasting 8 million dollars on somethng that is so easy to acquire is just a poor use of money in my opinion. Phil Hughes is not a good pitcher. If the Marlins were interested in such a pitcher, they could've just kept Kevin Slowey or they can sign another flyball pitcher for much less.
                          The difference is, some team can be convinced Phil Hughes is "turning the corner" after 3 good months. That's the whole point.
                          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            The difference is, some team can be convinced Phil Hughes is "turning the corner" after 3 good months. That's the whole point.
                            So we give him a multi-year contract for about 8 million per year in hopes that a bad pitcher suddenly becomes good? Phil Hughes is a bad pitcher.

Comment

• Christ. You're right. They shouldn't do anything.
                              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-28-2013, 04:36 PM.
                              poop

Comment

• I have no problem taking a shot on Hughes, but if they are willing to spend money on something, it better be to help fix the terrible offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X